help please fellow scooby peeps

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2014, 11:22 AM
drakey27
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please fellow scooby peeps

hi guys im new here , i have a few things i need to ask really so here goes,

i have a subaru classic 2000 wrx sti turbo and i need a clutch , which one please ?
5 speed manual

also how hard is it to change the clutch as iv heard from many people that u have to take engine out ?

do u have to have to skim the flywheel ?

also the rear arches have started to go ? whats the best way round this , maybe cut rust out and weld in new plate or grind it down and treat it then fill and spray ?

and last i dunno weather to have the car resprayed or have it wrapped in vinyl ?

any replys are gratefully accepted
cheers guys
Old 08 April 2014, 12:46 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"i have a subaru classic 2000 wrx sti turbo and i need a clutch , which one please ?" - assuming standardish power then exedy is fine..
http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...gen=&searchKey=

"also how hard is it to change the clutch as iv heard from many people that u have to take engine out ? " Engine out is easiest way, but yes it is time consuming although not massively technical.

"do u have to have to skim the flywheel ?" Highly likely yes, should be around £50 to skim so worth it for peace of mind

"also the rear arches have started to go ? whats the best way round this , maybe cut rust out and weld in new plate or grind it down and treat it then fill and spray ?" Cut out and weld. There are lots of threads on rear arch rust, invariably the inside of the arch is worse than the outer

"and last i dunno weather to have the car resprayed or have it wrapped in vinyl ?" The above may be quite a job in itself, maybe bite the bullet and respray whilst fixing the arches.

Paul
Old 08 April 2014, 12:55 PM
drakey27
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks averyp2 better to do the job properly rather than a quick repair and have to keep re doin it , i dont mind if it takes time , im not in a rush in all fairness as long as i get it done so i can get to some shows in the summer , thanks again
Old 08 April 2014, 03:18 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drakey27
hi guys im new here , i have a few things i need to ask really so here goes,

i have a subaru classic 2000 wrx sti turbo and i need a clutch , which one please ?
5 speed manual

also how hard is it to change the clutch as iv heard from many people that u have to take engine out ?

do u have to have to skim the flywheel ?

also the rear arches have started to go ? whats the best way round this , maybe cut rust out and weld in new plate or grind it down and treat it then fill and spray ?

and last i dunno weather to have the car resprayed or have it wrapped in vinyl ?

any replys are gratefully accepted
cheers guys
An Exedy Clutch will be fine but dropping the box is much easier if you have ramps. Depending on the state of the clutch face plate and fly wheel will then determine if a skim is needed.

The arches are a well documented issue and are a nightmare. The main damage will be inside the arch as the sealant is porous and they rot from the inside out. A back street may charge a few hundred but a proper job is easily £1k+ if done to a high standard with new metal.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-and-rust.html

If you go to the expense of the arches, then push on with a respray but you will never get the money back unless it's a low mileage minter.