Back to the primitive

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2014, 07:25 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to the primitive

Word up ya'll.

After tearfully selling my 2010 WRX STI saloon (cost too much on finance and running costs) last year, I then got my full motorcycle license, bought one and now I've used that about once in the last month I have decided to part ex that for a 2006 WRX for less than 6K!

It is completely standard, one previous owner and 54k immaculate condition. It will be a long term project car for me. Cosmetic upgrades first methinks.

Does any have any good or bad experiences of tuning WRXs? I would like to know how much I cant get away with and what it is worth doing.

I was aiming for 300bhp and to reduce as much weight as possible.

Before anyone asks, I really can't afford an STI
Old 07 April 2014, 07:30 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a classic type R or RA
Old 07 April 2014, 07:41 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

But I much prefer the hawkeye I'm afraid!
Old 07 April 2014, 08:00 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

First off you need to attend to the 2.5 engine which is well documented as have various issues including head gasket failure. So if I were you I'd get a quote from a decent tuner/garage to make it safe before you start increasing the power. Warning aside not all 2.5's are bad, luck of the draw I believe.

Achieving 300bhp shouldn't be such a task, a full stainless system and performance air filter with remap will get you close. I'm not 100% if hawk wrx's run TD04L turbos like the blobeyes but that will be you main restriction when it comes to hitting 300bhp if it is the same. If you want to take it further than that your then looking at bigger turbo, STI injector, upgraded fuel pump, STI TMIC and remap to suit.
Old 08 April 2014, 09:03 AM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
First off you need to attend to the 2.5 engine which is well documented as have various issues including head gasket failure. So if I were you I'd get a quote from a decent tuner/garage to make it safe before you start increasing the power. Warning aside not all 2.5's are bad, luck of the draw I believe.

Achieving 300bhp shouldn't be such a task, a full stainless system and performance air filter with remap will get you close. I'm not 100% if hawk wrx's run TD04L turbos like the blobeyes but that will be you main restriction when it comes to hitting 300bhp if it is the same. If you want to take it further than that your then looking at bigger turbo, STI injector, upgraded fuel pump, STI TMIC and remap to suit.
Thanks for the tip! I know the hawkeye wrx turbos are smaller than the sti, but I dont know if the wrx turbo is the same as the blob sti. Ive heard some wrx's running around on 350+ no issues. Apparently its the gearboxs that are prone to braking.

I'm only spending 5950 on the car so can make it look good for way less than what an stI costs. Then I'll get onto the engine
Old 08 April 2014, 09:57 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

The wrx turbo won't be the same as the STI one iirc. Yes your right about the gearbox being the weak link, my wrx is running at 346 and touch wood it's fine. It's the torque that usually does it, my vf34 doesn't have a high torque curve so it's less likely to hurt the box. A lot does come down to driving style to, if your constantly launching it and ragging it then yes the box won't last long. There are some guys on here running close to 400 on standard Newage 5 speed boxes, how long they will last is unknown but it goes to show they can take more than you think.
Old 08 April 2014, 10:23 AM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
The wrx turbo won't be the same as the STI one iirc. Yes your right about the gearbox being the weak link, my wrx is running at 346 and touch wood it's fine. It's the torque that usually does it, my vf34 doesn't have a high torque curve so it's less likely to hurt the box. A lot does come down to driving style to, if your constantly launching it and ragging it then yes the box won't last long. There are some guys on here running close to 400 on standard Newage 5 speed boxes, how long they will last is unknown but it goes to show they can take more than you think.
Fortunately I'm not a standing start ragger I like going quicker in corners