ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Back to the primitive (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1001459-back-to-the-primitive.html)

dabiscuit 07 April 2014 07:25 PM

Back to the primitive

Word up ya'll.

After tearfully selling my 2010 WRX STI saloon (cost too much on finance and running costs) last year, I then got my full motorcycle license, bought one and now I've used that about once in the last month I have decided to part ex that for a 2006 WRX for less than 6K!

It is completely standard, one previous owner and 54k immaculate condition. It will be a long term project car for me. Cosmetic upgrades first methinks.

Does any have any good or bad experiences of tuning WRXs? I would like to know how much I cant get away with and what it is worth doing.

I was aiming for 300bhp and to reduce as much weight as possible.

Before anyone asks, I really can't afford an STI :(

marco58 07 April 2014 07:30 PM

Get yourself a classic type R or RA :thumb:

dabiscuit 07 April 2014 07:41 PM

But I much prefer the hawkeye I'm afraid!

Kedlestone 07 April 2014 08:00 PM

First off you need to attend to the 2.5 engine which is well documented as have various issues including head gasket failure. So if I were you I'd get a quote from a decent tuner/garage to make it safe before you start increasing the power. Warning aside not all 2.5's are bad, luck of the draw I believe.

Achieving 300bhp shouldn't be such a task, a full stainless system and performance air filter with remap will get you close. I'm not 100% if hawk wrx's run TD04L turbos like the blobeyes but that will be you main restriction when it comes to hitting 300bhp if it is the same. If you want to take it further than that your then looking at bigger turbo, STI injector, upgraded fuel pump, STI TMIC and remap to suit.

dabiscuit 08 April 2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kedlestone (Post 11399307)
First off you need to attend to the 2.5 engine which is well documented as have various issues including head gasket failure. So if I were you I'd get a quote from a decent tuner/garage to make it safe before you start increasing the power. Warning aside not all 2.5's are bad, luck of the draw I believe.

Achieving 300bhp shouldn't be such a task, a full stainless system and performance air filter with remap will get you close. I'm not 100% if hawk wrx's run TD04L turbos like the blobeyes but that will be you main restriction when it comes to hitting 300bhp if it is the same. If you want to take it further than that your then looking at bigger turbo, STI injector, upgraded fuel pump, STI TMIC and remap to suit.

Thanks for the tip! I know the hawkeye wrx turbos are smaller than the sti, but I dont know if the wrx turbo is the same as the blob sti. Ive heard some wrx's running around on 350+ no issues. Apparently its the gearboxs that are prone to braking.

I'm only spending 5950 on the car so can make it look good for way less than what an stI costs. Then I'll get onto the engine

Kedlestone 08 April 2014 09:57 AM

The wrx turbo won't be the same as the STI one iirc. Yes your right about the gearbox being the weak link, my wrx is running at 346 and touch wood it's fine. It's the torque that usually does it, my vf34 doesn't have a high torque curve so it's less likely to hurt the box. A lot does come down to driving style to, if your constantly launching it and ragging it then yes the box won't last long. There are some guys on here running close to 400 on standard Newage 5 speed boxes, how long they will last is unknown but it goes to show they can take more than you think.

dabiscuit 08 April 2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kedlestone (Post 11399639)
The wrx turbo won't be the same as the STI one iirc. Yes your right about the gearbox being the weak link, my wrx is running at 346 and touch wood it's fine. It's the torque that usually does it, my vf34 doesn't have a high torque curve so it's less likely to hurt the box. A lot does come down to driving style to, if your constantly launching it and ragging it then yes the box won't last long. There are some guys on here running close to 400 on standard Newage 5 speed boxes, how long they will last is unknown but it goes to show they can take more than you think.

Fortunately I'm not a standing start ragger I like going quicker in corners :)