ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2008 WRX, newbie advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2014, 09:15 PM
Webbz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 WRX, newbie advice please.

Last time I was in a Scooby it was a 2007 Sti PPP, but that was about four years ago. I might be about to return to the scene again though this time with a more modest 2008 WRX.
I've read that the almost bomb proof engines of that time have been replaced in the new age with ones, with units that have a tendency to go pop due to cheaper pistons amongst other things being used.
Any advice would be welcome before I make my decision. It's done 44,000 miles, not been modified and will come with a 3 year warranty.
Thanks, Webbz.
Old 05 April 2014, 09:17 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Webbz
Last time I was in a Scooby it was a 2007 Sti PPP, but that was about four years ago. I might be about to return to the scene again though this time with a more modest 2008 WRX.
I've read that the almost bomb proof engines of that time have been replaced in the new age with ones, with units that have a tendency to go pop due to cheaper pistons amongst other things being used.
Any advice would be welcome before I make my decision. It's done 44,000 miles, not been modified and will come with a 3 year warranty.
Thanks, Webbz.
i bet the warranty isnt worth the paper it will be written on,save for a rebuild...............
Old 05 April 2014, 09:49 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Webbz
Thanks, Webbz.
Type into Google "2007 2.5 STi engine failures" and then tell me about your bomb proof 2007 STi engine.

The WRX engines are not unknown to go bang but appear to do so less often. Go and enjoy your car and don't worry about it. If it goes bang pick up the phone to API or Engine Tuner.