Sponsored by:

stroker fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2014, 11:56 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroker fuel consumption

Hi lads looking for some answers from people running 2.1 stroker engines and bigger turbos

I will be going for a 2.1 stroker conversion on my 2003 sti and bigger turbo some point this year and will be aiming for 450 bhp or there abouts
And i would like to know whats fuel consumption is like compaired to a impreza 2003 sti with some mods and mapped to 350 bhp.

The answer wont phase me from going for the 2.1 stroker but would just like to know what to expect.

Also whats it like to drive a stroker engine and whats the performance like

Cheers
Old 22 March 2014, 12:23 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Subscribing as interested for the same question but in a classic
Old 22 March 2014, 06:04 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Niz mate,it all depends how your car is mapped and driven on a daily basis,but to utilise the extra capacity and to get more power you have to get more air into the engine and fuel basic physics,is your 2.0 litre giving you trouble?As they say if it's not broke no need to fix,I would tune the 2.0 litre Sti engine up to those power regions first and if it ever lets go then rebuild,the Sti engine is fully capable of taking those power levels,but to answer your previous question once you are heading to the 450 plus bhp levels you better have shares in VPower as you will be definitely making numerous stops for refills,it comes with the territory.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 22 March 2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 22 March 2014, 07:07 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Niz mate,it all depends how your car is mapped and driven on a daily basis,but to utilise the extra capacity and to get more power you have to get more air into the engine and fuel basic physics,is your 2.0 litre giving you trouble?As they say if it's not broke no need to fix,I would tune the 2.0 litre Sti engine up to those power regions first and if it ever lets go then rebuild,the Sti engine is fully capable of taking those power levels,but to answer your previous question once you are heading to the 450 plus bhp levels you better have shares in VPower as you will be definitely making numerous stops for refills,it comes with the territory.SJ.
cheers SJ.

no my engine is perfect as far as i am aware with only 56k on the clock nothing wrong at all starts good and no issues on the road.

I was wanting the stroker for 450 max and so the engine is new and peace of mind that it is more reliable.

my impreza has for power mods

uprated fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
FMIC
rcm induction
decat
blitz nur spec exhaust
andy forrest remap to between 345 to 350 what he said

just wanting to know tho as already the fuel consumption is bad as it is LOL
but I dont mind as I work abroad on rotation when on my month all i drive the impreza for is going to the shops and driving for fun.
is the 400 to 450 power level going to drasticly drop the fuel consumption or will it just be slightly less.

it might be a idea just to go for a new turbo with gt spec headers and bigger injectors and aim for 400 would that be possible with the mods above ?

also I have the hi and low boost maps
would switching to low boost over a long journey driving mildly make a big difference in fuel consumption.

as I have not had a chance to try this out for my self.

cheers
Old 22 March 2014, 07:32 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Niz as I said before,if you want more power the only Rub really is the greater fuel cost,but it's not really a biggie for all the fun you will be having.The power levels you are thinking about can be achieved without fear of the engine destroying itself,So yeah I would get bigger injectors,turbo,headers,etc... and get it mapped you will be surprised how quick and how much reliable power you can tune out of the Sti 2.0 litre unit,my car before was pushing 430+ bhp with similar modifications that you are thinking of and NEVER missed a beat that's why the engine is now nestled in my wife's car ready for some more rinsing.SJ.
Old 22 March 2014, 07:38 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Niz as I said before,if you want more power the only Rub really is the greater fuel cost,but it's not really a biggie for all the fun you will be having.The power levels you are thinking about can be achieved without fear of the engine destroying itself,So yeah I would get bigger injectors,turbo,headers,etc... and get it mapped you will be surprised how quick and how much reliable power you can tune out of the Sti 2.0 litre unit,my car before was pushing 430+ bhp with similar modifications that you are thinking of and NEVER missed a beat that's why the engine is now nestled in my wife's car ready for some more rinsing.SJ.
cool bud thats what i will do

turbo probably md321H , bigger injectors and gt spec headers and another andy forrest remap and aim for 400
Old 22 March 2014, 07:46 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizmo80
cool bud thats what i will do

turbo probably md321H , bigger injectors and gt spec headers and another andy forrest remap and aim for 400
It just makes more sense that way if you had the 2.5 then that would be a different matter,I don't know what brakes you have on your car mate,but just make sure that you uprate as the standard brembo disc and pads at that power level is none existent,That's why my car was so nice to drive fast as I made sure that the supporting mods were looked at and upgraded adequately to match my final power output,just a heads up matebut just make sure that you have the right balance between your cars power,suspension,brakes,etc.....SJ.

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2014, 07:55 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

It just makes more sense that way if you had the 2.5 then that would be a different matter,I don't know what brakes you have on your car mate,but just make sure that you uprate as the standard brembo disc and pads at that power level is none existent,That's why my car was so nice to drive fast as I made sure that the supporting mods were looked at and upgraded adequately to match my final power output,just a heads up matebut just make sure that you have the right balance between your cars power,suspension,brakes,etc.....SJ.
I am looking at tarox 6 BBK soon

also I have just got installed coilovers with front and rear whiteline heavy duty anti roll bars with billet drop links and geo set up
will buy a anti lift kit for handling too

agree fully there is no point being able to drive fast if the handling and braking are not up to spec as well
Old 22 March 2014, 08:09 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

If your going to keep the Brembo calipers the set up that I can highly recommend is the Performance Friction two piece disc and Zrated compound pads,I have gone through quite a lot of disc and pads since I brought my car in 2004 and since first using the Brembo calipers with the Perfomance Friction set up it can't be touched it's the best,trust me,Anger on here was running the same set up on his 2.35 trooper project 550+bhp and he done numerous track days and also at the nurburgring and commented to me just how good they were,just another option for you to look at Mate.SJ.
Old 22 March 2014, 09:17 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

How much is the stroker/turbo conversion going to cost? £4k? Why on earth are you worried about fuel consumption?
Old 22 March 2014, 09:27 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
How much is the stroker/turbo conversion going to cost? £4k? Why on earth are you worried about fuel consumption?
Gear head if you had read my posts properly mate I said i am not bothered about MPG
As i am away abroad 6 months of the year and when i am home all i use the car for is going shopping and going out driving for fun pal.

I was wanting to know if it would be really bad as if i decide to do it and it is very bad mpg
I will buy a second car like a bmw 320d for carting the family around and for long journeys
But if its not too bad compared to what it is already then i wont buy a second car.
Old 22 March 2014, 09:47 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not bothered about mpg then it doesn't matter.
As said above more fuel and air is needed to make the power but if you drive off boost it won't be any different really but it will need a beefier clutch so won't be as friendly to drive daily.
As sj says just tune the standard 2.0 engine as its strong enough.
Old 22 March 2014, 11:02 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Due to mine only currently running 288BHP on a TD04, yellows and standard exhaust my input is limited. Given that its running standard power basically, the MPG is exactly the same as it was before I put the 2.1 in. I can only imagine as I increase the power with further mods, I'm increasing the engine's capacity to draw in air, and where there's air there must be fuel.
The idea would would be to try to get as close to 400BHP on the "power" map without sacrificing money and spool, and have a secondary "economy" map at around my current power.
Old 22 March 2014, 11:38 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gear head if you had read my posts properly mate I said i am not bothered about MPG
As i am away abroad 6 months of the year and when i am home all i use the car for is going shopping and going out driving for fun pal.

I was wanting to know if it would be really bad as if i decide to do it and it is very bad mpg
I will buy a second car like a bmw 320d for carting the family around and for long journeys
But if its not too bad compared to what it is already then i wont buy a second car.
Even if the Impreza was running 10mpg it would still be cheaper than buying another car!
Old 22 March 2014, 11:42 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I wasn't having a pop but you clearly are bothered about mpg otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. And if you can afford to buy a 320d as a runaround, I really am confused by the question.
You know that your car currently does what, 20mpg?
Can you cope with 15mpg? That would be a realistic increase in consumption.

But I really am confused by the fact that you are prepared to spend £4k on an engine build and the same again for a runaround and yet the possibility of using a bit more fuel has you worried.

Last edited by Gear Head; 22 March 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 22 March 2014, 12:06 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I wasn't having a pop but you clearly are bothered about mpg otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. And if you can afford to buy a 320d as a runaround, I really am confused by the question.
You know that your car currently does what, 20mpg?
Can you cope with 15mpg? That would be a realistic increase in consumption.

But I really am confused by the fact that you are prepared to spend £4k on an engine build and the same again for a runaround and yet the possibility of using a bit more fuel has you worried.
I would not read to much into it buddy,I knew exactly how he implied it and as he said his car is not a daily runner it's just a weekend toy,just like my own.But it's still good to get other peoples opinions if your not to sure on the subject as fuel prices are not exactly cheap over here.SJ.
Old 22 March 2014, 12:15 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Ok, say he does 4000 miles a year in the impreza.

At £1.40 a litre, that equates to around £6.36 a gallon. So at 20 mpg, it will cost £1272 to do 4000 miles.

If mpg drops to 15mpg, it will cost £1696 to do 4000 miles.

So around £400 more by rough calculations.
That is why I just don't see the point of the question when he is considering a £4k engine build and then another car as a runaround. The increase in fuel is a drop in the ocean.

Old 22 March 2014, 12:24 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

At £1.40 a litre, that equates to around £6.36 a gallon. So at 20 mpg, it will cost £1272 to do 4000 miles.

That is why I just don't see the point of the question when he is considering a £4k engine build and then another car as a runaround. The increase in fuel is a drop in the ocean.

You can Take your lab coat off now sir I fully understand what your saying,but as I said before don't try and read into things to much,with all these calculations your starting to give me a headache.SJ.
Old 22 March 2014, 12:33 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Sorry if you thought i reacted gearhead i knew you were not having a pop

I was in the middle of lowering my coilovers and fitting my rotas and just had a couple of mins to reply on my phone and didnt have the time to properly write things out.

I also asked about the drive of a stroker gear head along with the mpg
SJ. Understands what i am meaning.
i am weighing out whether to do the car up and keep it for weekends
If its a brutal ride then i might want a second family car with excellent mpg that i can cart my wife and 2 year old son around in.
If the drive of the pumped up impreza is not too bad and mpg is not much worse than it is now i will keep the scoob as primary car.

i hope you understand what i am saying.

its wee bit more than 4k to do the stroker and turbo and the other bits and bobs i am wanting done.

And cheers 5mpg drop thats what one of the questions i was wanting to know

Last edited by nizmo80; 22 March 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 22 March 2014, 01:56 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Then I really wouldn't worry about a potential £400 increase in your annual fuel bill. A 2.1 will obviously have slightly more torque but I can't see it being that different to a standard 2.0. Main factor will be your turbo choice.
Old 22 March 2014, 02:12 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Bare in mind, 450hp car will have 450hp car running costs, everything gets more expensive and less reliable. It wont be fun to drive unless hammering it, the clutch will be heavy, it will be stiff bumpy a harder ride, 450 wont be fun to pootle to the shops in that is for sure
Old 22 March 2014, 04:20 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Most of our customers don't question the fuel consumption too much, although one did check his on the way back to Scotland from having picked the car up from us in Devon. 35 mpg from a 500 bhp plus engine.
Running in Lambda one, they shouldn't be too thirsty. Once your foot goes in, well..
Old 22 March 2014, 06:54 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

On my EngineTuner built 2.1 with S206 Turbo and 800cc injectors I saw 320 miles from a full tank 90% motorway driving... I regularly saw 200 miles with mixed driving and 150miles on a good run over them there hills
Old 22 March 2014, 06:55 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Oh and power was 475bhp with 460lb ft of torque
Old 22 March 2014, 06:55 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
On my EngineTuner built 2.1 with S206 Turbo and 800cc injectors I saw 320 miles from a full tank 90% motorway driving... I regularly saw 200 miles with mixed driving and 150miles on a good run over them there hills
Thats not bad, Im not sure ive ever driven mine slow enough to find out about those figures haha!
Old 22 March 2014, 06:56 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

That's not to bad,you must of been keeping the rpm around 3k.SJ.
Old 22 March 2014, 06:59 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

That's not to bad,you must of been keeping the rpm around 3k.SJ.
Average speed of about 75... boost came in nice and early with the S206 so if I needed a quick surge it was almost instant
Old 22 March 2014, 08:59 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

The price of fuel isn't an issue for me but tank range is. Planning journeys around tesco and shell garages takes some of the fun out of it.
I predict a 2.1 conversion will up your fuel consumption from terrible to f*****g horrendous.
Old 22 March 2014, 09:21 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the replies guys

will go for a md321H turbo, gt spec headers and bigger injectors and go for 400 on stock internals and see how that turns out.
if any thing does go pop will stroker it then
Old 22 March 2014, 09:24 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Then I really wouldn't worry about a potential £400 increase in your annual fuel bill. A 2.1 will obviously have slightly more torque but I can't see it being that different to a standard 2.0. Main factor will be your turbo choice.

hear good things about the md321's with fast spooling so will most likely give one of them a try

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Most of our customers don't question the fuel consumption too much, although one did check his on the way back to Scotland from having picked the car up from us in Devon. 35 mpg from a 500 bhp plus engine.
Running in Lambda one, they shouldn't be too thirsty. Once your foot goes in, well..
Cheers alan

whats running in lamba one mate

Oh and power was 475bhp with 460lb ft of torque
that would of went like lightning mervil

Quick Reply: stroker fuel consumption