Long term plans WRX

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2014, 05:51 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term plans WRX

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 WRX (61.5k) as it's a 2.5 it went pop so I had a full rebuild (forged pistons all the other stuff etc) by API, plus remap.

I'll need to fit a six speed sooner rather than later before that goes bang - the possibility then is another turbo, replacing suspension, brakes etc etc.

My question is should I fit the box, keep it for a bit, sell and get a newer JDM STI or stay put and incrementally upgrade?

What would YOU do?

Cheers!
Old 21 March 2014, 06:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

gearbox will be fine for now as long as your not launching it etc, im running over 400ftlb with no probs.

|If you get sti you'll need to get another rebuild anyway
Old 21 March 2014, 06:37 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy

|If you get sti you'll need to get another rebuild anyway

Not if he upgrades to a JDM like he's planning.
Old 21 March 2014, 07:02 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

if by newer you mean hatch back, stick
Old 21 March 2014, 07:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Not if he upgrades to a JDM like he's planning.
ah my bad, missed the jdm bit
Old 21 March 2014, 08:25 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Would prolly be a hatch JDM if I did - I guess I'm not really gaining anything there? or am I?
Old 21 March 2014, 08:36 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharper
Hi guys,

I have a 2007 WRX (61.5k) as it's a 2.5 it went pop so I had a full rebuild (forged pistons all the other stuff etc) by API, plus remap.

I'll need to fit a six speed sooner rather than later before that goes bang - the possibility then is another turbo, replacing suspension, brakes etc etc.

My question is should I fit the box, keep it for a bit, sell and get a newer JDM STI or stay put and incrementally upgrade?

What would YOU do?

Cheers!
I personally would have sold the car as soon as it went pop, how much was the rebuild and what sort of power was it making when it blew?

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2014, 08:41 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's more important to know what the potential is for the engine, and what you plan to do with the suspension etc.

If you think about it, you have a nice engine that'll potentially kick out some serious power.

Problem is that it's going to need an uprated box, suspension and brakes as a minimum.

I'd say it depends how far you wanted to go if you bought an STi. If you're aiming high it makes little difference what you start out with.
Old 21 March 2014, 09:29 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I think it's more important to know what the potential is for the engine, and what you plan to do with the suspension etc.

If you think about it, you have a nice engine that'll potentially kick out some serious power.

Problem is that it's going to need an uprated box, suspension and brakes as a minimum.

I'd say it depends how far you wanted to go if you bought an STi. If you're aiming high it makes little difference what you start out with.
I'm aiming for around the 400bhp mark, I'm currently a tad under 300 - like you say the box needs replacing before I think about more power etc
Old 21 March 2014, 11:06 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going for that sort of power you'll need to sort the brakes out first too. I'm sure the WRX had a spoiler solely for the purpose of attaching a parachute to.

It would be cheapest to make a 2.0 newage car 400bhp and handle safely, and many would argue a 2.5 STi would have been a better place to start than a WRX but now you've got cracking you may as well finish the job.
Old 21 March 2014, 11:52 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
but now you've got cracking you may as well finish the job.
Amen to that
Old 22 March 2014, 09:11 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

YOU NEED A STI

only joking, if your cars in good condition and you know what its done why change it, do little bits at a time and enjoy the evolution just don't add the bills up!

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...rcm-style.html
Old 23 March 2014, 10:07 AM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

True! and hopefully this engine will last a very long time with regular maintenance - I've had this done so far:

Fitted Mahle forged pistons
ACL Competition bearings
Modified oil pump
Replaced pick up pipe
11mm ARP head studs
Latest STI gasket set
Cambelt
Competition clutch stage 2
EGR Delete kit (whatever that is!)
DW300 Fuel pump
Ecutek 3 remap

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
YOU NEED A STI

only joking, if your cars in good condition and you know what its done why change it, do little bits at a time and enjoy the evolution just don't add the bills up!

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...rcm-style.html
Old 23 March 2014, 10:50 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As Tidgy said. Hawk WRX boxes are stronger so can take a bit more torque, if your planning on driving very hard then yeah you'll need a 6 speed but if your sensible about it then you may be fine.

I'd look at the brakes and handling in the mean time and put the gearbox money to one side, then bigger turbo, front mount, injectors, remap and see how it goes, then if you break the box the money is there.

Even if you did jump ship and buy an STI you'd still have to get the above parts so doesn't really matter which way you go, at least with the WRX you know the engine is taken care of.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:17 AM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Good advice, I'm mindful to be careful with the box for the reason you mentioned, hopefully this will give me time to upgrade other essentials and have the cash on one side like you say. What would you do about handling - coilovers?

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
As Tidgy said. Hawk WRX boxes are stronger so can take a bit more torque, if your planning on driving very hard then yeah you'll need a 6 speed but if your sensible about it then you may be fine.

I'd look at the brakes and handling in the mean time and put the gearbox money to one side, then bigger turbo, front mount, injectors, remap and see how it goes, then if you break the box the money is there.

Even if you did jump ship and buy an STI you'd still have to get the above parts so doesn't really matter which way you go, at least with the WRX you know the engine is taken care of.
Old 23 March 2014, 11:55 AM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

I'd stick with it as you know the car and the engine, there no guarantee you buy another car and it won't have problems.
Stick with this and it will be all done by you to how you want IMO that's far better.
Old 23 March 2014, 12:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like coilovers on road cars so would try and avoid them, also most seem to require regular rebuilds as in every 2/3yrs and it's quite expensive for rebuilds too, Unless you go for something like Bilstien or AST variant 3 and those are around the £2k mark. After market springs and rebuilt STI shocks might be worth a look but research them first would be my advice.
Old 23 March 2014, 01:19 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Cheers I did look at coilovers before and as I'm not tracking it 1 - 2k would be way OTT for my needs - Will check out some after market ones!

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I don't like coilovers on road cars so would try and avoid them, also most seem to require regular rebuilds as in every 2/3yrs and it's quite expensive for rebuilds too, Unless you go for something like Bilstien or AST variant 3 and those are around the £2k mark. After market springs and rebuilt STI shocks might be worth a look but research them first would be my advice.
Old 24 March 2014, 10:28 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

I ran my car with 460bhp with just prodrive springs and roll bars, made a great road car. run Ohlins now which are night and day but comes at a big ££££ and not really needed for the road
Old 09 May 2014, 01:10 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

What would I need in terms of prodrive springs, something from here: http://www.subarupartsstore.co.uk/ca...00_2007,b.html

Ta