Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Indigo-GT Sprint Track Side Project

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2012, 01:02 PM
Rob@Indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indigo-GT Sprint Track Side Project

Ok it all started with a slight off at castle comb.

went from this

To this

It was a combination of a little gearbox oil on the track, trying to catch my colleague's time and running out of talent.

Went through "Quarry" corner like a whippet belting up through "Farm Straight" before hitting the brakes for the "Esses". Front left tyre locked up, turned for the chicane and the back end promptly followed round sending me sideways across the grass connecting the rear left quarter with a bollard.

The picture does not look that bad, but the boot floor is buckled up, strut tower has moved a little and the entire back end has been pushed around enough to unseat the right hand rear light.

Overall the bump wasn't that bad in my mind, until a marshal came over and said you were luck you didn't roll it!

So my mortality took a little hit there, and if I want to take part in future sprints and events I decided a roll cage was in order and pile in bit of time and effort to build something safe, quick and fun!

So the hunt was on for a clean shell, initial thought was for a 2 door shell, so pestering a few members dazdavies (clean shell that and I almost had it) and also big thanks to Mattybr at Pole Position for looking!

Then by chance a 4 door shell came up very local, with a full Custom Cages Int GrpN weld in cage. It was a 99 shell which was stored in a barn for the last 5 years as an unfinished rally project.

Normally I prefer to do all the work, but it saves a fair bit of time and was also installed by custom cages themselves so certification will be on record.

The shell was very clean, also some strengthening plates welded to the strut tops which the welds require cleaning up but no rot, or any accident damage but downside being a left hand drive. (not a massive problem just needs a bit of fabrication)

After a bit of searching the registration and vin, apparently it belonged to a member here rallyman2007 So if anyone knows him or can get in contact I think I would be good to let him know that the project has not gone to waste

So over Christmas, goal would be to clean up the chassis carry out a fair bit of strengthening to the seams, remove the boot floor and hopefully get it sealed and painted ready for the fun stuff!

Last edited by Rob@Indigo-gt; 07 October 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07 October 2012, 01:43 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Sounding like the beginnings of a good project! Was this the shell that was on the bay of e recently?
Old 07 October 2012, 01:53 PM
Rob@Indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

Yes it was. I heard about it from another trader and was located in llangynidr just a few miles away. The lad who helped me pick it up bought some farm equipment, so travelling back to the workshop loaded with the shell, and a couple of cattle feeders on a lorry, with the narrow twisty mountain roads was quite an experience!

Last edited by Rob@Indigo-gt; 07 October 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09 October 2012, 07:36 PM
Antony@indigo-gt
Former Sponsor

I think I may have my work cut out beating you at the next event
Old 13 October 2012, 06:43 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to this project
Old 14 October 2012, 05:36 AM
GAZTOTALMODS
Scooby Newbie

Hi rob it's gaz (gaz5evo) glad you managed to get a good shell mate looking forward to seeing it at silverstone sprint next year so you better hurry up and not take as long as the skybus did
Look forward to updates