Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

my 1995 WRX V2 project

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2012, 08:51 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1995 WRX V2 project

Just thought id share my project with you guys. Its not a massive spec spend build but a little project that will hopefully get the car looking at its best.

This is my second impreza my first one was a 98 uk turbo and these two are worlds apart.

Bought this car from Bridgend back in Feburary 2012 and have done a few little bits and pieces to it. Paid £800 and seen it on ebay. If anyone has any more info on this car that would be fab.

Old 21 August 2012, 08:54 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Old 21 August 2012, 09:14 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

The car has little history with it and was sold without tax or test, it needed a few little bits doing to bring it up to MOT standards, most of which i have done.

The owner was selling it cheap as he believed there was a headgasket problem even though they had recently been done i think its more a case of a massive airlock, im waiting to get the car to ace motorsport in newbridge who are subaru people to find out the true score.

overall the car is pretty straight and solid, it seems to have been looked after throughout its life it was imported in 1998 and had a recon engine in 2001 that had a SMR sticker on the block.

I have driven the car a few times and it does go like a rocket so unsure on what to think of the suspected head gasket failure?

The body work seems original and straight- back arches are bubbling and theres bubbling around rear windscreen apart from the odd blemish its pretty good- full respray wil lbe on the cards anyhow.

The interior is very clean and original only the gearknob and pedals are changed.

Midnight on here has been fab with getting parts out to me massive thanks.

Since owning i have done the folowing:

New induction hose, new decat mid box, magnex rear box, 4 pots and fresh brake fluid, new rear pads and disks, wing mirrors that fold, recon radiator, new oil air and fuel filters, fresh oil, metal expansion header tank, expansion tank spacer kit, original clocks and delimiter as old ones didnt show fuel and temp gauges, good secnd hand battery, original jack and tool kit.

Short term plans:

getting it fully checked by ACE motosport, they are doing a hydro carbon test in the water and will check the head gasket etc..

oil leak from oil pump area which ace will do

get the belts/rollers done at ace

tax and test
Old 22 August 2012, 11:24 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the garage to give the engine a thorough going over, i'm afraid i think its fair to say SMR do not have the best of reputations!

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...r-engines.html

Car looks decent nick for £800 but id factor in a fair few quid for work on those arches, it may look minimal from the outside but the inner layer of metal will be fooked.

Best of luck with the refurb mate

Paul
Old 22 November 2012, 11:08 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

im after some lowering springs, whats the best setup. in general what do these cars like in terms of simple mods? was thinnking of one of those hks mushroom filters? any input would be fab. cheers.
Old 23 November 2012, 03:58 AM
flthyrich
Scooby Newbie

Nice!! You dont know where the whote trims on the heater ***** came from do you?
Old 28 December 2012, 12:22 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flthyrich
Nice!! You dont know where the whote trims on the heater ***** came from do you?
Sorry i dont they were just on the car when i got it.
Old 28 December 2012, 12:26 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update, fitted a nice low level uk spec spoiler with working brake light found one in 559 red which was a bonus.

Also this morning booked it into ACE motorsport in Newbridge South Wales for a MOT and full inspection, cant wait the car will be coming back all 100% and they will be keeping it for as long as it takes.

As first thought there might be a issue with the head gasket so they are carrying out the coolant block test which detects the carrbon dioxide in the water.

These guys know everything about subaru theres nothing they cant do, so looking forward to see what they find/sort.
Old 29 January 2013, 11:15 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Car is with ACE at present no issues with the head gasket, needs welding at the rear of the sill for MOT and a set of front disks and pads. Quite good news they haven't found nothing too major so is on course for a MOT. Will update once i have the car back.
Old 20 February 2013, 05:50 PM
Essexdon
Scooby Regular

Looks really tidy mate.
Old 20 February 2013, 10:08 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

thanks, the car is still at ACE motorsport. Had a call today it needed welding for MOT, so its got a ticket. Its had overheating problems on a test drive it spat all its water out, on closer inspection the thermostat has been removed and the garage are thinking its the water pump possibly? as i mentioned the coolant block test and head test has passed the car drives lovely in the lads words. what you guys reckon??
Old 21 February 2013, 12:03 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Could be a blocked radiator
Old 24 February 2013, 05:19 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

yes they checked the radiator, been speaking to midnight on here top guy, i'm going to try a new water pump. the car hasn't got a thermostat fitted so we need that also check the heater matrix for blockage. there was talk of a new engine but im going to try these next... well ACE are. the car passed the coolant block test so there cant be any cracks or problems with the block or head.
Old 24 February 2013, 06:19 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice buy,looks tidy.SJ.
Old 24 February 2013, 06:39 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Nice Import you have and best shape (pre-facelift), looks nice and relatively un-molested.

What plans you have for it?
Old 28 February 2013, 06:05 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
Nice Import you have and best shape (pre-facelift), looks nice and relatively un-molested.

What plans you have for it?
hey, just to sort out the few problems and just enjoy it. would like to get it really mint if funds allow, new arches and re spray with a few tweeks. apart from that tidy it up as best i can and use it.
Old 28 February 2013, 11:37 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slash920
hey, just to sort out the few problems and just enjoy it. would like to get it really mint if funds allow, new arches and re spray with a few tweeks. apart from that tidy it up as best i can and use it.
Sweet, don`t fall for the idiots that spend £20+K on a car after spending £20k on it in the first place. They are making up for inadequacies in their lives, as they sure are no race car driver, and are as much use in a car as a liquid filled toilet

You can get loads for the early cars as so many get broken, wrapped up, or put back to standard. Mines been done like that, if I priced up all the mods I have and had paid for them all new, then I'd probably wonder where the lottery win came from lol nuts for sure.

But my advise is to sort the handling (slightly lower, thicker anti-roll bar, and anti lift kit), get the belts done on the engine, proper warm up and cool down, and some sympathetic driving and you'll enjoy it, then to upgrade parts as you go along. And not to fit larger scoops or a facelift front end.

Hardest thing will be sorting your arches, but where there's a will there's a way!!
Old 03 April 2013, 05:42 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Tried a water pump and stat by ACE rebuilt it, no joy.

Officially need a replacement engine for it. a wrx v2 engine. all the new parts on the current engine will be replaced over onto the donor engine. Should all be good then.

will update when i know more.
Old 14 April 2013, 02:40 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Update, picked up a closed deck RA engine up yesterday off midnight on here, top man!

Took the engine to ACE yesterday where they will (for peace of mind) change the head gaskets, change a few seals that appear to be leaking, fit the ancillaries and inlet manifold and bolt it all up. Just a general tidy up and check over.

Also have a exedy clutch and lightened fly wheel to go in it. Fingers crossed should all be up and running in a few weeks.

Jamie.
Old 14 April 2013, 06:56 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could the old block not be reused with new gaskets then?
Old 18 April 2013, 09:28 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
could the old block not be reused with new gaskets then?
i dare say it could be but i would of been taking the chance, labour costs. cheaper to buy new engine.
Old 19 June 2013, 01:46 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

had a call from the garage the block i sourced is no good.

Reached a point of spending too much money on it so i will be breaking this car once i have it back to claw some money back. Ebay listing will be going up once i have it back from the garage.
Old 19 June 2013, 09:32 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Are you sure that the engine is no good, and not the garage being inept??

Also you'll have to become a paid up member to sell
Old 20 June 2013, 04:12 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

im off up the garage tomorrow for a look. its just costing far too much in garage costs than what its worth. plan is to buy a 99-00 spec impreza out of the parts.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:55 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

RIGHT MOVING ON. HAD NO JOY BREAKING IT SO I'M STUCK WITH IT, ONLY ONE OPTION AND THAT IS TO REBUILD IT AND GET IT BACK ON THE ROAD AS AND WHEN FUNDS ALLOW.

GOT THE ENGINE OUT AND ON A HOIST READY FOR A STRIP DOWN.
HEADS AND BLOCK WILL BE CHECKED AND TESTED BY A LOCAL ENGINEER BEFORE I WILL SEND THE PARTS TO BE REBUILT TO A LOCAL MOTORSPORT GARAGE.

PLAN IS TO GET THE BOTTOM END REBUILT (ALL SHELLS AND RINGS) AS WELL AS THE ADDITION OF AN UPRATED OIL PUMP AND SUMP BAFFLE PLATE (BOTH RODGER CLARKE ITEMS). APART FROM THAT STANDARD POWER AND A STANDARD BUILD IS ALL THAT'S REQUIRED. KEEPING COSTS DOWN AND RELIABILITY.

ANYWAY ON WITH THE PICS.

GOT SOME GENUINE GASKETS AND UPRATED HEAD GASKETS. NO MORE WATER SPEWING OUT.

Old 28 July 2013, 08:58 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Old 28 July 2013, 09:00 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Old 28 July 2013, 09:01 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Old 29 July 2013, 07:00 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you've kept it. taking the engine out aint that bad is it! stripping down is easy too so long as the coolants has been kept clean and the bolt heads have not rusted.
Old 29 July 2013, 07:33 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slash920
yes they checked the radiator, been speaking to midnight on here top guy, i'm going to try a new water pump. the car hasn't got a thermostat fitted so we need that also check the heater matrix for blockage. there was talk of a new engine but im going to try these next... well ACE are. the car passed the coolant block test so there cant be any cracks or problems with the block or head.
I lost count of how many watering cans mine took after engine change,don't know where it was going! Wouldn't overheat on idle but as soon as went to drive the temperature would shoot up. It was a massive airlock causing it. My mates dad cleared it,we left heaters on hot on full power to get water sound matrix and just cycled filling between header tank and radiator and hose squeezing.was pig though,i messed around with it for days before he had joy

Quick Reply: my 1995 WRX V2 project