Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

V4 WRX STI Type R

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2012, 05:37 AM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V4 WRX STI Type R

Alright guys had the car for a while now and been getting various bits upgraded so thought I would start a project thread on here incase anyone was interested in it as I have one on other sites update so far...

Around a year and a half ago I picked up a non runner MY98 Version IV Impreza Type R for a good price with all intentions of having it repaired an making a fast buck off it. Of course that was far too optimistic of me as once it was sat in the driveway I was remembering how much I had enjoyed blasting about in the JDM WRX I had owned years back an how I'd always wanted to have screwed big power out of it. So that was it yet again a money pit had opened up ready to consume my wages for the next while.
I got myself back on the forums an started looking about to see what people were up to these days in the way of getting power. Initially it was a toss up between a 2.1 an a 2.5 and after speaking to a few people I eventually decided on the 2.1 stroker conversion (built on a CDB so if I decide to screw even more power then it should handle it). I got the engine out palleted it up an sent it South to Alan Jeffery Enginetuner in Plymouth for the 2.1 build, he initially quoted around a 6 week turnaround but this turned into a couple of months due to uncontrollable circumstances so I had plenty time to scan the forums and online shops to decide what other parts would go on for now.
I had a figure of around 400bhp in my head as I didn't want to go too deep too fast so all the parts were bought with that in mind but it shouldn't take too much to raise the figure now either. It took around 8 months to get everything together an the fact I had been working away from home for most of it didn't help either. It's not easy as easy as I thought to arrange everything via email without actually handling any parts especially buying stuff from forum members an hoping they will arrive at the garages on time an be as describe for them to fit them but I had no problems with anything I bought an it all came together nicely in the end.
I must admit I didn't enjoy driving around with no boost on the standard ECU for the first 1000 or so miles as the amount of people I got sat on my bumper trying to push me for a race was sickening but after 2 or 3 months I eventually managed to get the miles onto it got time off booked from work and the car booked in with Steve Whitson for a final tweak one day and mapping with Andy Forrest the next. I've got to say the two of them couldn't have been more helpful an knowledgeable Steve sorted a couple of wee issues out in time for mapping the next morning and I'll never forget that feeling when Andy is sat there tapping away at the keyboard the power increases with every run, the final straw was when he was setting up the Launch Control I was impressed the first time as had never experienced anything like it but he said it wasn't quite right the second time was interesting to say the least had a massive grin and some choice words whilst the thing took off the line. The bodywork was in good condition for a 1998 car but I wanted it perfected so it is currently in the paint shop having a complete respray and I have brightened it up by changing from feather white to pure white.

Anyway enough of me talking heres the current spec list...

Engine:
2.1 Stroker on CDB (Wiseco pistons, K1 rods, 2.5 crank, Cosworth engine bearings, Cosworth head gaskets and sump baffle plate, RCM oil pump and ARP head stud kit: built by Alan Jeffery Enginetuner)
740cc Injectors
Fuellab FPR
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Andy Forrest TD0520G Turbo
Cosworth Kevlar Timing Belt
CDF Timing Belt Guide
CDF Lightweight Pulley Set
NGK Iridium IX plugs
Hybrid GT2 FMIC
Roger Clark 80mm Alloy Trumpet with 170cm K&N Induction Cone
Roger Clark Headers & Up Pipe (Heat Wrapped)
Ninja Downpipe With Fast Flow Cat
3” Cat Back System
AP Racing Clutch
Simtek ECU ALS & LC Enabled (Mapped by Andy Forrest)

Interior:
Stack Boost Gauge
Stack Oil Pressure Gauge
Stack Oil Temp Gauge
Scoobyworld Dash Top Gauge Holder
V6 Type R Front Seats (Put in as the originals were looking tired)

Exterior:
RA Roof Flap
Black Crystal Headlights
Crystal Indicators & Side Repeaters
Facelift Front Bumper & Grill
99-00 V-Ltd Lip Spoiler
Mini Induction Scoop
EVO Style Bonnet Vent/Reverse Scoop
P1 Replica Adjustable Rear Spoiler

Wheels/Brakes/Suspension/Handling:
Yokohama Parada Spec 2 Tyres
18” Inovit Redline Wheels
AP Racing 6-Pot Front Calipers, STI 2 Post Rear Calipers, Godspeed Discs, Bluestuff NDX Pads and Braided Hoses all round
Whiteline ARB's Front & Rear
Whiteline Alloy Drop Links
Whiteline Roll Centre Kit
RA Motorsports Anti-Lift Kit

I'll update on here as/if things progress any further....

Original state...

In progress...

Engine built an ready for entry...

Engine fitted for running in 1000 miles done with absolutely no boost on standard injectors and ecu etc basically an N/A 2.1 Stroker surprisingly quick...ish

Final parts fitted (injectors, simtek, fmic, K&N, maf removed etc) and ready for mapping...

Ready for first batch of paint...

First paint completed basically all added parts painted to match the 230 feather white and gloss black on the parts requested...

Still to come FULL RESPRAY in Pure White which is in the progress at present and more power.

Last edited by Scoobdogg; 29 March 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 18 March 2012, 06:40 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Lovely looking Scoobdog, what power is it producing?
Old 18 March 2012, 09:42 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice spec.
Old 18 March 2012, 09:52 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

looking good
Old 18 March 2012, 10:48 AM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
Lovely looking Scoobdog, what power is it producing?
Never been on the rollers yet was live mapped by Andy F and estimated at 400bhp the TD05 is maxxed out.
Once I get it back from paint and some saving done gearbox will be next and then try an take the power up a touch. I'd be happy with 450ish as a rough figure.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:58 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Added to spec...
RA Motorsports Anti Lift Kit
Whiteline Roll Centre Kit
Yokohama Parada Spec 2 Tyres
RA Roof Flap

Exterior was starting to look tired you can maybe see some lacquer peeling on the bonnet an wings in these shots...

So prep for paint in pure white...

Old 29 March 2012, 07:09 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

Lovely type R, nice spec

Last edited by MarkC; 29 March 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 29 March 2012, 07:28 PM
daz sti
Scooby Regular

very nice bud
Old 29 March 2012, 07:52 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

coming along nicely there, fantastic...
Old 03 April 2012, 08:51 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Went an collected the car today it is looking absolutely amazing quick teaser pic for you to see how it's looking will get some more when the weathers better an I can be bothered as after 6 weeks working away I am now in beer mode for the night.
Here she is looking like a new car excellent paint work by RA Motorsport Developments....

Old 10 April 2012, 12:34 AM
jme-rst
Scooby Regular

looks absolutely lovely mate,i have bought the same headlights and sidelights and was wondering if they were gonna match ok.
ive the same wheels too but spraying them white haha.
Old 10 April 2012, 08:17 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Nice type r mate where did you get the black crystal headlight/sidelights from?
Old 10 April 2012, 08:20 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

very nice
Old 10 April 2012, 08:26 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

that looks so nice in white, i was really hoping this was a for sale thread when i first saw it.
Old 10 April 2012, 09:17 PM
rab89
Scooby Regular

Looks like new, so clean! What lip is that?
Old 10 April 2012, 11:08 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

+1 on the lip.

Stunning ride.....have fun with her
Old 13 April 2012, 10:56 AM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Kind comments boys. Thanks a lot unfortunately one of my rear shocks has just given up the ghost going over a drain cover that was sunk in the road so now on the hunt for an uprated set maybe BC's or something similar if anyone has anything available let me know and i'll consider the options.

Originally Posted by JdcTypeR
Nice type r mate where did you get the black crystal headlight/sidelights from?
The headlights and sidelights are available from importcarparts.com I have a spare set of black crystal headlights for sale which are surplus to my requirements I was looking for £100 delivered they are around £125 delivered from there will pm you too.

Originally Posted by rev.chris
that looks so nice in white, i was really hoping this was a for sale thread when i first saw it.
Occasionally crosses my mind Chris no harm in you making a reasonable offer bearing in mind what this has cost me to get to this spec and condition!

Originally Posted by rab89
Looks like new, so clean! What lip is that?
Cheers Rab the paintwork on it is amazing! The lip is from HT Autos the V-ltd one http://subaru-impreza-body-kits.co.u...9.html?sno=298
Old 15 April 2012, 10:27 AM
Trustyscoob
Scooby Newbie

That is lovely mate.
Old 26 April 2012, 03:44 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Job for today was to try an make a start at getting the interior in as good a shape as the exterior is now. Took a spin to Halfruads an had a scan at the paints they had. Chose Ford Sea Grey as I didn't want an in the face colour an it looked fairly close-ish to the original colour of these parts....

Stripped them out gave them a rub over with some wet & dry then primed them up...

Made use of a Heat Gun to speed up the process heating it after every coat until touch dry....

Then went for my lunch came out gave it a final blast over with the Heat Gun and installed...

Very happy with how they turned out.
Wish I had done the handbrake surround at the same time but picked up another can of paint on the way home just to be sure an I'll get it done tomorrow.

Last edited by Scoobdogg; 26 April 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 26 April 2012, 04:23 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

very nice

are you using the water spray on the front mount? (bottle is still in the bay?!)
Old 26 April 2012, 04:38 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tom-r33
very nice

are you using the water spray on the front mount? (bottle is still in the bay?!)
Thanks Tom. Not yet but it is on my list of things to do whether or not it will make a big difference I'm not too sure but since it's on the car already I'm going to give it a go.
Old 26 April 2012, 04:45 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

Do you have any graph from dyno?
Old 26 April 2012, 04:51 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beliblisk
Do you have any graph from dyno?
No it was live mapped on the road by Andy F and his estimate was around 400bhp suppose I should really put it on the rollers at some point but I intend on increasing the power with a different turbo an upgrading the gearbox at the same time.
Old 26 April 2012, 08:48 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

Cool....was just interested in the curves as my project only lacks good motor now(am runing 350 but have 6 speed,suspension and brakes sorted) and i am still deciding same as you did,2.1 or 2.5
Old 27 April 2012, 10:15 AM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beliblisk
Cool....was just interested in the curves as my project only lacks good motor now(am runing 350 but have 6 speed,suspension and brakes sorted) and i am still deciding same as you did,2.1 or 2.5
I think you'd maybe be able to screw more power out of a 2.5 build depends what your going to be using the car for really. I'll post up a dyno print out when I get it on there though so you can have a look an see if you haven't made your decision by then.
Old 27 April 2012, 11:25 AM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

Well my plan is to build 400/400ish daily driver but i hear mixed reports on forged 2,5s(it would really be easy disicion is 2,5s would be more reliable):S
Old 27 April 2012, 09:55 PM
Kozzy
Scooby Newbie

Scoobdogg, fantastic car mate almost exactly what I want my version 4 to be. Can you tell me how you went about sticking the version 5 front bumper on? Did you have to change the bonnet as well as the grill and head/side lights? Also, are you running the standard 5 speed 'box?
Old 27 April 2012, 10:08 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kozzy
Scoobdogg, fantastic car mate almost exactly what I want my version 4 to be. Can you tell me how you went about sticking the version 5 front bumper on? Did you have to change the bonnet as well as the grill and head/side lights? Also, are you running the standard 5 speed 'box?
The V5 bumper is a direct replacement easy swap mate. I'm guessing your V4 is like mine was in the first photos and semi face lift ie the bonnet, headlights and grill are different from the earlier models? You could also get a 99-00 grill to complete the facelift as these were also changed again when they changed the bumper and crystal headlights and side lights. I went for the black crystal for the theme I wanted and have a 99-00 grill on the way to the paint shop this weekend. Still running a standard 5 speed gearbox at the moment it is handling the power.
6 speed will come before I increase it any further.

Last edited by Scoobdogg; 28 April 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 27 April 2012, 10:33 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice motor fella

Quick Reply: V4 WRX STI Type R