Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

4th Time Lucky

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 09:31 AM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Time Lucky

I have had 3 Subarus before however none will have been tuned/modded as much as this one wil be. You see the first one was a low mileage my99 uk model and I tried to keep it as tidy as possible only changing things when needed. Then there was the second car this was never going to stay as I had a crash in it in the snow a couple of years ago and after the other parties insurance company fixed it it never felt right and by that time I had found another problem , I had injured my left ankle in the crash. So that led onto a few Automatic cars Soarer TT etc however it was after over 50 cars the Subaru that I wanted back. So now to find a Automatic Subaru. Strangly there were 2 for sale one in Blackpool and one on my road, I saw this as a good sign and bought the one on my road. Its a my 1995 , I then started to fiddle however however much I thought about it what I wanted was a my 99, now I didnt know they made autos on that year and never thought I would find one so I decided to sell my Blue Subaru but first I typed Subaru Impreza Automatic for sale and a White MY99 Auto popped up on Pistonheads, and as a bonus it wasnt far from me, better still it was next to my daughters school. So I went to see it that night and again the following day and snapped it up regardless of problems.

It is a Wrx import my99 wagon in white, which isnt my favourite colour but is now growing on me. It has 80000 miles on the clock a fmic, induction kit, magnecor leads and a full exhaust. Everything was stock.

That was 2 weeks ago........

This week the following has been done:

OZ P1 17 inch alloys shod in new Michelin rubber
Whiteline rear anti roll bar fitted
BC Racing coilover suspension fitted
AP Racing 330mm Front Brake Conversion
Goodridge Braided BRake Hoses
Ferrodo DS2500 Pads with Excedy Grooved Disks
Whole Brake Fluid System bled and renewed with Dot 5.1
Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump fitted
Hard Race Steering Rack Bushes Fitted
Front and rear Api uprated Droplinks fitted
Service - New NGK Platinum Plugs, Fuel filter, Oil filter
Coolant system drained and new anti freeze added
New Genuine V Belt Fitted
New Genuine Power Steering Belt Fitted

Kenwood Double Din Stereo fitted with USB, Ipod etc
10 inch Subwoofer in Boot
Rockford Fosgate 4 Channel amp
Rockford Fosgate EPX2 electronic crossover unit

To be fitted:

3 Stack 52 gauges
Centre Gauge Holder
FSE Fuel pressure Regulator with Gauge
3 port Boost solenoid
VF24 Turbo
Custom Fibreglass Subwoofer box
STI Type R Steering Rack

I took the car out for a spin yesterday and it is without a doubt the best handling classic I have been in, the modifications I have carried out have made the car handle and drive so much better.

Things I will be doing next:

Autobox Oil and Filter change
New rear Disks and Pads
Cambelt and Pulleys
Ecutek Remap

With all that done it will drive well and with about 320 bhp will be quick enough too.

Once my ankle gets better though I may go manual box and then start to play with the engine but for now Auto is fine for me.

The plan once all that is done is to make the car look like new so renew any parts that need to be but that will be over the course of a couple of years.
Old 07 November 2011, 09:44 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add too Automatic Gearbox oil cooler(B&M or Mocal),i've on mine and this little help to prolong life of gearbox,because biggest enemy of automatic gearboxes is heat...

Good oil for gearbox is too important thing,if you are put there wrong oil you can easily kill box...

Anyway good luck with your plans,but swapping autobox to manual is pain to do..

Jura
Old 07 November 2011, 10:45 AM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Yes I was thining of and oil cooler, What oil do you recommend for the gearbox and why?

If the car is good enough I may not swap the gearbox I may just buy a manual and swap everything over but that would be a long way off.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:56 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1999wagon
Yes I was thining of and oil cooler, What oil do you recommend for the gearbox and why?

If the car is good enough I may not swap the gearbox I may just buy a manual and swap everything over but that would be a long way off.
Personally i would use Millermatic SP3 or Fuchs Titan 4000,these two oil i've used mainly on mine wagon and box hold 350bhp.

How to say,mine car is now converted from autobox to manual and its pain to wire all cables correctly,its not straight forward as you are think,just search on google about this and you will see why,i wouldn't recommend this.If you want something better with autobox,contact in USA Level 10,IPT and other companies which are specialized in automatic gearboxes,which will hold 500bhp without the doubts,its not complete rebuild your gearbox only Valve Body will be rebuild'd

Jura
Old 26 November 2011, 03:31 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Well just trying to fit the gauges, what a pain, will be having the cambelt and pulleys fitted next week so then the last things to do for now will be fit the vf24 turbo and have a remap. Also will be removing fmic and either fitting my Hks fmic or my sti 8 tmic.
Old 22 December 2011, 02:08 PM
dazer_70
Scooby Newbie

Just swapped my autobox for a manual......not too hard a job but wiring a pain in the **** to sort...Eventually swapped the dash wiring loom and radiator to make it oem...If your handy with the spanners its a worthwhile job to do......but i wouldn"t do another...would be easier to buy a manual and like you say swap everything over..List of parts you need is endless...I struck lucky as a mate had crashed his ra and i raped it for parts..

Last edited by dazer_70; 22 December 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07 January 2012, 11:11 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

I now need to find a good oil cooler kit for my autobox and then a diff oil change and I am ready to go on track and have some fun. Thinking should I fit the new turbo and then get a Bob Rawle remap before I go on track or just try it out first.
Old 07 January 2012, 11:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1999wagon
I now need to find a good oil cooler kit for my autobox and then a diff oil change and I am ready to go on track and have some fun. Thinking should I fit the new turbo and then get a Bob Rawle remap before I go on track or just try it out first.
Best Autobox oil cooler is in my view Mocal(this selling Think Automotive) which i've run and which not sure if i've still

B&M Oil coolers are good too,have look on eBay or elsewhere,they're really stealthy and really slim

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/psauto.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270824687120#ht_2312wt_905

Jura
Old 24 January 2012, 12:07 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wayne,, you have PM
Old 07 February 2012, 10:11 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

If I was to sell this car what do we think its worth guys?
Old 21 February 2012, 09:46 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Just a quick update I have now had the rear diff removed all seals replaced and also filled with new oil. So next is gearbox oil change and the geometry setup and then either go on track and see what happens or fit my fse boost valve fpr and turbo and then remap and then go on track.

Anyway its gradually getting there.
Old 29 March 2012, 10:35 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

Default Update

Fitted sti upper rear spoiler and my03 sti rear box also refitted my sub, after fitting the sti 4 BOV last week the car is now much better to drive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	8302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0072.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	8303