Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

97 Classic UK Turbo 400bhp build.

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2010, 07:51 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Classic UK Turbo 400bhp build.

Right well where to start...... It all started about 2 years ago now when I originally bought my Subaru Impreza UK Turbo, not being happy with it being standard I proceeded to purchase a load of upgrades which included....
4 Pot Brake Conversion
Green Panel Filter
NGK Plugs
AGX Adjustable Shocks
Eibach Springs
550 Injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Turbo Back Decat exhaust system
Simtek ECU mapped by Simon @ JGM

Now all was fine and dandy until about 2 weeks ago when I started losing oil. Not a small amount of oil (the stain on the driveway is testiment to this) So I decided I have saved a few pennies for exactly this project, lets get my *** down to Subaru4you and see what Len can do for me.

Anyway long and short of it is I will be having a 2.1 Stroked block (built by Len) put in with the intension of hitting around the 400bhp mark.

Now only a madman or a fat cat banking boss in the city could afford it all so I will be doing it in stages.

So after dropping her into Len this morning they have already started pulling my baby apart.

Pics
The strip down,
1 the engine is out, the inlet manifold is off as are the cambelt and
pulleys.
2 Rusty exhaust heatshields had to be cut off
3 The exhaust headers are off
4 The first head is off

Old 25 November 2010, 07:54 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

5 Into the parts washer
6 Rusty Sump
7 Into the caustic washer
8 The Glass bead shot blaster

Old 25 November 2010, 08:00 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

9 Inside the Glass bead shot blaster 1
10 Inside the Glass bead shot blaster 2

I should at this point tell you where I want to go in the coming months.

Firstly get the new bottom end and other needed ancilliaries installed.
Next will be a new MD555 Turbo Dynamics turbo, a front mount intercooler and new induction system. Probably done over the period of 2-3 months. With a couple of Simon remaps in between.

After that will be a new gearbox, diffs and prop and a final tune for the 400bhp. Then she'll be in the bodyshop being made to look like the day she left the showroom. No bodywork mods as much as I like Simons flared arches, this car was always meant to be the proper "wolf in sheeps clothing".

Anyway hope you all enjoy the build.
Old 26 November 2010, 10:25 AM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds all good
Old 26 November 2010, 11:34 AM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Now back on with a couple of pics, as I've been back in to speak to Len this morning.

Pic1 The block is on the stripping bench and the halves are split exposing the
crank

Pic2 A before and after like never seen before. This is how dirty things get after 157k miles.
Before and after Glass bead shot blast - two halves of the same block!!! But Len worked some magic.

My block is being cleaned up to be sent off for the 2.1 Stroking to be completed.

Will update more as soon as I can.
Old 29 November 2010, 11:44 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Ok I went to subaru4you today and well a little bad news .... It would appear my block was away having the machining done for the 2.1 stroker ODB build and they noticed a crack in the Piston Liners. I'll try and get some pics if Len gets the block back....

So that block is in the bin now..... Or will be, I'm sure Len will keep it in the graveyard of engines he keeps to show people, we'll see. Anyway good news is Len was already on the case phoning around his known hotspots for a new good bottom end.

I also have to give a big thanks to Rick whose plugging away trying to get a few of the smaller ancilliaries a little cheaper. Anyone know how much a cambelt tensioner direct from Subaru is.... Thats the one that looks like a skateboard wheel on a small piece of metal with a spring on it... Originally it was some 160 quid with tax I believe, idlers were something a little excessive aswell. Which I choked on a little, I wanted the money to go on the internals. So with a little hunting they've managed to chop a few prices for me by using some other suppliers with blueprint and oem parts.

I intend to use lightweight nice pulleys in the end and will change all the other ancilliaries, idlers, cam tensioner etc etc for the best I can buy once the savings have made a small recovery from this engine rebuld. But one step at a time.....
Old 30 November 2010, 05:30 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good.
Old 30 November 2010, 07:24 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Cheers buddy,

Bit of luck I seem to have found a couple of contenders for CDB at reasonable prices.

So watch this space. Now looking to go to a 500bhp with further scope CDB 2.1 stroker. Should be good.
Old 30 November 2010, 09:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What gearbox are you going to be using? If it's the 5-speed, won't the higher torque just destroy it?
Old 01 December 2010, 11:59 AM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

The old gearbox, diffs and props will only be used for the running in of the engine, by the time thats complete I should have saved enough for a new gearbox, diffs and props or have mine sorted to take the extra loads.

I mean without the new turbo and intercooler she will never reach a high enough HP to break my current gearbox. So it's a couple of steps down the line but definately on the list of things to be done before unleashing ALL the horses.
Old 15 December 2010, 08:53 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Right update time.

New block is on it's way care of a decent SN member for £350. This will be arriving friday and off to the machinists once it's been cleaned up nicely.

Also a few parts have started arriiving....

We have the 2.5 nitrided crankshaft fresh from the oil wrapper.

Mahle Forged pistons for the 2.1 stroker.

A nice set of triple layered Cometic head gaskets.

Set of ACL Race Series Shell Bearings.

Will have images of the block as soon as she arrives.
Old 24 December 2010, 10:25 PM
Little_RB5 NO?
Scooby Regular

Hi Hadz Interesting looking project

Just trying to help but I didn't notice any of the following as factors in your budget

Have you accounted for the extra bits such as clutch, Flywheel, Ported headers & up pipe, Catch can, etc for reaching the 400bhp + trq

Would also suggest you get the engine sorted first before getting remaped again & again with adding the turbo & FMIC etc as this could be money you spend to further the project - I know it means waiting a little longer but sure would be worth it to do in one go

Look forward to see how you get on
Old 04 January 2011, 10:46 AM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Hey buddy,

Cheers for the interest. Sorry about the slow response, it's that time of year and all.

The flywheel and clutch are already uprated, but may get a different lightened clutch as after the upgrade it instilled a very small amount of clutch judder. The rest of the drive train will be replaced, I am looking at a straight cut PPG but with syncros (not dogbox) using the standard UK ratios.

Up pipes and heads have already been specced. Valves will be relapped/reseated cleaned and all the springs replaced. I may look at porting it at a later stage. Up pipes the garage already knows which type but I believe they are custom.

Sorry for any confusion but I intend to pretty much replace the whole car for new uprated parts. But keep her looking like a classic UK turbo.
This build is not for the fastest 0-60 or 1/4m drag but to be an awesome road car and daily drive.

Hope that helps understand a little further.

Hadez
Old 02 April 2011, 01:34 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Right I know it's been a while but I've been really very ill, now feeling all better and things can progress again.

Building of the short motor is commencing nicely as per the pics below.

Anyway on with the pics....

Right the to start it off we have the Manley Steel rods being put on the nitrided 2.5 crank.

Crank and rods being lowered into one side of the CDB

Checking it all moves freely.

Seals and gunk added.

Second half of the block being lowered on. She was a tight fit and took some persuasion with the old persuader.

A look at the machined surfaces, the block and rod inside the bore.

My new Mahle Piston

Piston and rings ready to be assembled.

Piston 1 being dropped into place.

Piston 1 & 3 in place.

That was as far as we got that evening. But more pics to come as we get the work done.
Old 11 April 2011, 09:27 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Right then on with the build....

All the pistons in and new uprated studs installed.

A comparison of my uprated studs compared to ARP studs, mine are on the right.

Shot blasted and re-painted oil sump.

Heads straight out the hotwasher. All relapped and reshimmed.

My new oil pump.

The Cosworth head gasket.

Heads going on one side.

Cams going back in. Maybe WRC ones to go in later.

Cover back in place.

Cosworth badge hanging out on the gasket.

Well thats it for the pics so far. The long block is almost complete but I forgot to take my camera in today. Most ancilliaries are back on the engine and looking to be dropped back in the car tomorrow.

Things are progressing rather quickly for now
Old 11 April 2011, 09:47 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

probably saw my car whilst in there lol
Old 11 April 2011, 09:56 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
probably saw my car whilst in there lol

Lol and which one might that be? I have had a little poke around most of the cars in there as we've been working on mine out of hours.
Old 11 April 2011, 10:01 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

its a blue blobeye sti, engine is currently also in being rebuilt.

your build has made a good read, really impressive, looking forward to more updates!
Old 16 April 2011, 09:56 PM
Hadez
Scooby Regular

Right the on with the build.

Well we've made massive progress and this shall be shown in the following pictures and explanation.

Engine on the stand with most of the ancilliaries back on.

The otherside of the engine.

My teeny weeny turbo....

Turbo mounted back in place on the block.

Final nuts being screwed on the turbo.

Exedy clutch going back on after engine was attached to the A frame.

Plastic covers cleaner up a little.

Engine being persuaded back into the bay.

Again being squeezed back in.

New samco coolant hoses going on.

More samco hoses.

Everything back in except the intercooler.

From another angle.

Now next issue was starting her up, she wouldn't fire. After swapping the crank sensor out she fired first turn.
A couple of small issues, the idle was running a bit high which turned out to be a slightly touchy idle control valve. Only other small issue was the broken dumpvalve that seemed to have become a little brittle on my old car. Len thankfully came up trumps and found and old OEM Subaru DV he had kicking about his workshop.

Next thing was to MOT the car, she'd been sat up for a while so I expected a few niggly bits. Thankfully there were 2 things it failed on, wiper blades not clearing efficiently and emissions. The emissions were a little worry but we had Simon from JGM coming down in a couple of days and decided to see what he could do for us as the map would need tweaking anyway.

After Simon worked his magic it went through it's MOT fairly easily

We then put her on the rolling road so Simon :mrgreen: could write a proper running in map for her, watching that guy work is something. The man is a wizard with the ECU's and scoobies.

Interestingly although they've set the red line at 5k rpm and it was only run once to that figure even with my small TD04L turbo at 0.7 Bar of boost we made an easy 207bhp/230lb which is quite remarkable. It means even though I'm only using 3500 rpm it's still a pleasant drive, with a new turbo and FMIC this car will be pulling like a freight train.

Len himself is very proud of this engine build and he deserves a big pat on the back from me for such a great lump. I've already clocked 100 miles in her keeping a very close eye on temps and lights and been checking the fluids regularly. Short of a very very small coolant leak which I think is from a cracked pipe which wasn't covered in the Samco kit needs a swap, but other than that thats the lower end of my block all sorted.

I know she's nothing to look at yet but the bling will come later. Function before bling in my book.