Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

turbo 2000 budget build

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2010, 04:42 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo 2000 budget build

hello guys and girls. although this is my 3rd impreza its going to be the first one ive decided to actually keep for more than a month. i bought it as a completely standard turbo 2000 for the bargain sum of £1100 mainly due to the astronomical mileage of 165k lol. even so it has a full history, all main dealer, full mot, tracker and to be fair is not in the worst of conditions.

i dont really have any pictures of it in a standard cond as as soon as i got it i started to work on it but im sure everbody knows what a standard t2000 looks like lol.

my plans for it ( some already afoot) are to
:strip it all out including sound deadening just leaving in the dash and centre console
: fit a couple of bucket seats and some harnesses
: remove rear spoiler
: fit coilovers
: change wheels
: sort bodywork
: decent exhaust system

as i say i have already started with the mods and im hoping to have the majority done within the next couple of months as the car is not a daily so doesnt need to be on the road.

during the time this work is underway im also going to be saving for a decent engine, will probs be going for a 2.5 cdb and am looking for a figure of around 350 bhp with torque to match at the wheels. not chasing figures but want something quick enough to put a smile on my face.

il update as and when i manage to complete any work or purchase new parts etc. im also fairly new to the world of scoobies coming from a ford background so any advice or tips along the way will be welcomed.

this is my second home, dont have a garage unfortunately just a carport at the side of the house with a shed built into the back. quite closed off from the elements other than wind.

as you can see it currently houses many parts removed from my car lol.

heres a couple of pics showing my car in its current state. ive already purchased and fitted clear lenses to replace amber ones and will soon be getting some sti rears.

have de-spoliered the boot, just need to get holes welded and painted,didnt think about that when i fitted sticker lol. you may also be able to make out the horrid paint on rear bumper and nsr quarter panel.

interior as it stands, will be replacing standard seats with set of bucket seats. also rear windows and mechs will be removed and replaced with lexan fixed in position.

Old 22 August 2010, 04:56 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be keeping a close eye on this one, being a turbo 2000 owner myself! All that interior weighs a bit doesn't it!
Old 22 August 2010, 05:04 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Be keeping a close eye on this one, being a turbo 2000 owner myself! All that interior weighs a bit doesn't it!
tell me about it. i made a pint of keeping it all together including screws and even all the little brackets that bolt in place so i can weight it when its all removed.

have to say i read your thread and was very impressed and to be honest gave me the courage to just dive in and see what happens lol
Old 22 August 2010, 05:23 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaturbo1984
have to say i read your thread and was very impressed and to be honest gave me the courage to just dive in and see what happens lol
Excellent nothing ventured nothing gained......
The best bit is when someone asks you who did all the work and you'll be able to proudly repy "I did "

You'd best keep me informed of your engine spec as it progresses too
Old 22 August 2010, 05:30 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

will do bud, at the mo it literally just has a green panel filter as if i do anymore than this the engine may crap itself so going to build as i go with a new engine. ideally it will be 2.5 cdb, sti heads.simtek ecu, front mount and a nice roller bearing turbo but not laggy.

what id really like to do would be to change transmission to rwd but think thats just the lad in me.probs wont come to anything
Old 23 August 2010, 05:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

what id really like to do would be to change transmission to rwd but think thats just the lad in me.probs wont come to anything
I did look into this, albeit very briefly, a couple of years back and from what I can gather the gearox and diff aren't really up to running just RWD and no other (reasonably priced) RWD gearbox seems to be available for the Scooby engine

What you need is a box with a dccd...........
Old 23 August 2010, 05:13 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

I did look into this, albeit very briefly, a couple of years back and from what I can gather the gearox and diff aren't really up to running just RWD and no other (reasonably priced) RWD gearbox seems to be available for the Scooby engine

What you need is a box with a dccd...........
lol like i say would probs never come to fruition just always liked the idea.

should have a small update at the weekend with the addition of some nice lairy green wheels and hayward and scott exhaust system
Old 05 September 2010, 10:17 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

been a bit slow on this so far. first of all i managed to get a full hayward and scott system in 2.5" bore with a 3" exit for a bargain price of £95. this has now been polished and fitted to the car. i managed to trace a major problem i had with the alarm etc not working to a blown fuse in engine bay so im extremely glad it was a simple fix lol.

the main stage that will be starting in 3 weeks is a colour change
im not one for keeping people waiting so i shall tell all and my mate tom who runs lemass bodyshop will be taking pics throughout.

i have decided to stick to my ford roots a little and as such, the car will be going ford frozen white as found on new st's etc. the roof will be carbon wrapped. there will be no spoiler, skirts and handles etc will be colour coded and then when it returns i will be removing all the sound deadening from inside and painting in a dark grey found on audis.

im hoping it will look as good i real life as it does in my head lol
Old 06 September 2010, 08:54 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Liking the sound of you plans. The classic shape should really suit the fresh frozen white colour

Oh and if your after weight saving, I removed the airbag, cables and sensors (replaced with a jap spec steering wheel) and saved nearly 5kgs in weight!!
Old 06 September 2010, 09:12 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

Liking the sound of you plans. The classic shape should really suit the fresh frozen white colour

Oh and if your after weight saving, I removed the airbag, cables and sensors (replaced with a jap spec steering wheel) and saved nearly 5kgs in weight!!
sounds like a nice cheap way of gaining some extra hp lol. i was thinking about a nice suede sparco wheel of some sort, didnt think as far as removing all other airbag parts but it does make sense i guess.

yeah im really hoping that the colour looks like it could be standard but is enough to make people think twice and also really hope that the wrapped roof doesnt look naff. had a few people say to have it done matt black but i honestly think the carbon wrap will look so much better even though its not real
Old 06 September 2010, 10:02 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

will watch this closely as i've just started my own project wrx, strip down and repair it, probably for some track time.
Old 06 September 2010, 11:41 PM
ProdriveTony
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate, just doing mine at the moment. Hard work, but fun and worth it
Old 07 September 2010, 10:07 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

cheers chaps. getting a door on sat to replace one of mine that isnt really worth repairing. ive also arranged to have bumper washer jets removed and im also debating as to wether or not i should have ariel on a pillar removed altogether
Old 09 September 2010, 04:31 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

ive also arranged to have bumper washer jets removed and im also debating as to wether or not i should have ariel on a pillar removed altogether
Go for it, I did and it looks tons better for it!
Old 09 September 2010, 06:38 PM
fiestaturbo1984
Scooby Regular

yeah im going to have it done and also have the swage line on the boot removed aswell.cant wait to get in in there and started
Old 09 September 2010, 07:31 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

yeah im going to have it done and also have the swage line on the boot removed aswell.cant wait to get in in there and started
I considered doing that to the boot but decided against it thinking it might leave the boot looking a little too plain..... hence me just de-locking and de-third lighting it instead!!