Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

starting to do my bugeye up

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2010, 10:35 AM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting to do my bugeye up

Hi all im after parts for my bugeye as im starting to tune it up so im intrested in parts as mine is a standered . Any help and advice or parts would be a great help . many thanks
Old 11 July 2010, 10:40 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

What kind of money do you want to spend, and what kind of power do you want? Is it an STI or WRX?
Old 11 July 2010, 10:44 AM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

its an sti and im on a buy it monthly with spare cash but will have 500notes on the 26th to get started
Old 11 July 2010, 10:45 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, if you are going to up the power you will need to budget for commensurate mods on the chassis, and given that bugs are now getting on for between 7 and 10 years old, you may find things will start to break as you ask more of them - put some money aside to cover that.

Once you start though, you will find it addictive and will really start to enjoy the car, I know I am enjoying the experience all over again
Old 11 July 2010, 10:47 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by p.lambo
its an sti and im on a buy it monthly with spare cash but will have 500notes on the 26th to get started
Get an exhaust and a panel filter, next save for a remap, open source from about £350 or Ecutek for about £600. I have an open source one, just check out the reputation of the mapper. Fiestaboy (FB Tuning) or Dynamix are both on here and have proven track records
Old 11 July 2010, 10:51 AM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

thanks jonMC
Old 11 July 2010, 10:51 AM
Forester sti
Scooby Regular

Are you looking for used or new parts?
If new, click on a trader banner at the top of the page, and have a chat!
What aspect of her are you prioritising. ie. power, handling, style?

In my opinion, every scooby should be lowered on a good quality spring like white line control, Rear anti roll bar and geometry setup with around 1.5 - 2 deg neg camber on the front, and wheel spacers to fill the arches better, handling sorted!
Good fast road/track pads ,dot 5.1 fluid and braided lines will sort your brakes,
Panel filter, full exhaust (de-cat or sports cat) and custom Remap

I think the above are what ever scooby should have at least!!

Have fun what ever you do!
Dan
Old 11 July 2010, 11:18 AM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

both dont mind used if its in good nick . handling is preaty good on an sti alreedy dose it need upgraded
Old 11 July 2010, 11:40 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

As you have an STI I would eek out a little more power with the exhaust, a good panel filter and a remap. The standard brakes and shocks, as long as they are in good nick would be fine for road use with as much as a remap on the standard turbo will give you. If you plan on a bigger turbo, then I would look at some uprated discs and maybe some new shocks as a minimum. A decent geo set-up and some thicker roll bars as mentioned will improve the car no end. I'm running about 1.5 degree camber at the rear and 1.75 degrees at the front (albeit with a hefty drop) and it sticks to the road like glue.

Remember it has to be a package though, no good doing one bit well and skimping on cheap tyres or fuel or skipping a service - remember the basics
Old 11 July 2010, 11:40 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

--

Last edited by JonMc; 11 July 2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: double post
Old 14 July 2010, 09:45 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

jonMc were can i get a good geo setup . im looking at an 3"full decat system new on ebay or a revaltion . not sure wether to change panel filter or fit an induction kit ? have new alloys with yokohama parada tyres fitted on car and looking to get jollygreenmonster to remap as his name comes up a lot on here
Old 14 July 2010, 09:46 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

and mybe a new fuel pump but not to sure how to fit that
Old 14 July 2010, 10:01 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by p.lambo
jonMc were can i get a good geo setup . im looking at an 3"full decat system new on ebay or a revaltion . not sure wether to change panel filter or fit an induction kit ? have new alloys with yokohama parada tyres fitted on car and looking to get jollygreenmonster to remap as his name comes up a lot on here
Don't bother with an induction kit, a panel filter will be fine - K&N or Green.

If you get a full decat, make sure you wrap the downpipe to ensure you don't induce additional heat into the engine bay. I would avoid ebay exhausts as they are too thin, a revolution or cobra exhaust are better made.

Your STI fuel pump should be fine, but it's a pain in the backside job to do - access is the main issue, but otherwise it is fairly straightforward.

JGM and Bob Rawle are both good for Ecutek maps, same as Dynamix and Fiestaboy both do good open-source mapping but for less money because you are not paying for a software licence.

As for a geo set-up, Carnetic in Melton Mowbray come highly recommended, but it all depends upon where you are. Some garages will be happy to dial in whatever settings you ask them, others will stick to factory settings. You can adjust toe front and rear, and front camber with the factory kit. You'd need camber bolts or top-mounts to adjust rear camber.

I have max castor at the front, 1.75 degrees front camber and 1.5 degrees rear camber with zero toe front and rear. I have adjustable front top mounts and rear arms which all help and the car is very neutral now in terms of handling

Last edited by JonMc; 14 July 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:10 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Second for Carnetic's, regarding the fuel pump if it is standard get it changed mine was replaced as part of a tuning package which took me to 360 bhp (hence360ste) I recently uprated the pump further as now at 416 bhp and was told the 255 lph pump was good to about 450bhp but as my pump was 6 years old was being a bit cautious.
I have just ordered brakes through the K-sport GB on here so that will be sorted next month. Regarding suspension I have Tein coilovers, Power flex and whiteline bushes and various other whiteline additions.
Where in the country are you? As that will allow people to comment about companies closer to you.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:45 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

im in basingstoke i know off subaru4you but they are very pricey .