Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Type R STI V5 Rebuild need a little advice!

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2009, 06:47 PM
Jimbob_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Type R STI V5 Rebuild need a little advice!

Im currently rebuilding my type R i aim to make it a fast road car/occasional track use. Im looking for just over 500BHP. i know its a closed deck block, i was thinking of having the RCM 14mm stud conversion and modified cosworth headgasket, 2.2 full cosworth strocker kit with there forged crank, bearings and rings and ARP block bolts. RCM twisted turbo kit, and RCM garrett GT30 turbo. i already have walbro intank pump feeding a swirl pot to a bosch 044 pump feeding parallel fuel rails and fuel reg. I dont want to touch the heads been told the V5 heads dont need touching to get this power. Could some one tell me if this will work and be reliable as a every day run around. Also i have data on uk tightning torques for bottom end but dont for STI 5 are they the same? Any advice would be brill cheers.
Old 28 July 2009, 09:01 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Sounds a good plan, I'm sure someone will pop along soon to answer your questions, if not get on 22b.com theres some very clued up guys on there

Don't forget to uprate your gearbox and clutch
Old 28 July 2009, 09:05 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

I would be speaking to enginetuner about one of their 2.1 strokers and a s206 turbo Or any other plans for that matter Best of luck with your build
Old 28 July 2009, 09:11 PM
andyscoobym3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob_Scooby
Im currently rebuilding my type R i aim to make it a fast road car/occasional track use. Im looking for just over 500BHP. i know its a closed deck block, i was thinking of having the RCM 14mm stud conversion and modified cosworth headgasket, 2.2 full cosworth strocker kit with there forged crank, bearings and rings and ARP block bolts. RCM twisted turbo kit, and RCM garrett GT30 turbo. i already have walbro intank pump feeding a swirl pot to a bosch 044 pump feeding parallel fuel rails and fuel reg. I dont want to touch the heads been told the V5 heads dont need touching to get this power. Could some one tell me if this will work and be reliable as a every day run around. Also i have data on uk tightning torques for bottom end but dont for STI 5 are they the same? Any advice would be brill cheers.
sounds like a good plan, stick to a stock mount turbo ie; md321v or md555 or fp green hta, they will all do 500+ and you dont have the fabricating problems of fitting a rotated kit and also the expense of a rotated kit and external wastegate

hope this helps
Old 28 July 2009, 09:39 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

If the car is mainly used on the road have you thought about going down the 2.5 route ?
Old 29 July 2009, 12:50 PM
Jimbob_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys. I have thought about 2.5 but decided i want to keep my closed deck block as it revs higher than the 2.5. Im putting a six speed gear box in but which one im still not sure! The only reason i was going for the twisted turbo kit was so i could upgrade in the future. Also isnt air flow restricted to the turbo when you run the induction pipe through the inlet manifold?
Old 29 July 2009, 01:00 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

i've been told by people who have been there and done it that rotated is best. normal position ones may produce the numbers but rotated are quicker
Old 29 July 2009, 09:29 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Forester STI 6 speed is the most desirable 6 speeder, as it has longer gearing the problem is that they are rare and tend to fetch a premium price.
Old 30 July 2009, 06:21 PM
Jimbob_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers once again also what clutch is best to use?
Old 31 July 2009, 10:04 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

For the sort of specs mentioned above you prob want to be looking at an exedy twin plate. They aren't cheap but will take the power / torque and give better drivability then a single plate.
Old 31 July 2009, 10:47 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Jim,

You've got a good base with the closed deck CDB. Personally I wouldnt bother with the cosworth stuff as its hellishly expensive. Get the block machined to accept the rear thurst bearing and go for the standard Subaru EJ257 Crank. Then give Mark @ Lateral a shout for some of his stroker rods and pistons.

Although all this about 2.5's not revving well is complete rubbish. Its how you build it and what you build it with. My last car was a standard 2.5 bottom end with standard STI5 heads and a rotated GT30R it made 452bhp @ 1.4 bar and hit the 8k limiter no problem at all.

Considering the quality of some of the bolt ons out there I wouldn't bother going rotated if you're just looking for 500. I would seriously consider the MD321T, anything bigger than that is going to be too laggy. I have the RCM twisted stuff with a GT35R and the quality is second to non but the bolt on stuff has just come on so much in the last few years they have to be seriously considered.

Torque settings are identical unless you're going aftermarket. Again for the block cases the standard stuff is fine. I've heard that the ARP block bolts have to be tightened up that much that block distortion occurs. Defo go with after market head studs though.

Clutch wise, i'd look at either an Exedy twin plate or an ACT offering. MY car is going to be a built and strengthened torquey 2.5 with high circa 600bhp and I'm going to try one of the ACT clutches as they are a 3rd the cost of a twin plate setup.

6 speed from a Forrester or from 06 onwards STI

If you get stuck i'm only in Doncaster feel free to give me a shout.

Daz

Last edited by dazdavies; 31 July 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01 August 2009, 07:34 PM
Jimbob_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Daz im only in Rotherham so not far away! Im only using cosworth parts cos i've got a good deal with there rep! There stroker kit uses the EJ257 crank but its forged. The kit comes complete with there race bearings, rings and the rear thrust bearing. Where would you take the block to have the mechine work done for the rear thrusht bearing? I was only getting the twisted turbo kit so i could upgrade in the future. Do I have to change the hubs on 06 onwards boxes? Will my heads be fine or should i change springs and retainers? Which FMIC do you use? Once again cheers
Old 02 August 2009, 11:59 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

I'm using Cosworth parts for my new build too. Although I'm not bothering on paying £2K plus for a forged crank when the standard subaru one has been more than proven to cope with 800bhp. There's a bloody good engineering company in Doncaster that will be able to do the rear thrust conversion AE Arnett and Sons in Balby.

Contact Mark from Lateral, he'll sell you the single centre thrust bearing too.
Running both centre and rear thrust is the best option.

Your heads will be fine upto 500bhp beyond that I'd suggest replacing the valves, springs retainers and cams. My Intercooler is one of scooby clinics offerings.

Daz
Old 03 August 2009, 02:16 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Im currently rebuilding my type R i know its a closed deck block,
Dont know if you have sourced the block separately but the type R`s didnt get a CDB as stock
Old 03 August 2009, 06:32 PM
Jimbob_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Cheers once again Daz not sure if your in the trade or not but i get trade discount on everything and anything so maybe we could help each other out? Bit of your knowledge and discount parts if i can help you! Oh and i was told that version 5&6's came with CDB as stock?!
Old 04 August 2009, 12:08 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Cheers once again Daz not sure if your in the trade or not but i get trade discount on everything and anything so maybe we could help each other out? Bit of your knowledge and discount parts if i can help you! Oh and i was told that version 5&6's came with CDB as stock?!

Hi Mate,

Not in the trade, I'm an IT geek that escapes to his garage whenever he can to do some full on DIY tuning

Version 5's and 6's are NOT closed deck.

The closed decks came from early classics and are centre thrust.

Not a major set back as 2.0L closed deck blokes are easily got hold of. Its the EJ22T closed deck block that's rocking horse poo.
Old 04 August 2009, 06:19 PM
Jimbob_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Sounds a good plan! Im sure i could help you out with parts plus im not far away and its my family run business just getting into tuning and modifying and can get hold of alot of parts at competative prices! So where do i get hold of a CDB just the block? What prices are they? Should meet up one night and discuss my plans over a pint!
Old 04 August 2009, 06:50 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Give Mark @ Lateral Performance a ring.
Mark is one of the leading scooby parts suppliers in the UK and it's fairly hard to build a decent Scooby without sourcing parts some from him.

Give him a ring on 01923 238477

Lateral Performance Ltd| Home | Engine, & Related Components | Engine Components, & Blocks | Engine Block Pairs | EJ20 Closed Deck Block With Oil Squirters (Used)

If ya do fancy a chat send me a PM we'll sort something out.

Daz