Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

project type R

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2009, 01:39 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default project type R

I was going to do this post in 1 but the pics are building up 2 quick and would probably take weeks 2 do when finished so here goes

For a few weeks now i have owned a sonic blue type r , i was after 1 for ages and looked at a number of them but did'nt find 1 i liked

It was a pain in the ar$e as all that kept coming up for sale was white and yellow and i really wanted a blue , grey or black 1

I finally spotted a Blue 1 for decent money that needed some cosmetic work but only because i didn't like the wheels ,bumper and skirts but i got stock in my shed so it wasn't a problem .

I travelled through the centre of London and got 2 the car at about 1:30pm i checked over the car and took it for a 10 mile test drive , i was extremmely happy and decided yeah i'll have it

It was great as i was driving back and was really responsive and drive well
I then got 2 Luton M1 service sign i looked down and thought i need some fuel and a pit stop so i'll stop here , put my foot 2 the floor for the last stretch and pulled into the 1st lane looked in my rear view mirror and noticed i was smopking i pulled off into service area and engine just died , I'd done 100 miles and was realy worried what was going on

the car would no longer started so i rung the AA

The AA truck arrived and because of how low the front of the car was the front bumper had 2 be removed 2 get it on the truck

After getting it back and dropped of @ Pole Positon Uk , we all got onto it and tried starting the car and after a few times turning it over , it started i was happy again until we realised the compression was extremmely High so we stripped out the engine with headgasket failure

The reason for so many pics - After the engine was taken out myself and Sharky started to chat about doing some trick things , he came up with the idea of brightening up the engine bay with a new paint job , so i started stripping and prepping the bay ( this took a week of scotchbriting ) also to be done was the underside of the bonnet and the masking up

after a few coats of new 74f Sonic blue i decided to unmask the original stickers to laquer over them

after the unmasking and in the sunlight

After painting i decide that all cabling needed tidying so went 2 work on the cable covering and removed all of the old dirty black stuff and replaced with new blue stuff , i also thought it would be a good time to cover over brake hoses with silicone hose

Also after thinking about brightening up the bay i thought that it needed a second colour and beacuse i wanted 2 be a little differant i wanted something special so i looked and i thought and decided on orange
I then had to decide which orange was gonna work with the blue , i thought focus st orange , but then changed my mind and went with something a lot more pearl Lamborgini Orange
I've decided to have a few things done in this and have got a few things done @ the minute

A few things done 2 see if the colour works together , i think it work's really well so now have a lot of part prepping to do

will keep this updated when something new happens
i will be continuing the orange theme on the exterior b ut nothing over the top
oppinions welcome
Old 18 May 2009, 10:31 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

looking good, very shiny bay

i lke the way you have disappeared the brake lines with the silicon hose...any details on that, I may be tempted to do something similar

I want to see the sti brace unmasked
Old 18 May 2009, 10:52 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

the brake lines are covered with 3-4mm hose cut length ways and fed over the lines , really tricky in some places but worth it if u ask me
also the sti brace will be unmasked when i'm happy but it needs doing again for it 2 be perfect along with a couple of other pieces
Old 10 June 2009, 10:26 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Default Update

time 4 an update i think

been busy with a load of little tedious bits and finally found some 1.5mm headgskets through Mark @ Latteral
well i decided that a few of the engine bits and pices needed paintin so i went to work preppin the washer bottle for paint

i thought to myself when i started preppin that it would look better without the writin and joint line on them so sanded the life out of the bottle and ended up like this

i think it's a nice little touch but after finishing this i realised i had to do the same to the Intercooler water bottle so i went to work with that 2

also whilst the engine was aprt i decided to paint the rocker covers

my v4 sti heads after coming bk from the engine centre freshly skimmed

i decided also rather than having a red or polished inlet manifold that it would look better with the orange theme so it had to prepped

I also decided to paint my cam covers but never photo'd them b4

after a few coats of paint on them i was gettin excited again

I have been searchin through subaru sites and auction sites for special pieces and 1 night a nice freshly flocked dashboard appeared for me 2 buy ( sorry no pics yet )

after hours of refitting the inlet back 2gether i finally got it finished and also changed the crappy plastic turbo hose with a nice blue samco hose :-)

i'm looking to change the coilpack leads to blue just to match the theme but can't jjustify spendin the mone when the yellow leads are only 400 miles old so if any1 wants
2 swap please do

i've got 2 get a few more pieces on my dashboard flocked so if any1 knows somewhere local it would be a great help

i have also sent my alternator, air con pump and header tank away to be highly polished should be here this week i hope

also after buying me a set of symms headers or summat like that i've finally got round to wrappin them just the downpipe to sort now

more pics will be added soon :mrgreen:

another little update
today i wrapped my downpipe and finished off my headers , i must say to those who are gona wrap something wear gloves and long sleeves as this stuff itches like mad

I must say a massive thanx to M.b @ Pole position for staying open last night so i could finish my inlet manifold
also a massive thanx to Sharky for sortin me my new rims :mrgreen:

i'm unsure as to what colour the rims should go so photoshop guru's help me out please maybe orange :mrgreen:

Old 25 June 2009, 08:45 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Little update , got a few things done and it's now begining to look like a car again
1st off i have fitted my sender's for my gauges as it's just easy as the engine is out
Oil Pressure sender is located here

Oil temperature 1 is normally fiddly but piece of cake while engine is like this

headers , turbo and cam's back in and rocker covers on i also painted the block white but i don't like it

timing belt on and cam covers on

Clutch now fitted and on the engine hoist

engine ready to drop in

engine being lined up

engine bolted in place and hoist moved

I never liked the white on the block so i decided silver so mask and paint i did

Next day was time to fit the inlet and washer bottle and what i could

still got a load of niggly jobs left to do fit fmic
the car is also prepped ready for paint so should be out nice and shiny outside aswell
Old 25 June 2009, 08:54 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to seeing this all done mate, looking good!
Old 26 June 2009, 09:16 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

you gotta do your rims orange to match your bay...wish I was a close as you are to getting it running
Old 26 June 2009, 11:10 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

i've got 2 seta of rims
set of 18" rota sub zero lightweight alloys and my 17 " speedlines
Old 26 June 2009, 12:09 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Orange speedlines it is then