Classic WRX circuit racer for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2008, 04:23 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Classic WRX circuit racer for 2009

Having previously prepared a car for the MR2 Challenge for a couple of years:

We moved on to prepare a Supercharged version for the Nippon Challenge for 2008:

This isn't performing as expected, despite front end air-flow mods and a home built charge-cooling system. It might be running properly in time for the end of the season!

So, we're returning to the fold with a new car for 2009. It's a 1995 WRX:

Previously used to good effect doing hillclimbs in a road-going class.

TD05 Turbo, HKS induction/Exhaust.

Ohlins uprated/lowered suspension with adjustable dampers. Whiteline 22/24mm ARB's and anti-lift kit. Adjustable front top mounts. Bump steer modification. Camber bolts. All set up by Powerstation.

Recently fitted with EBC clutch and Toyo Proxes tyres on 16" alloys.

Clifford Thatcham 1 alarm/immobiliser

Only 53,000 miles. Taxed, MOT'd until January 2009!!

Not so great bits...

Only got small two-pot brakes (EBC red pads).

5 minutes after setting off for home (Worcester) from Penzance where it was purchased it blew the top coolant hose due to knackered Head Gaskets!!

All being fixed now by sponsors xspec.co.uk
Old 10 July 2008, 03:26 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Following the announcement of the future Subaru Production Championshp ( Nippon Challenge :: View topic - SUBARU PRODUCTION CHAMPIONSHIP ), we had a quick chat with Graham at XSpec and it's now fairly certain that Karen's WRX will be prepared to enter that rather than the Modified class. (At least she's used to being lapped!)

This may mean the removal of a few items, which we can hopefully sell on to re-coup some cash. Ohlins suspension, adjustable top mounts anyone?

We've certainly put an order in with Graham for our rollcage and I guess I'll have to get down to stripping the interior trim and sound deadening out in anticipation of the 'cage arriving in a few weeks.
Old 14 September 2008, 05:14 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Lots been happening, so a bit of a roundup:

I bagged these fellas off eBay for £186 including delivery. Corbeau Forza seats with adjustable Impreza subframes ready to bolt in.

Also found a cheap source for a rain light, which I've ordered as well. eBay.co.uk Shop - Rambo Auto Tools: MotorSport Parts: Tyre Temperature Meter, pyrometer, Track day, MC750

Hurrah! eBay triumphs again. Spotted an auction had just been posted for some Subaru Impreza 4-pot calipers and I opted for the good value "Buy it now" price.

So... I've got a pair of front calipers and a pair of rear calipers for £166.99.

We'll invest in some braided hoses, XSpec discs and pads and then I'll give the calipers a tidy up and colour scheme change and bolt it all together.

Got stuck into some real work on the Impreza. Stripped most of the interior. Just the headlining and some minor trim to go, and chip off all the interior sound deadening. The sound deadening might have to wait until the car returns from XSpec with its new rollcage installed. Hopefully the car will be going in this weekend for that and other stuff...

Darren delivered some 17" STi alloys on Sunday that he's lending us. I removed one of the current rear wheels and trial fitted the new alloys. As expected, it didn't fit! :evil:

The rear strut clearance is always marginal on Imprezas of this age but the wheel/tyre combo was fouling on the strut. The STi alloys were wearing 225/45 x17 tyres which were oversized for our needs and probably didn't help, but another contributing factor was the amount of negative camber dialled in which forced the top of the wheel closer to the strut. In fact, I discovered a mark on the struts and looked at the back of the current tyre to discover all the lettering had been rubbed off! Even the original 16" wheels were rubbing. This slows progress down somewhat. Can't fit the bigger alloys, so can't fit the new front brake calipers... Bah! :x

Ordered an HEL braided brake line kit off eBay, just to cheer myself up.

Ultimate Stripper Action!

Then I made the mistake of spending some time on eBay... I'm getting pretty good at finding bargains now though, and ended up bagging these beauties for £160! 8)

4 x brand new boxed Ultralite ATEC in 7 x 17" ET48 for Subaru Impreza. I was well chuffed, then saw he had another set in silver. Had a quick chat with Karen and then made him an offer. Things didn't quite work out coz someone else bid on them in the meantime, so this evening I bid on them myself and ended up paying a lot less than my original offer. I got them for £112!!!!!! :twisted:

As before, 4 of them boxed as new...

Snag? Gotta collect on Saturday from Preston. No biggie! :roll:

More shiny bits arrived, in the form of the braided hose kit from HEL:

After dropping Rexy off with the guys at XSpec on Saturday morning, we travelled up the M6 to Preston where we collected the alloy wheels. They're now cluttering up the study:

What can I say? They're gorgeous, comparatively light and were a total bargain.

That's the story so far - Car currently having the rollcage fitted and they'll either fit the coilovers or we'll do it. Then we can get some tyres for the 17" wheels on and fit the new calipers, etc.

Last edited by Squizz; 15 September 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 14 September 2008, 11:08 PM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

you.... it was you damn you..... those are from the guy in preston on ebay had 2 sets of wheels lol.... I was watching them for days and days at £80 then some prat started bidding on them lol...... damn you pmsl

good luck with the build, though I would shy away from the forza's they tend to flex alot, seen some that actually snapped...... good show seat, not really a seat i would trust for track use....
Old 15 September 2008, 08:03 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fygtbug
you.... it was you damn you..... those are from the guy in preston on ebay had 2 sets of wheels lol.... I was watching them for days and days at £80 then some prat started bidding on them lol...... damn you pmsl
Ah - Sorry! I was surprised at the comparatively low bids too.

Originally Posted by fygtbug
good luck with the build, though I would shy away from the forza's they tend to flex alot, seen some that actually snapped...... good show seat, not really a seat i would trust for track use....
Cheers for he heads-up. We'll be wary. They're marked for FIA use after all, but I'd have preferred a better seat(s). We've used a couple of different seats before now that weren't steel framed. These will have to do with at least to begin with. Most of the decent seats are just too damn small unless you spend a fortune.
Old 15 September 2008, 09:34 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You can use 16" MY99/00 5 spoke alloys fine with 4pots
Old 15 September 2008, 10:35 AM
CupraDave
Scooby Regular

Great project

Those alloys you got are lovely and seem to have been a proper bargin

I wish you all the best with it, I have subscribed so I can keep up to date with your progress
Old 15 September 2008, 02:07 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
You can use 16" MY99/00 5 spoke alloys fine with 4pots
I know.

I've got an MY99 from new. Sold the 16" wheels a while back. Now running that on 17" WRX alloys.

The regs for the production series look set to involve 17" wheels to allow the greatest selection of possible tyres. (Although we may yet get a control tyre). So that's the reason for hunting out 17". Besides, got them nearly as cheap as some 16"!!

Looking forward to hearing what kind of power the dyno thinks it's putting out.

If anyone is interested then more details on Karen Phillips Racing and www.nipponchallenge.co.uk

plenty of videos on youtube now. Search for "Nippon Challenge"

Old 15 September 2008, 02:10 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraDave
Great project

Those alloys you got are lovely and seem to have been a proper bargin

I wish you all the best with it, I have subscribed so I can keep up to date with your progress
Oooh, cheers!
Old 15 September 2008, 03:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

damm i would have expected the forza seats to be cheaper then that, i bought 2 of them for 100quid each from a ripspeed shop 6/7 years ago!!!
Old 15 September 2008, 03:39 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
damm i would have expected the forza seats to be cheaper then that, i bought 2 of them for 100quid each from a ripspeed shop 6/7 years ago!!!
About £115-£120 each these days brand new. I'm happy enough as their condition is as new and someone's already gone to the trouble of putting them on the original frames too.

Previously had a Corbeau Sprint Kevlar/GRP shelled seat, but it's just too damn tight. I get cramp in my hip driving for more than a couple of minutes! (I must be getting old).

Admittedly they are heavy seats and frames, but beggars can't be choosers.
Old 15 September 2008, 06:42 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Rich

Looking good

Keep posting pictures.

Best wishes to Karen,

Richard

PS we must catch up one of these days, and I'll spectate at some events in 2009 (promise)
Old 16 September 2008, 08:07 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Etheridge-Bird
Rich

Looking good

Keep posting pictures.

Best wishes to Karen,

Richard

PS we must catch up one of these days, and I'll spectate at some events in 2009 (promise)
Hi Richard - I was hoping to catch up with you at a hillclimb this year. Been to Shelsly when I could. Been so busy with racing and car prep, as usual.

We both look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

Cheers,
Rich.

PS - Sure we can't tempt you to the "Dark Side" and do some circuit racing?
Old 16 September 2008, 10:16 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Squizz
Hi Richard - I was hoping to catch up with you at a hillclimb this year. Been to Shelsly when I could. Been so busy with racing and car prep, as usual.

We both look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

Cheers,
Rich.

PS - Sure we can't tempt you to the "Dark Side" and do some circuit racing?
Rich

Very tempted - but house move may curtail expenditure!
Old 03 November 2008, 04:04 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Having just returned from a great holiday in the 'States, Karen and I made our way to XSpec in Hinkley with bleary eyes on Saturday morning. Graham gave us a warm welcome with hot drinks and chat. Lots of good news on Karen's WRX and a bill that wasn't as extensive as we'd feared!

Rexy is now MOT'd for another 12 months which will come in handy getting used to how it performs and for wearing in new tyres. We don't currently have a trailer so at least we can still move it around legally and get it to trackdays, etc.

Work done included MOT preparation, fitting an uprated fuel pump, fitting and setting the geometry for the XSpec Coilovers, fitting the rollcage, supplying new XSpec brake discs and finally getting the power checked/set on the rolling road. Headline figures were 203bhp & 192 lbs/ft at 4500rpm at the wheels!

I drove Rexy home in convoy with Karen who drove my 1999 UK model Impreza Turbo. I'd never really noticed before much difference between Impreza models, but Rexy could now lay waste to my car!

So, when the weather allows all the bits lying about in the study and garage will be fitted and we'll be looking for a trackday to try it out...
Old 09 November 2008, 06:00 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Shame ya cant run early sti ra's in that class.
Good thread
Old 10 November 2008, 02:14 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasemac
Shame ya cant run early sti ra's in that class.
Good thread
Cheers.

It's possible that the Subaru Cup will be extended to cover various model types or put RA's into a modified class. If there are enough people who want that, then it'll happen...

While the rest of the Nippon Challenge were splashing about at Brands Hatch on Saturday, I used the break in the rain back here to work on my friends car and Rexy! I changed the oil and oil filter on his Forester, as well as the air filter. Once that was done, I turned my attention to Rexy...

Swapped the "ghey" 16" rims and worn tyres for the wheels lent to us by Darren. 17" WRX Sti alloys, fixed in place by some very light longer wheelnuts:

Fitted the new bucket seats and the spare harness for the passenger side. Driver's side is still using the inertia-reel belt until we get a proper new 5-point Sabelt harness from Peter Lloyd Rallying:

Karen's really happy with her car now. She took it for a blast and loved every second!

PS - Apologies for the quality of the photos. They were from my camera phone which is usually very good, but I didn't realise the lens was covered in crap! :roll:

Sunday saw more prep through changeable weather conditions. Darren and David were on hand and between us we fitted the new XSpec front 295mm discs and the 4-pot calipers and new braided brake lines. Using some worn standard pads at the moment, but will probably end up using Carbotech items.

The driver's side proved really troublesome, with the nut that attaches the fixed brake pipe to the flexible section refusing to budge and making itself prone to rounding off. Tried a spanner that worked on the flats, mole grips, heat, all to no avail. Ended up with a trip to Halfords for a proper brake pipe nut spanner and that did the magic. Right tool for the right job!

Car's still on axle stands for now, as we'll do the rear brake lines and then bleed the whole system and check everything. Here's hoping for a break in the weather next weekend.