Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

MY 99 UK Turbo modding

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2008, 06:03 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 99 UK Turbo modding

This is my second Scooby, the first being a MY96 WRX V-Limited, which I built a 2.5 engine, and loads of other mods. With the things I learnt from that build, I bought the new Scoob from ABW, fitted with a Chargespeed body kit, 22B front bumper and 18" wheels with the intention of heavily modifying it.

Chapter 1: ICE.

I already had a pair of Alpine 6x9's and a Sony Xplod 400w 4 channel amp from my Old Scoob so the hunt was on for some new toys. After a lot of trawling through good ole fleabay, I picked up some great bargains.

Kenwood KDC-M7024 head unit - £45 this was sold as faulty as it wouldn't play CD's, but I stripped it down, cleaned it and now it works perfect!

Wharfedale DVD player with 7" motorised screen - £20 again, sold as faulty. The previous owner said the screen wouldn't work, but I can only summerise that the person didn't connect the safety hand brake wire which disable's the screen when the car is being driven.

As my Scoob only has a single DIN aperature some drastic action had to be taken, so it was out with the console and dremel and I cut the cigarette lighter and ashtray out, so now got 2 DIN aperatures.

The original rear shelf speakers were taken out and the Alpine 6x9's put in their place, though are mounted under the shelf as the holes aren't big enough for the speakers. I used the wires that came with the speakers instead of the car's standard loom so I can easily feed them from the amp. Though the wires are naff standard speaker wire and some decent OFC (oxygen Free Cable) will be bought at some stage.

To get the rear speakers out, the rear seats need to be taken out, then carefully prise the plastic side trim off either side by the seatbelt top mounts.
With these panels removed, the shelf top can be pulled out revealing the speakers. These are held in by 3 screws on each, so with either an 8mm spanner or philips screwdriver, take the screws out, lift the speakers up to remove the wiring plug then remove completely.

The front speakers leave a lot to be disired, so they were ditched in favour of some Infintiy 6010CS reference speakers ( £40 from fleabay again) These are 6.5" components with passive crossovers and tweeters. All I had to do was to take the original speaker mounts in the doors out and replace them with the mounts supplied. The cross over are mounted behind the door cards so shouldn't get wet and the tweeters are mounted on the mirror panels, which turned out to be a very close fit when the doors are closed! I bought 10 metres of 2mm OFC cable to wire it all in and again, I used the cable to connect the speakers to the amp instead of using the original loom. I didn't bother to take pictures of this install as it really is a case of swapping speakers around and just drilling new holes to secure them.

The DVD player is wired into the Kenwood H/U by using an autochanger adaptor lead. Though the actual DVD can't be controlled bu the H/U, the sound output is.

The Kenwood has full audio control for Bass, Midrange and treble, so after spending ages upsetting the neighbours, Top Gun sounds bl00dy good!!

Just got to find my Bass Mechaniks speaker test CD to set the system up properly