Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Moley's WRX

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2008, 09:55 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Moley's WRX

Have owned the car since 2004 now, so thought it was time for a project write-up!!! You'll have to excuse the lack of pictures, they're on my old PC which my little brother broke whilst looking at ****

After having this for 4 years......

....i thought it was time to get something that went round corners, aswell as straight lines. The Astra was stupidly quick (300bhp turbo conversion with 6 speed gearbox), but needed driveshafts and cv joints replacing every month (seriously), and had wanted an Impreza for ages.

After selling the Astra i found this on Autotrader....

Popped down to Basingstoke, and bought the car there and then.

First impressions were that it felt lovely to drive, but was too slow. It took a few weeks to get used to driving a car that actually handled.

The first mods were fairly small, as the car was already lowered when i bough it, and had an exhaust, air filter, and STI spoiler fitted aswell. I was offered a set on 18"s fairly cheap, but needed a re-furb, so had them done in black. Also added a smaller numberplate. It stayed like this for quite a while....

Old 24 April 2008, 09:57 AM
Moley
Sponsor

I then had a bit of a result. A friend was rear-ended in his P1, and asked if i wanted any bits off it, so i bought the full front end, seats, and wheels.

I didn't fit them straight away, as i was off to do a 15 minute track session at Japfest @ Castle Combe, so thought i'd wait to make sure the car got home in one piece...which it did.
Loved being out on track, and fancied doing it again, but we'll come to that later

Here's the old girl out at Combe. (Did use the P1 wheels for the day, as i was planning on selling them on for a bit of a profit, so wanted a little bit of use out of them.)

Was another few weeks before the P1 bits went on, as a friend was spraying them for me, so had to wait untill he was free. Did a great job on them, so one Saturday my dad and me swapped the bits over. It made such a difference on the looks of the car, and i was very impressed. The seats were good aswell, although they weren't as hugging as the standard WRX seats.

The car only stayed that way for a couple of weeks untill the next mod was added....a FMIC. I knew i wanted to do more track days, so a better intercooler was definately needed.

Certainly wasn't a 5 minute job!!!.

The next mods were a christmas present from my fiancee, a set of crystal lights, which really finished off the front end nicely.

Old 24 April 2008, 09:59 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Mod-wise the car then stayed pretty much as it was for quite a while, as i was having a few probelms with it. Blew a gearbox at Santa Pod, and the replacement wasn't up to much either.

I did however theat myself to a set of STI rear light, and had the sideskirts re-sprayed, aswell as adding colour coded door handles.

The exhaust was also falling apart, so bought a Blitz Nur Spec R system, and a API de-cat downpipe. I also fitted a Z4 ECU, as they were all the craze at the time

The next mods were a set of Subaru 4 pot front brakes, and i also did the 2 pot rear conversion. (Both sets of brakes were bargains from people who i'd insured)
The braking was better than the 2 pots, but didn't notice a big difference untill i upgraded to Pagid pads.

I also came accross a set of 18" P1 wheels for sale on Scoobynet, so went to Essex to get them. The were gold originally, but needed a re-furb. Decided to go dark again, i think they're now painted in a Saab grey.

I still wanted to push the car and myslef a bit further, but had now got 7 points on my licence, so signed up for a driver training day thought the SIDC. Had a great day, and learnt alot about the handling of the car. Had such good fun i organised another day myself for Surrey Scooby members.

I was now fairly happy how the car looked, but thought the front end needed 'something'. So whilst flicking through Ebay i found a carbon fibre 'Hare' grille badge (same as on Andy Forrest's car), and ordered it from America. (Shipping cost more than the badge!!!). I also got some black mesh to fit infront of the intercooler.

Was very impressed with how it looked.

Old 24 April 2008, 10:01 AM
Moley
Sponsor

I'd been looking for some gauges for a while. Really wanted some Defi's, but was put off by the price.
However, a friend had a set fitted, and he pointed me in the right direction, and i grabbed myself a bargain.

Fitting them was a bit of a nightmare, as we had a small problem with a bit of wiring in the car, but all was sorted in a few hours.

Once fitted they looked great!!!

The next mod was something it'd wanted to do for a while, but was a massive risk.....a RA roof vent.

No local bodyshops were up for cutting a hole in my roof, but found a place in Essex that'd do it. Problem was i'd need to drive the car up there and leave it with them for the whole day, so kept putting it off. (Couldn't stay on-site whilst it was being done, and the bodyshop was in the middle of nowhere.

However.....a friend came to my rescue. He'd had the same done to his car, and recommend a place his friend worked in Aldershot.

Dropped the car off to them in the morning, and was ready by lunch. The drive down there to pick the car up was awful, as i knew if i didn't like it there was no going back. I didn't have to worry though. The job they'd done was awesome, a real factory finish.

The only thing i wasn't happy with were the foglights.
I know a lot of people like the P1 ones, but i wasn't sure. Thought the front end was a bit too 'bitty'

So managed to get hold of a set of original V5/6 fog cover, so had them sprayed, and added a set of dark grey STI stickers.

This has pretty much finished the front end off...for now
Old 24 April 2008, 10:05 AM
Moley
Sponsor

I'd been looking to upgrade the ECU for a while, and had decided to go the the ESL package.
Afer reading lots of good things about Jolly Green Monster both here and Scoobynet i contacted Simon to get the car booked in.
Faney fitted some 440cc injectors just before the ECU was booked to go in, and we were ready to go.
Unfortunately we had a problem with the ESL board, but Simon had an Apexi spare, so after a trip to the cashpoint i went for the Apexi instead.
The difference was amazing. The extra power was obviously good, but the best bit was how smooth the car drove.
We had a problem with the boost solenoid though, so Simon fitted a boost controller the next time he was down this way.
I'm getting the boost tweeked soon, as the car can't be mapped to its full potential yet, as the up-pipe is blowing, and i've also decided to go for some bigger injectors. (550's)

By now it was time for another track day, so booked up through the SIDC for a 'Triple club day' at Brands Hatch. (With the SIDC, MLR, and Skyline owners club.)

I knew the suspension needed firming up, as it was great on the road, but a wee bit too much roll on the previous driver training days. Managed to get a set of STI Type R shocks, and after looking at several options went for Tein S Tech springs. Also fitted a 22mm Whiteline ARB and droplinks, aswell as a Whiteline anti-lift kit. Got the parts fitted, then had the alignment done at Gatwick Subaru. We went for a setting more aggressive than the Prodrive settings, but less than a track set up.

The last bit to get sorted before the day was a brake pad upgrade. I'd been very happy with the Pagid's, but the Evo boys were raving about the Carbotech XP8's, so went for a set of those.

So then the car was ready to go....or so we though.
I thought i'd better get a small power steering leak fixed before the car went out on track. I won't bore you with all the details, but after 2 steering racks, new power steering pipes, and a LOT of swearing it was finally ready to go!!!

The track day was awesome, and was very impressed with how the car coped. (Although the exhaust was too loud for the track, so had to have the bung fitted, which reduced power by quite a bit)

The only bits i wasn't happy with was the suspension. For fast road it is great, can't fault it at all, but is is still a but soft for the track. So a set of coilovers are on the 'to do' list.

The brakes performed really well, and didn't fade once, despite having them smoking when we came back into the pits.
Old 24 April 2008, 10:57 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up!

Good to see the before/after pics and obvious progress being made...

Really like the dark wheels/silver paint package...

Not surprised you needed a bung on the Blitz... Had that on my last one and sounds awesome, but is really loud! I didn't even have a decat downpipe!

Anymore to come?

Ross
Old 24 April 2008, 11:06 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Good write up!

Good to see the before/after pics and obvious progress being made...

Really like the dark wheels/silver paint package...

Not surprised you needed a bung on the Blitz... Had that on my last one and sounds awesome, but is really loud! I didn't even have a decat downpipe!

Anymore to come?

Ross
I think the exhaust might have to go. Used the car last week for the first time in a while, and had forgotten how loud it is. Need something that'll ok on on tracks, as i don't want to use the bung, because the difference in power was more than i thought it'd be.

Will put some pic's of the latest mod in a couple of mins.....
Old 24 April 2008, 11:07 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Very nice post Moley, car looks a minter
Old 24 April 2008, 11:13 AM
Moley
Sponsor

I was happy with the brakes, but was still thinking i wanted a bit extra.
I'd been looking at the K Sport group buy, and was all set to order some.... then these turned up at a price i couldn't say no to....

To be honest i haven't used the car enough to see exactly how good they are, but so far i'm very impressed. (Black calipers would have been ideal, but was more than happy to have red ones for the price i paid )

Old 24 April 2008, 11:16 AM
Moley
Sponsor

And before anybody asks.... ALL MODS ARE DECLARED TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!!
Old 24 April 2008, 11:34 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work, cars lookn crisp & Great write up
Old 24 April 2008, 12:37 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Nice write up mate... about time though really...
Old 24 April 2008, 12:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scoobyslammed
Nice write up mate... about time though really...
Old 24 April 2008, 01:27 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

nice write up moley
do love the scoob
Old 24 April 2008, 02:58 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile nice clean car

exlnt gaz keep it up another 15-20 k u might slow down once it gets you its hard to stop mate .Motor looks lovely nice clean lines from the front hope to be on a track 1 day with you soon.
Old 24 April 2008, 03:19 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks fantastic Gary, you should definitely hang on to it for as long as you can
Old 24 April 2008, 03:55 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Love it! Very tasteful, and used properly to
Old 24 April 2008, 04:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Car looks very Gary.

Nice write up.

What make are those bells/discs? Don't look like the APs that I've seen.
Old 24 April 2008, 04:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Car looks very Gary.

Nice write up.

What make are those bells/discs? Don't look like the APs that I've seen.
They're the Godspeed ones.
Old 25 April 2008, 12:45 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautifully built and well thought out car fella.

A real credit to you, id be proud to have that on my drive
Old 26 April 2008, 07:53 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by frayz
Beautifully built and well thought out car fella.

A real credit to you, id be proud to have that on my drive
Cheers mate

After fitting the AP's i thought the car looked a bit odd with red front brakes and black rears, so got my paintbrush out!!!

Started off like this....

Rubbed them down with a bit of help from Mrs Moley, and put on 3 coats of caliper paint.

It's not going to win any show and shine awards, but it'll do

Just to finish it off i added some new Subaru decals, which make the calipers look a lot better, then back on with the wheels.

Old 26 April 2008, 08:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good write up Gary
Old 27 April 2008, 10:59 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

looks like a well modded classic should...JDM style tints in the back three windows would complete it though
Old 27 April 2008, 11:36 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile keep it up ...

Looks like he is not only great with insurance he a tad handy at modding whats's next gaz ??
Old 27 April 2008, 02:05 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark ward
Looks like he is not only great with insurance he a tad handy at modding whats's next gaz ??
Lol, cheers mate.

The next mods are actually what Trails mentioned, rear tints.

Will hopefully be having them done in the next few weeks.
Old 27 April 2008, 02:09 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
The next mods are actually what Trails mentioned, rear tints.

Pentagon Glass, not the cheapest but very top quality and they have an ESC discount
Old 27 April 2008, 02:32 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by trails

Pentagon Glass, not the cheapest but very top quality and they have an ESC discount
Excellent, will bear that in mind.

I'm also going to have a sun strip done, to match the rear tints.
Old 27 April 2008, 02:57 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Excellent, will bear that in mind.

I'm also going to have a sun strip done, to match the rear tints.
they do those as well, got to get one done for the wagon too

Old 27 April 2008, 07:49 PM
Jam Performance
Former Sponsor

Default roof flap

who fitted the roof flap and how much did it cost, it looks 100% cant even tell its not factory fitted !
Old 27 April 2008, 08:34 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

cool good reading

Quick Reply: Moley's WRX