Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Subaru Impreza, New age Exhaust onto Classic with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2008, 10:39 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subaru Impreza, New age Exhaust onto Classic with PICS

I have been running with a decat down pipe, and blitz nur spec r system on my classic impreza for around a year ish now.
and 10 months ago, my 1st baby girl was born, so i started to look for a system that was quiter as the blitz is the next best thing to a drain pipe in a way of a silencer!
I have all ways wanted a titanium system, but the cost has all ways put me off. I use to look on the net every few days for a new exhaust, and one day i noticed a decat centre section and back box in FULL titanium! It was in new condition and from a shop.

Result i hear you say, but there was a small problem in my plan, and that was the exhaust was for a new age impreza and not a classic. I found out as much info as i could on the interweb about what the differences are, and i felt that it was worth a go.
Over the last couple of weeks, I have been planning and putting into pratice on what i needed to do.
this is the new titanium exhaust, it weights just under 5kg!!! for the centre section and back box!

From what i found out, the centre section was a little short (around 5cm) and on the back box, the centre hanger was on the wrong side. I also wanted to change it to a full 3" system
ok lets get started, the exhaust hanger
this is how it looked new

after using this

it ended up like this

but *** me is this stuff hard to cut through, am very glad that i did not use a hack saw!!
Iam going to use a big exhaust clamp (mikalor) to go around the pipe, and from this go up to the standard mountion point with some ally bar or what evey i can find. but it is such a light exhaust i prob wont need it.
stage 2, the centre section.

this is the end that i need to cut off and make longer and into a 3" bore

the end result

i spoke to my dad vvvv nicely and he made this up for me, a 3" bore slip joint style to make the centre section the length that i needed and to make it 3" all the way through.

it is made out of brass, not the best meteral, but the only thing my dad had in his workshop at work that was the right size. it will milled down to make it lighter, and a flange weilded onto the end.

I got the decat down pipe heat wrapted today with some Thermal Logic XTREME wrap, it was 2" wide by 50 foot. i have a small bit left over, and used stainless steel thick wire to hold it all in place

the rest of the system went up well. the back box was over to the right a small bit, so used stainless steel cable ties to ease it over abit.
the end result

could do with a clean
the bumper needs a small bit cut out above the tail pipe, and then it is finished.
it gives a really nice deep subaru sound. and it quiter than my nur spec, all in all i am very happy how it has turned out and ended up with a light weight system, and that will keep the noise down the the boss
Old 13 January 2008, 09:32 AM
Scooby Regular

Excellent result!

Is it quieter now?
Old 13 January 2008, 09:43 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

it is quiter then my nur spec with the bung in, would like if it was a bit more, but could not find any info on the interweb bout this exhaust, so had to make a gamble. the back box is bigger, and it has a little silencer in the centre section, so it all helps
Old 13 January 2008, 12:03 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that looks really good!
could you tell me where you got the exhaust from, and roughly how much?

do you recon its louder or quieter than a ninja or afterburner style exhaust?
Old 13 January 2008, 05:18 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job!

just so happens I have a newage nur spec R off a newage for sale for much cheapness!

pm me for details & pics.

S!