Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Fitting STi8 Intercooler & STi7 Scoop to MY99 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2006, 07:48 PM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting STi8 Intercooler & STi7 Scoop to MY99 Classic

Just fitted an STi8 intercooler to my MY99 classic and though people might be interested in the details.
I know there are other threads on this but my solution is a bit different.
Also I have not seen one with STi7/8 scoop and inlet plate.

You can see how much bigger the STi8 ic is in the first pic, but boy is it a tight fit! (By the way that is a Classic dump valve fitted to the STi8 i/c, not STi8)

MOUNTING BRACKETS
For the offside bracket I replaced the original bracket with one off a MY94/5 (the angled i/c one) and welded on a piece of angle suitably butchered to fit. The MY95 one is a bit lower than the MY99 seemed quite a good fit.

For the nearside bracket I used the original but it need to be mounted higher and further forward. This was done using a flat plate (3mm ally) bolted to the 2 original mounting holes as well as a third hole which normally takes only an earth cable. The 3-hole mounting was found to be essential for rigidity as there is a lot of overhang to the i/c mounting. Plate was raised using about 10mm spacers (suitably sized nuts!). The outer bolt was also used to mount the fuel pressure reg.

CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER
Originally I cut the top off to clear the i/c underside, see 3rd picture above. If you try this note to cut off the BOTTOM or the top will not fit on. Need an awful lot off and does not hold much fluid so I have replaced it with a New Age one with offset reservoir (which sits outside the i/c in front of the brake servo). This was sourced from a breakers.

TURBO FEED PIPE
The standard turbo feed pipe is about 35mm further forward compared to the classic so the pipe needs extending where it joins the i/c pipe. I did this with 50mm straight hose and hose joiner. I believe other people have used the standard MY99 alloy feeds and silicone y-piece.

DUMP VALVE
Considered a few options but ended up fitting the STi8 valve which needs a bigger hose and pokes down under the front of the i/c. Used the original MY99 hose turned around flat and extended with a 90deg reducing bend (30mm - 35mm) and 1:1/8 inch hose joiner (45 deg bend might have been better). This then poked up under the front and fitted to the
Also had to carve a bit off the coil pack to clear the valve (see bright patch).

AND FINALLY………yes it fits and works!

BUT......... found one of the feed pipes knocked against the bulkhead so had to cut/grind some metal off the offside part of the engine support bracket mounting (see left hand side of triangular bracket cut away in pic).

AND NOW THE SCOOP

Well I couldn’t feed this through the standard tiny scoop could I?
So I fitted a replica STi7 scoop (from DR Motorsport) which is about 50% larger and I think suits the Classic better than the STi8 one.

Underneath it went an STi8 plate with rubber gasket, much modified to fit….. This was to ensure a good flow to the whole of the i/c as the aperture in the original plate would be too small and blank off part of the i/c.
STi8 plate has built-in airflow deflectors (one has to be cut off) and also includes a water spray (single nozzle in centre) which will come in handy (next job).
Top plate is STi8, next one is standard MY99 with polished splitter added.

Next pic shows underside of bonnet with STi8 plate and rubber gasket fitted. Note water spray nozzle and feed. Took a lot of fiddling to get the gasket to mate exactly with the i/c.

Final pic is STi8 plate fitted with scoop removed showing air splitter.

PERFORMANCE
Previously, if I booted it hard from 45 to 90 in third the inlet air temp rose by some 15 - 20 deg C. Now it barely rises 5-8 deg C and quickly reduces.
HOWEVER........ heat soak is still a problem, need to move quite a distance to get temp down after idling or crawling for a while. Water spray will help here. (NO, will not be fitting a front mount - not for a while anyway!)

Result.
Old 01 August 2006, 10:22 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one.
Takes me back a few months...
Neat installation!
Graham
Old 11 August 2006, 08:16 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Superb, many thanks for posting it up. That's got me thinking.
Old 13 August 2006, 09:08 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Neat install.
I had to adjust the bulkhead support bracket too. I used a big hammer and a bit of wood.
Old 14 August 2006, 10:13 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Just another thing I've been wondering about. With this setup, the IC is clearly overhanging the turbo and downpipe quite significantly. Presumably you get worse heatsoak in slow or standstill traffic? Has anyone tried heatshielding the underside of the IC above the turbo?
Old 14 August 2006, 12:37 PM
Scooby Regular

Remember you want the air to flow down through the TMIC when at speed. Shielding to stop (very) hot air rising when stationary/slow speeds will hinder the 'at speed' airflow.

2 way possible to get around this:
Fit fans to the topside of the TMIC under the scoop
Fit a FMIC(!)
Don't worry about it.

I did (3) first, then (2) when I realised you cannot ignore heat soak.

Graham
Old 15 August 2006, 02:59 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

LOL I think I'll go with option 3 first! Maybe if I wrap the downpipe instead of shielding the TMIC's underside, that might be a better idea.