Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Project Evo!

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2003, 10:52 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if you guys are interested but I currently have an Evo that in its state of becoming a bit of a beast

If there is any call from a 'relatively' step by step of whats happened so far & whats going to be happening over the next 3 months to completion I shall add below - let me know

Chris
Old 01 May 2003, 11:32 PM
S,M,G
Scooby Regular

Old 01 May 2003, 11:37 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, please chris.

Steve, you know anything about this? I though you only worked on good engines

Paul
Old 01 May 2003, 11:43 PM
S,M,G
Scooby Regular

Unfortunatly i work on all sorts of crap, i meen high quality automotive perfection....
Old 02 May 2003, 10:15 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Chris, YES YES, show pictures

The Yellow Norris Baiter

Steven
Old 02 May 2003, 11:12 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C,

I think you will give Norris a closer run for his money than everyone (else) thinks.

Paul
Old 02 May 2003, 12:40 PM
C
Scooby Regular

seems like there is some interest in what us others in the 'Dark Side' are doing

I think Steve/SMG has something to do with this

Paul - he does only work on good engines, occasionally he has to work on the 'inferior' Subaru ones as well

lmao - well I'm not sure if it will be that close to Norris, but it would be nice to scare him a little

I know RC developments are building a car for this Event, which should be quite quick as well but we shall see

Right this is the state of play at the moment....

Originally I approached Simon Norris to help with the project, but due to the extortionate amounts of money he wanted, I decided to go elsewhere. Previously I had contacts from owning a P1 before, and enquired as to whether they would like to get involved again.

which bring me here...

Back in January I sourced a spare engine (previosly damaged due to an overboost moment), one of the liners was damaged due to a shoulder breaking off the piston. This I was told at the time would be an ideal basis to build my new engine around. The engine was then shipped off to the "above posted" for preliminary stripping.

We all had a sit round the table session & decided what we would like to achieve, as usual I started off sensible, but it's power levels have kept increasing ever since . If a certain someone wasnt trying to restain me I think i would be going for the 1st 1000bhp evo lmao!!!

It was decided that yes, a stroker kit would be used to achieve a bigger displacement, as we dont have the option of a 2.5 block to start with . Rather than using extortionatly priced JUN off the shelf parts, we have decided to go along the route of having one custom made. (crank, rods & pistons), which ti my knowledge is now almost complete.

I left the 2 mad scientists to do the maths while I wombled off to sort other bits for the preperation of the car.

Back to the engine bit after this....

It was decided that the standard GSR diffs may as well be made out of chocolate so in some way shape or form I had to lose them. I looked at Kaaz diffs (stupid money & no torque guarantees), Cusco - well we all saw what Norris did to them last year At this stage I felt like I was hitting a brick wall as no-one seemed to be able to help.

It was around this time I heard rumours of a new ND Evo7 based on an RS version. So all was put on hold untill I heard what he was using this time... To my amazement he uses a STANDARD RS rear diff (the weak link as the others are ok). My decision was made immediately, but I would plate it to increase the strength a little.

Next issue was the gearbox, rumour has it the standard box is bullet proof & can handle 500ft/lbs being put through it all day long. For safety I have taken the course of having mine shot peened & super finished, minimal cost for a little extra strength.

Next issue was the gearing, the car will currently "max out" at 170mph at the rev limiter in 5th. As the standard box is so good anyway I really didnt want to have to change the ratios. Out on the hunt, thankfully Simon Norris makes a longer crown wheel & pinion which alters the output ratio of the box. With my increased rev limit on the car its theoretically geared for 200mph on the nose IIRC.

Suspension was looked at next - the standard kit just isnt good enough, so I then went on the hunt for a coilover kit. After nearly falling over at the cost of Cusco & Ohlins kits, I decided I would try & get lucky with a set of second hand coilovers. Lo & behold on the MLR this week, I struck lucky & found a guy selling a set of cusco coilovers with HKS pillow ball mounts. Cost? negotiated to £250 in the end as 2 of the shocks are knackered. Through previous contacts I have met someone who will conpletely overhall them back to "as new" spec customised for my car for £500. I go to pick them up on Saturday & drop them with Gary of GT-ART (skyline tuners) for the treatment. Problem solved for £750. They are over £2500 brand new for an Evo off the shelf!

Next step was the brakes, although we dont have the lovely 2 pots you guys had to put up with, the Brembo 4 pots although good I feel would struggle. Out on the "contacts trail" I have managed to source a set of AP Racing 8 pot water cooled calipers with 385mm? could be 380mm disks for a "it would be rude not price" . Again problem solved!

Wheels then became an issue to fit the brakes behind, again the contacts book came out & I have sourced a set of 18" Speedline Tourinis to fit the brakes behind.

So that brings me pretty much up to date, as I type the car is currently residing in Wales. The brakes are being fitted, the box is out of the car, & the gearset are in Newbury being shotpeened, the Diffs etc are being fitted.

As I still have the standard (well 340bhp engine) in the car I can still use it so I wont have forgotten how to drive it when it finally finished.

Visually as those of you who know me will state im a bit of a tart, I have lost the big heavy electric mirrors, & relaced with some tiny little carbon fibre ones, the heavy steel spoiler blade has been replaced with a carbon fibre one as well.

Im waitng on a carbon fibre bonnet & the car is booked into a mates bodyshop to have a Tommy Makkinen Edition front end (no fogs so more space for the intercooler - plus it looks better ) fitted & sprayed.

I shall start a fresh post below for the engine bits update - I need to actually do some work now & my hands hurt from all this typing

Chris
Old 02 May 2003, 12:54 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Pub calls - more updates in a bit
Old 02 May 2003, 02:14 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Right where were we

First of all breifly going back over the diff side of things, as I will be running with an RS set up that means no more AYC, so I can ditch all the gubbins that went with it, ecu, (obviously diff which weighed a tonne), AYC pump etc. Nice weight saving there.

Someones bound to say - why didnt you just buy an RS in the first place? - yes it would have been cheaper, but, 1 they are white , 2 I love my toys, eg central locking, leccy windows, digital climate control, sunroof etc & I love yellow Evos

So, Im still toying with the idea of trying some weightsaving - i am at least going to lose the drivers airbag (3.4kgs) & probably the passenger one (shhh dont tell them that). Thinking about losing the heavy Recaco's from inside & putting in a couple of one piece seats - I need to find out how much the standard ones weigh & what sort of weight (I have seen some around 5kgs for the seat alone) some replacement ones would be.

Anyway back to engine bits

I have pretty much been letting the guys get on with it, all I seem to do is hand money over & harass them as to whether its going to be done in time

I finally got to see the turbo (a rather large Garrett GT series one) last week - then there was the wastegate on top of that my concern was how the hell is that going to fit . There are a few other bits that need to be sorted, LOTS of custom pipework including a manifold, but thats more to worry about when the rest is done.

Injectors is an issue with these cars - I threw the idea around of doing an 8 injector conversion, but AFAIK it meant things like a custom plenium etc, and apparently when with the four 1000cc injectors in going for instead you can get an 14.1 afr ratio (apparently good) on idle it appears there is no point/need. When it came to getting a price for these - again another falling over moment was quoted £165 PLUS VAT each finally managed to get this down to £111 plus VAT now. An order will probably be placed on saturday for them.

After this - the next issue has become the intercooler. The HKS kit which you all know works very well on scoobs is virtually no better than standard, so it kind of limits the options. I know the ND car uses a GReddy kit - but this is NOT an off the shelf product as it has been modified by JUN from what I was told

There are calls in with various people of which i am awaiting resposes for, and someone else is working on another possible solution.

I thought perhaps using a Skyline specific I/C?. Length & height wise they are only 10cm ish bigger than an uprated Evo I/C which by my calculations should *just* fit, but the issue is the depth. the core on the HKS Evo FMIC is 37mm, on the Skyline example its 137mm . My front bumper wont have anything left.

Anyway - I should know 'roughly' what route we are going to take by next weekend on that front

I have a Pectel T6 on order with Wideband Lambda sensor to control everything, which means custom wiring loom, again enlisting the help of someone else to rig this up hopefully that should manage ok when controlling things

There are lots of "little" things I have missed out - gonna go dig out some pictures for you guys now, I shall keep adding as I keep remembering

Chris
Old 02 May 2003, 02:23 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Right - whats the power going to be I hear you say?

lol well in all honesty we cant really tell!!

Some of you have your ideas no doubt

Anyway heres a piccy of it down in Wales - minus its gearbox

Just had a call from the shotpeeners - the pack turned up today & will be back in wales by next friday

Under shot of the car - its quite clean surprisingly

[Edited by C - 5/2/2003 2:26:11 PM]
Old 03 May 2003, 09:50 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Its sounding mint mate
Old 03 May 2003, 09:57 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Looking good
Old 03 May 2003, 05:46 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

He,he :giggle:
Old 03 May 2003, 09:23 PM
ODD KID'S MATE
Scooby Newbie

SMG better watch out what he's calling crap
Old 04 May 2003, 08:52 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Bl00dy hell C taken you long enough (shratches head and thinks is this the same guy that bought pocs car ) As i am sure i recognise that car
Old 04 May 2003, 10:44 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Gossy

Latest update:

Going tomorrow to look @ my new Cusco suspension then it goes off for a couple of weeks to be refurb'd

Old 04 May 2003, 02:12 PM
S,M,G
Scooby Regular

Oh! odd kid, shut it!!!
Old 04 May 2003, 03:30 PM
Mr J
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris I hope I didn't transfer that much money when I paid for the link ecu from you

Looking nice , let's have some pics of the engine to

Cheers
Jan
Old 04 May 2003, 04:02 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Jan

Unfortunately not

Engine pic's - well I might have to get them off my engine man

Old 04 May 2003, 05:27 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

C, it would be good if at the end of the project you could work out how much you saved on money, doing this route instead of going the norris route. Or if infact, you spent more!
Old 04 May 2003, 06:05 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Christian

I know for a fact its less than Norris by miles

But then he imho is VERY overpriced for most of his bits, but others seem to be cheap - strange.

e.g. a JUN stroker kits for one of these things is nearly £5k alone

Again HKS turbo kits are silly money!!!

So going a different route yes it will be cheaper, but bear in mind mine wont be as powerfull as his

Chris

Old 04 May 2003, 06:51 PM
ODD KID'S MATE
Scooby Newbie

C I am following the same route as you with a few little extra's the only stumbling block seems to be the diff's and clutch so many people have veiws not aways helpful, will be getting a carbon plug cover made from an F1 friend of mine if you want one let me or ODD KID know also I will copy my inlet manifold plate then you can use that for yours.
Will be very keen to meet to pick your brains,lots to learn and so little time, these cars are no where near as simple as a Nova LOL
Old 04 May 2003, 07:27 PM
C
Scooby Regular

ODD KIDS MATE - is Steve helping build yours too?

Clutch I have found to be an issue, Ralliart/Co-ordsport dont make anything rated high enough, AP do nothing, Cusco do one but its £1600 PLUS VAT

The Norris one is £1250 for everything including a flywheel so it looks like I will end up going for that - gonna try for a deal off him as well

Carbon Plug - im being supid whats that????

Chris
Old 04 May 2003, 07:30 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Diffs I have resolved (hopefully)

Going for a full RS Set up as if they can survive the way Norris treats his im sure it will survive the way I treat mine

Plus once its in - it relatively "cheap" to replace when it does go. AFAIK the RS diffs are stronger than the cusco, Kaaz & anything else on the market at the mo.

I even thought about workin a way of fitting a Ford 9" diff in lol as apparently they are nigh on indestructable

But cost then became an issue.
Old 04 May 2003, 10:20 PM
ODD KID'S MATE
Scooby Newbie

The plug cover sits on the rocker cover,Steve (odd kid)is the engine building GOD
Where do you get an RS diff from? have you got a 6 rear bumper?
Old 04 May 2003, 10:46 PM
C
Scooby Regular

I got an RS diff out of a written off 6 RS

I have a company called PROMAX in wales to do the work, unfortunately its not a case of swapping them over, bits need to be welded to the chassis & a few modifications via a hammer

Mail me on chris.archer@vodafone.net if you like I can send you my mobile number

Would be interesting to hear what you are doing to yours
Old 05 May 2003, 01:48 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
can i join in since god is building my engine...

Steve.. dont listen to mark.. I want 3Bar, 10,000Rpm and lumpy cams..

and some photos.. come on.. im getting desperate to see where the money is going

oh and I want to fit it next week

Keep up the good work...

David
Old 06 May 2003, 05:01 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I could show you photos of where the money is going, but I would have to kill you.

Can certainly vouch for the quality of steves work.

Chris, what displacement and stroke do you end up with?

Old 06 May 2003, 05:05 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Wink

What youve seen my engine adam??? You mean it exists??

David
Old 06 May 2003, 10:00 PM
ODD KID'S MATE
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I've seen some of it also, the best way to get the stuff done is to offer sexual favours, works wonders

Quick Reply: Project Evo!