Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Forged ej16 capable 350-380hp?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2015, 01:37 AM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged ej16 capable 350-380hp?

Hi guys. I have found forged kit for my engine which is ej16. The kit is forged rod and forged piston 8.5 comp. the oem crank is forged. Engine will rebuilt from scratch with new crank. Here's the complete mods pls tell me if its possible to reach 380hp with these mods or its not possible.

Forged rod and piston.
Steel valves with dual spring
Regrind camshaft
Acl bearing
Sti oil pump
Sti water pump
550 injectors
Aeromotive fuel pump
Td05 20 turbo
Greddy EMU
90s Sti 5 speed gearbox
Wrx rear diff and shaft.

Now can I reach 350-380 with the above mods? Or not?

Pls dont tell me swap or buy sti

Thanks
Old 12 June 2015, 08:17 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything is possible, your injectors and turbo will
Certainly flow the HP, but you will need either need more boost or more revs to make the same power as a 2.0.
Why the 1.6? Class restriction?
Old 12 June 2015, 11:47 AM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by boosted
Anything is possible, your injectors and turbo will
Certainly flow the HP, but you will need either need more boost or more revs to make the same power as a 2.0.
Why the 1.6? Class restriction?
I will face pro when I renew the car insurance if I change the engine. But also i want to see this engine make nice power.
I think with forged internals and lower comp with head stud it can handle 15psi at least. What you think?
Old 12 June 2015, 12:26 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Imprezagl
I will face pro when I renew the car insurance if I change the engine. But also i want to see this engine make nice power.
I think with forged internals and lower comp with head stud it can handle 15psi at least. What you think?
I think the standard engine will
Handle 15 psi with a good tune. Probably make almost double factory Hp, what is factory Hp?
Your clutch and gearbox are another story.
I would just use the 2.0 block, no one will know the difference
Old 12 June 2015, 12:46 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

I think the standard engine will
Handle 15 psi with a good tune. Probably make almost double factory Hp, what is factory Hp?
Your clutch and gearbox are another story.
I would just use the 2.0 block, no one will know the difference
The factory hp is 95hp 10.1 comp. the gear will be from 90s sti with its clutch and pedals. Or maybe 02 wrx gearbox. I think any ej gear will fit any ej engine subaru same the Lego. Sounds like its possible project? Or false
Old 12 June 2015, 02:03 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Imprezagl
The factory hp is 95hp 10.1 comp. the gear will be from 90s sti with its clutch and pedals. Or maybe 02 wrx gearbox. I think any ej gear will fit any ej engine subaru same the Lego. Sounds like its possible project? Or false
It will be much cheaper and give better results with a proven 2.0 or even 2.5 setup.
It's likely the rods, pistons and camshafts will have to be custom made as they are not off the shelf items. Where 2.0 parts are common everywhere.
If your after a cheap easy project just turbocharge your std 1.6, a good tune and it will make 150bhp all day long. 10-12psi, good intetcooler and maybe some water methanol injection.
Otherwise just change the engine to a wrx (£500)
Old 12 June 2015, 04:04 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

It will be much cheaper and give better results with a proven 2.0 or even 2.5 setup.
It's likely the rods, pistons and camshafts will have to be custom made as they are not off the shelf items. Where 2.0 parts are common everywhere.
If your after a cheap easy project just turbocharge your std 1.6, a good tune and it will make 150bhp all day long. 10-12psi, good intetcooler and maybe some water methanol injection.
Otherwise just change the engine to a wrx (£500)
I think if I ask this question even in another planet they will say just do swap haha damn. I know swap is much cheaper but no one can do the wiring job correctly and I dont want swap. I have found pauter rods and JE piston kit. The oem crank is forged. If I turbo this engine I will do all the work. Now the main Q if built this engine from scratch with forged internal ist possible to hold high boost to reach 380hp as max hp?
Old 12 June 2015, 04:22 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

You will need 2 bar+ boost, is the block closed deck?
You will also need 8000rpm.
I can't see the problem with the wiring, if it's going standalone it doesn't matter what engine you run.
All EJ cranks are forged.
Use a 2.0 NA shortblock from a GX/sport and put in wrx/sti pistons. Then on with some wrx heads, that will do your 380hp target.
Old 12 June 2015, 04:33 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

You will need 2 bar+ boost, is the block closed deck?
You will also need 8000rpm.
I can't see the problem with the wiring, if it's going standalone it doesn't matter what engine you run.
All EJ cranks are forged.
Use a 2.0 NA shortblock from a GX/sport and put in wrx/sti pistons. Then on with some wrx heads, that will do your 380hp target.
Yes it's close deck block. The tuner told me i cant go dohc unless do full harness job which he afraid to do it. 2.0 gx engine is sohc and have same stroke and bore of the wrx ej20. Can I put the ej20 sohc into my car along with my intake manifold and all wiring?
Old 12 June 2015, 06:29 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Don't be offended, but surley the tuner would recomened a bigger, proven engine over a small unproven engine.
Is there a reason the rest of the planet use either a 2.0, 2.33 or 2.5 engine? Maybe everyone else has been doing it wrong all these years? Not sure.
Turbo your 1.6, do a project thread and tell everyone about it.
I await the start.
Thanks

Last edited by boosted; 12 June 2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12 June 2015, 07:08 PM
Imprezagl
Scooby Newbie

Don't be offended, but surley the tuner would recomened a bigger, proven engine over a small unproven engine.
Is there a reason the rest of the planet use either a 2.0, 2.33 or 2.5 engine? Maybe everyone else has been doing it wrong all these years? Not sure.
Turbo your 1.6, do a project thread and tell everyone about it.
I await the start.
Thanks
I know the ej20 and 25 proven all over the world but there's no garage here can do subaru swap correctly here are honda genius. Can you tell me if its possible to fit ej20 sohc into my car along with my car harness and intake manifold?