Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Advice Needed on a WRX STi Racing Project

Old 01 June 2014, 05:44 PM
BritishTutorKSA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed on a WRX STi Racing Project

Hi, I am looking for some genuine advice on this great forum full of experience on a WRX STi Racing Car Project! I will be hoping to return to the UK after some years teaching out abroad. I have currently a 1996 WRX STi with a 1999 Engine, 2.0L but many parts seem to be changed to a 1999 anyway. I enjoy the car and now have stopped racing after reading abit on sport compact cars. I have learnt why in KSA you can't hardly find a decent used car. Some reasons are the lack of making enough decent roads, just doesn't make sense for a rich country to have most of its roads of poor quality. Another reason is that many don't service and maintain their cars well. Also, there are many speed bumps, some are crazy, and they usually have no warning signs or even paint on the bumps themselves! But perhaps the greatest reason is that they destroy cars. You see, in the UK, 99% of drivers on highways drive a constant speed of about 120 to 140KPH. Whereas in KSA, 90% drive a constant speed of about 180 to 200KPH! Add to that is that they travel alot due the vast area of KSA. They usually travel on weekends from their city of work to back home about 300KM, then of course return. They sometimes travel about 1000KMs on vacations. Also, many of them drift in their cars, some of them at high speeds. By the way, they do all this with normal cars, not sports ones! They are spoilt as their fathers will get them another one usually! Now in the UK if a few do go at speeds of 200KPH on the Motorway, then they don't hold it for an hour or so like here but just do it for a minute or two as a test or challenge. So, all in all, I have realised that cars and especially sports cars need preparation for being raced and for drifting or else they get destroyed. So, I would like some advice on preparing a race car, for track racing. I will probably get a WRX STi as I enjoy driving it here. I prefer the older shape though, the 1st generation, expecially the 1999. This car I intend for only race tracks in the UK when back home, only race tracks. And maybe I might be able to get a similar one without being prepared for race tracks, such as a 1999 wagon as a commuting car. But that will be another thread perhaps.
So, what changes would it need? Brake pads? Brake Discs? Shocks? Suspension? Tires? Wheels? Would these need the right combinations for good performance? Could extra bhp be added? How much could be added without destroying the Engine? For how much? Would the amount of bhp change the types of modifications such as brakes and so on I asked about? How much would it cost roughly? How long does it all take? Is it easy to get all done? How often would these modifications need replacing when racing? For track racing, is it wise to first get some decent training? I mean are there any courses? And if so, do you know of any good ones? Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by BritishTutorKSA; 01 June 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02 June 2014, 05:39 PM
BritishTutorKSA
Scooby Newbie

I need to be more specific to get better advice. I will be using this car on Race Tracks, not for Rallys! Rallys maybe later, which needs different mods. But now just to go on tarmac tracks.
Old 02 June 2014, 06:05 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome, in summary, how long is a piece of string.

Best advice I can give is, let us know which area you'll be living in and then we can recommend some proven tuners in your area. Also get yourself over to 22b.com start reading and ask one question at a time.
Old 03 June 2014, 06:35 PM
BritishTutorKSA
Scooby Newbie

Thank you for that advice, simple but concise. Well, when I get down to this back home then I will let you in on everything. Thanks mate! And will read up on that useful website.