Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My First Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2014, 03:49 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Subaru

I wasn't going to start a project, but after my first day of ownership it looks like it's going to be rather eventful! First a picture of what she currently looks like!

Paid for the car on Monday, and I went back yesterday to collect her. I knew she needed a new battery so I picked a Halfords unit up on the way. First problems have already reared there ugly head! The negative terminal has a broken bolt, so I cannot tighten or loosen it on the battery, there is nothing to hold the battery in place, and because of the front mount, the intercooler piping touches the battery. Awesome start!

Now I've never driven a four wheel drive car before, and my previous car had a clutch on the way out so I wasn't great driving it to begin with, I was bouncing up the road and all sorts! Stopped at a petrol station to see smoke pouring out of the engine bay! So this happened...

Followed closely by this...

Turns out there where no washers on the oil line banjo bolts, causing it to leak, hit the exhaust and cook it! The amazing AA man named Jakob managed to fit some spare washers we found in the car and fix the problem, however due to the amount of oil caught in the heat shield he decided it was best for me to be recovered. I had got to the car 40 miles from my house at 12:30, got home at 7:45, awesome!

So I've just got home from work, and my job for the evening is to remove the down pipe and clean up all the oil. I'll leave it off as I need to fit a cat to the car so I can get it through the MOT next week.

The other things that need sorting prior to MOT is 1 tyre is a different size, the horn doesn't currently work, the airbag light is on, and the dials have a mind of there own!

Other then that I'm happy with the car, she will keep me occupied which is the main thing. Hopefully another update over the weekend if I can get enough done!

Old 08 May 2014, 07:19 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

So this evening I've discovered the cause of my boost leak, one of the intercooler lines isn't tight! For some reason I didn't tighten it, but at least I know it's there!

I've started to remove the boost gauge, as I hate the fact it was screwed into the A pillar, looked crack aswell tbh!

I took the steering wheel off, only to discover that it wasn't even on tight! I expected to find the airbag wire not connected, but how wrong I was! There is no connector, just 2 wires on the back of the airbag. And the small black connector I presume what it connects to is broken!

So that's a world of fun tbh! I'm considering getting a set of the dials that don't have the airbag light in, as I'm going to get one of the Nardi steering wheels. I am also going to have to completely require the horn, as it just doesn't work, probably due to the connector, but I don't mind too much.

The other thing I did was remove the rear number plate holder, it's lovely and chrome! Yum! It also turns out the previous owner put a mountain of Selotape over the holes, so I've got to tear all that off aswell!

But that's it for today, hopefully my cat will be here tomorrow so I'll crack on with that
Old 08 May 2014, 08:03 PM
cheshire-rep
Scooby Newbie

All good fun when we have bought the car and knowingly the previous owners are wiping there for heads in relief they have got rid lol I'm in same boat pal finding all these silly little things the previous owner "knew nothing about"
Old 09 May 2014, 07:59 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Atleast your getting there mate!
Old 09 May 2014, 08:41 AM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

car looks good mate

Shame you are having so many problems so early on but guess that is just second hand car buying! very rare to find a second hand car with no issues
Old 10 May 2014, 01:33 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cheshire-rep
All good fun when we have bought the car and knowingly the previous owners are wiping there for heads in relief they have got rid lol I'm in same boat pal finding all these silly little things the previous owner "knew nothing about"
This is it. Never mind, burned all the excess oil off today anyway

Originally Posted by adz556
Atleast your getting there mate!
Yeah, will be a long process but I'm looking forward to it

Originally Posted by robj2502
car looks good mate

Shame you are having so many problems so early on but guess that is just second hand car buying! very rare to find a second hand car with no issues
Cheers dude! Yeah, I suppose I got a rather good deal on her anyway, so its not all bad.

Took her for a MOT today and failed, but not as bad as I was expecting! Failed on the airbag light (issue as above), battery insecure, horns not working (going to completely rewire them), 4 differnt bulbs, one headlight not secure, headlight aim all over the show, emissions, CV gaiter and a tyre.

I was expecting worse, and its all cheap
Old 10 May 2014, 01:51 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I hope you got it at a good price for the amount of problems that seem to be cropping up,It does look nice though,just keep at it and it should be a Gem once you put some Good time into it,Enjoy.SJ.

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2014, 03:37 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Best colour.
Old 10 May 2014, 04:41 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I hope you got it at a good price for the amount of problems that seem to be cropping up,It does look nice though,just keep at it and it should be a Gem once you put some Good time into it,Enjoy.SJ.
Haha thanks I paid £750 which I think is a steal considering! I'm hoping to be able to put a lot of time into her, getting her to the standard that I want

Originally Posted by cookstar
Best colour.
Agreed!
Old 10 May 2014, 04:58 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by choness2004
Haha thanks I paid £750 which I think is a steal considering! I'm hoping to be able to put a lot of time into her, getting her to the standard that I want
How many turbo, 4x4 cars with over 200+bhp can you get for £750??? Some people pay that for a set of brakes!!!! Just enjoy the car mate, and try not to get hung up on bhp numbers like most of us do on here, as your £750 scoob will end up be a £20k scoob!!
Old 10 May 2014, 08:54 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

My (green) uk classic cos me £500!!

I have spent several £k on it though
Old 11 May 2014, 07:00 AM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
How many turbo, 4x4 cars with over 200+bhp can you get for £750??? Some people pay that for a set of brakes!!!! Just enjoy the car mate, and try not to get hung up on bhp numbers like most of us do on here, as your £750 scoob will end up be a £20k scoob!!
This is is! I have been looking, at 300bhp would be nice but I need so much sorted before that. For starters the current map on the car is awful! It causing the car to hunt which is never a good thing.

My (green) uk classic cos me £500!!

I have spent several £k on it though
Haha I expect I'll be in the same boat soon, I'm well on my way to spending more on the car then what I paid for it.
Old 11 May 2014, 07:41 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

That's a Very good price,I'm looking forward To reading about your progress,and what future plans you have for it.SJ.
Old 11 May 2014, 03:08 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Default T

Originally Posted by choness2004
This is is! I have been looking, at 300bhp would be nice but I need so much sorted before that. For starters the current map on the car is awful! It causing the car to hunt which is never a good thing.

Haha I expect I'll be in the same boat soon, I'm well on my way to spending more on the car then what I paid for it.
It was a bit tricky explaining why I needed a £1500 gearbox for a £500 car.
Old 12 May 2014, 05:21 AM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
That's a Very good price,I'm looking forward To reading about your progress,and what future plans you have for it.SJ.
Thanks hopefully once she is through the MOT I will make some good progress

It was a bit tricky explaining why I needed a £1500 gearbox for a £500 car.
Haha I couldn't guess why
Old 12 May 2014, 06:50 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Keep at it mate don't let the negatives wear you down!

Look forward to the updates
Old 12 May 2014, 07:58 PM
CREEKY01
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to watching your progress fella.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:17 AM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Cheers gents

Hopefully I'll have some progress soon. I'm off work with a stiff neck so I can't even get out there :/
Old 13 May 2014, 06:15 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

great stuff, nice to see another mica green example being saved
Old 15 May 2014, 01:09 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Thank you Sir, I do love the colour!

Bit of an update. I've had a really bad neck this last week and I've been off of work so not touched the Scoobaru. A few friends came round for an hour before they started work to do some MOT bits for me while I watched and took photos!

So I needed to change the number plate bulbs, which as we all no rust to hell and make nothing easy! So after removing the tail lights (pig of a job) and the rear bumper, we set about drilling the old screws out.

We failed miserably and ended up doing a proper bodge job on it, but it will get me through my MOT until I can order replacements if anyone knows where to get some from?

I'll let the pictures do the talking really, it looks awful, is awful and I cannot wait to get replacement brackets and holders!

Taa daa! That's it really, just used bolts that where in my garage for the time being, but they are sturdy and do the job. I'll finish off with a picture of my ****, because you know, full of win!

Old 18 May 2014, 02:55 PM
choness2004
Scooby Regular

Good news everyone! Sorted almost everything for my MOT!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but all i need is tyres, CV boot, headlight adjustment and tracking and she will pass. Hopefully ill have her back on Tuesday for the fun to begin!