Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

UK Turbo 2000 in BE

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2014, 09:46 PM
daddyd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Turbo 2000 in BE

Been on scoobynet for about a year now, i guess it is only fair to present my scooby to all of you. Subaru's are already something special in Belgium, they don't sell many cars and it is a rather unknown brand for most people.

I got hold of a UK Turbo 2000 (MY00), because the prices of the Belgian ones are just way to high (5800 pounds on average). I don't care about the steering wheel being on the right side, as it is not a daily drive anyway.

It looked like this;

A fairly standard GC8, it did already include a turbo timer, an open 3" exhaust and a turbosmart bov. The rims look rather OK in the pictures, but they were really not in that great condition.
Rust free, although there are some scratches on the bumper and a dent on one of the front arches. The seats and door handles had seen better days, but nothing to bad. Airco didn't work, i removed that whole unit last year.

Had a lot of fun with the car, subaru trackday in francorchamps;

Bitburg 'trackday' (that is loads of fun);

In the meantime i started modding, and once it bites, it doesn't let go.
As you can see from the 'bitburg' pictures, i put on other rims, Rota lightweight SDR 17" in gunmetal, really like this rim.

Turbo has been changed, i got hold of a hardly used PE1820 (based on a 20g) and PE SH550 injectors for a cheap price.

and a HDI fmic, apexi air intake, apexi avcr and an oil cooler;

I put the oil cooler (mocal) in the side of the bumber;

Add one ECUtec tune and i reached 280 bhp on a standard Turbo 2000 ej20 block. Must admit that the turbo added a lot of lag, kicking in at 4500 rpm.

Time to address the suspension, add a ARB from eibach (rear+front);

and some stiffness, thanks to HSD monopro's;

The turbo lag was eating me to much though, so first i started looking at getting a 2.1 build, but i got convinced to go for a forged 2.5 instead.

Through scoobynet i got hold of a Subaru4You forged 2.5 with STI v5/6 heads, a new gearbox was ordered at the same time. A 2005 blobeye STI DCCD 6 speed from API (lovely people!).

To get the turbo spooling as fast as possible i also bought a lateral performance unequal exhaust header;

lest not forget a turbo blanket from Viper performance,

Since i would be putting out a lot more power then the default brakes of a Turbo 2000 were made to handle, i had to upgrade them as well. I got a excellent deal here on scoobynet; never used K-sport 8 pots,

Took some work to get them fitted, but after some mailing with the K-sport people everything was figured out.

An oil catch can for a forged 2.5 is not a bad idea, therefor i bought an RCM kit.

Looking to get 400 bhp out of it, didn't have my mapping yet, and will go for a syvecs (i already bought a Toucan to go with it).

Can't wait for a map, i'm coming to the UK to get one
Old 13 April 2014, 10:00 PM
type-ellis
Scooby Regular

Great start mate, looks like its going to be a well spec car once you have finished with it.
Old 03 May 2014, 01:04 PM
daddyd
Scooby Regular

Yesterday i was in the UK and i got a visit from Simon/JGM, he really goes beyond and did a great job on the car. I was really impressed!

syvecs got installed and mapping (including wideband lambda, air intake temp sensor and 3 port boost sol.

According to Simon the figures are between 370-380 bhp and similar lbft, safely mapped for extreme track use