Notices
Other Marques This forum contains only cars offered for sale by our members.

2004 BMW 530i SE Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2014, 01:55 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default 2004 BMW 530i SE Automatic

For sale my black 2004 BMW 530i SE, automatic.

Currently on 111500 miles, but will keep increasing slowly as it's a daily driver. MOT to 6th of September 2015.

Located in Petts Wood, Kent (inside M25).

Update: Oil leak fixed (oil filter housing gasket), two brand new tyres up front (same as rear, pirelli p7), full service just done (by garage)

Part ex: Subaru wagon (new age), or saab turbo estate (manual).

Unfortunately photobucket seems messed up at the moment, so can't upload the interior shot of the front seats. Looks like any other BMW e60, though.

EXTERIOR

Bodywork is not immaculate, but it's not too bad for what is in effect a 10 year old car with 111k miles on it. I've tried to detail every scratch and dent in the pictures below. Important: the white little dots that are visible on the pictures below are in fact grass cuttings - the councils contractors helpfully splattered it in grass the same day I had it washed, and the cuttings dried out into white marks. Now all removed, of course

The main one is the scratch on the aftermarket lip / airdam (looks like some M-sport type bumper).

Various small stone chips on bumper and bonnet - no picture as they don't photo well. They're basically tiny white dots where some debris has gone through to the primer. No rust as far as I can tell.

Car park ding on c pillar.

Light scuffing to drivers side rear bumper

Scuff mark on middle of rear bumper. Important note - the white little dots on this picture are in fact paint drops - no idea where they've come from, but looks like a clay bar would shift them.

Both wing mirrors have scuff marks on the extremities. Only one pic, but the other looks the same.

Scratching to chrome window surround on one side.

Note, most of the above are not so bad that your eyes are drawn to them, I just like to keep my buyers informed before they make a journey to come and see a car. The main one is definitely the front airdam/lip scratch, but luckily it's so far down that it doesn't *really* stand out too badly. I believe the condition of this car is like that of almost any other 10 year old car. It's not showroom, but it's not really tatty either. Close ups of the marks make them look bigger IMO than what they look like in the real world.

INTERIOR

The interior is in good condition. The only broken bit is the cup holder up front, where the return / push out spring has broken. The cup holder still works, but you have to pull it out rather than it automatically popping out.

This car used to belong to a smoker until about 2.5 years ago, but since then it has not been smoked in. It has had the interior washed and an ozone treatment three times now to get rid of the smell (frankly, it was ridiculously stinky when I got it). Now it isn't bad at all - I've noticed the following around this issue:
If the car has been stood for a long time (e.g. long weekend), there is a quick whiff of cigarette smoke as you get in. It seems to be something in the door seals or something, and the ozone doesn't seem to get it. Either way, by the time you've sat down and turned the car on, it's gone.
I've started using one of those tree style air fresheners now, and I don't notice the smoke anymore (I've never smoked, and I'm super sensitive to cigarette smells as they really annoy me).

There will probably be an imprint of the rear childseat for a couple of weeks after the seat is removed (I had the seat in another car for a while, and the indentation it leaves does disappear, but not immediately).

The stereo in this car is the best OEM sound I've ever had in a car. Unfortunately it only plays radio and CD's, but listening to them is a joy. In fact, this is the bit I'll miss the most about this car when it's gone - I think it's got the factory upgrade from new, i.e. some extra amps etc.

Mechanicals
Generally sound, however there is a slight oil weep from the oil filter housing (common BMW M54 engine issue). The leak is such that if the car is left overnight, occasionally there will be a drop of oil underneath (50p size mark). UPDATE: FIXED 07/01/2015

The engine had a new cam cover gasket put on at its 2014 service, as that was leaking oil onto the headers (another common fault).

The cooling system looks like it's been completely replaced. New header tank, new hoses under slam panel, new thermostat (this one I replaced only last week due to a leak, and changed coolant at the same time).

The auto box seems to work just as well as any other auto box I've driven.

Wheels/Tyres
Currently sitting on OEM 17" wheels. The two rear tyres were replaced january 2014, and the car hasn't done more than 5000 miles since, so virtually brand new (Pirelli P7 something, 225/50/17).
Front tyres were replaced in December 2014 (Pirelli P7). Less than 1000 miles since fitting new front tyres.

Service History
11/02/2004: Pre-delivery inspection
31/01/2005: 23831 miles, BMW
04/01/2006: 44509 miles, BMW
12/05/2006: 54898 miles, BMW
24/12/2007: 73600 miles, independent
22/02/2009: 80493 miles, independent
10/04/2010: 86507 miles, independent
18/06/2012: 97649 miles, BMW
31/03/2014: 107415 miles, independent
07/01/2015: 111000 miles, independent (incl fixing oil leak)

Summary
Mechanically in good nick - no known issues apart from the cup holder spring not working. Bodywork isn't perfect, but not out of the ordinary.

Good service history with very good (decent brand) tyres.

It is a great motorway cruiser, returning around 34mpg when calculated tank to tank, however I don't do motorway driving anymore - almost all my journeys are now a 5 mile roundtrip to the nursery, in which time the car doesn't even fully warm up.

Price
I'm looking for 3500 pounds for this car. Comparing with the other "530i"s on pistonheads, I think it's a very fair price. I'm in no huge rush to sell, but would potentially take a subaru wagon or saab turbo estate in part ex (manual only).

Last edited by Henrik; 05 March 2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12 January 2015, 07:04 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

updated ad with fixes.