Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW X3 (F25)

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2014, 11:43 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW X3 (F25)

The wife is looking for a horse and at some point will need a horsebox to transport said beastie around. I am also doing a lot of clay shooting these days and cringe every time I have to take the Focus RS MK2 down a dirt track to get to a shoot (it’s on eibachs). So am looking at 4x4 options to replace the RS and a 6cyl diesel X3 ticks the boxes as has enough grunt (even the 3.0d has more torque than my RS), I like the looks, can tow 2 tonnes but is not stupidly big like the latest X5, Q7 etc.

I know there is a revamped X3 due out later this year but our budget wont stretch to a new 6 cylinder and I think the 4 cylinders are rather underpowered for the size of vehicle. So will probably have to be a 2-3yr old X3.

So has anyone got or had one and can give some insight into ownership? I know the original X3 was a bit of a lemon but the F25 seems to get decent reviews. The F25 is apparently similar to the original X5 in terms of dimensions. The Q5 is of course the direct competitor but I don’t like the looks of it. A lot of the mid size 4x4 like the Touran, Rav4, CX5, Xtrail, CRV etc seem to be very lacklustre in the engine dept.
Old 18 February 2014, 12:45 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an E70 3.0sd for 4.5 years, replaced it with a F25 2.0sd just over two years ago mainly to stop spending so much money on fuel (15k/year).

We've also less kids to carry around now, so thought downsizing was a good idea.

We've had no problems with it since we got it, fuel is an easy 40 average, with 50 manageable if trying hard.
Sizewise it is about the same as the old E53 X5, the boot in the F25 is actually larger than the old E53 boot, with two dogs that was key for us (E53 boot just wasn't big enough)

Only gripe is the tyres, we went for the 18" wheels and we're stuck with the runflats (contract lease), they're summer P7's, and although Pirelli do make an all weather version, it's not availabe in the UK. The Pirelli P7 runflats are rubbish in any sort of damp or slippy conditions.

We tried the Q5, weren't impressed, more expensive than the X3 and it's an Audi...

For towing, one thing I remember from the sales blurb is that the X3 system is more advanced than the Q5 system - might be worth checking this out.

The 3.0 diesel in the X5 was damn quick, the twin turbo even more so, it must be very impressive in the F25.
Old 18 February 2014, 03:56 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the write up. Some very useful info there. The X3 definitely seems to hide its size well as I doubt many people would see it as the same size as an E53.

Ouch at the fuel cost. What sort of mileage were you doing to rack that cost up? I have not calculated how much I spend on the RS (although have all fuel receipts to prove I only use 99ron in it) as it does around 26mpg but I mostly do a small commute and lucky if I hit 8k per year. Would hope even the 3.0D would easily better that if only by a little. We would also would get rid of the wifes ‘05 reg Rav4 for a little runaround for trips into town etc as she works from home 3 days a week now.

If a 35d was avail I would be tempted but they are pretty rare on BMW user car checker and Autotrader. So to find one in the colour, spec you want will be a mission I reckon.

Have you got the auto box in the F25 and if so how do you find it?
Old 18 February 2014, 06:05 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

It was 15k miles a year I meant, I should have been clearer..
The X5 managed about 30 mpg over the same run where we get 40 with the X3, also bear in mind while we were looking to replace the X5 the fuel cost was going through the roof, one of my last refills was £115 - that was when we thought it would be wise to get something more economic as the experts were forecasting fuel costs to continue rising.

Auto box is very smooth, it's the 8 speed box that I believe the X5 shares, the earlier X5's (changed around 09) had the earlier 7 speed box, the extra gear made a huge difference, much smoother and doesn't hold onto gears for quite as long.
Old 19 February 2014, 09:09 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only comment i'll make is I don't fancy any BMW's chances of pulling a horse box on wet grass let alone mud.

Land Cruiser with some proper tyres would be my choice or Isuzu denver max/ Rodeo for that sort of job, otherwise the tail is going to wag the dog.
Old 19 February 2014, 10:25 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

This video shows the sales blurb where they showed how the X3 four wheel drive was smarter than the Q5's.

What difference it makes in real life I've no idea, but it's good to wind up the Audi brigade..
Old 20 February 2014, 06:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Only comment i'll make is I don't fancy any BMW's chances of pulling a horse box on wet grass let alone mud.

Land Cruiser with some proper tyres would be my choice or Isuzu denver max/ Rodeo for that sort of job, otherwise the tail is going to wag the dog.

One of our regulars has a X3 3.0 (old shape) with X/T semi-off road tyres. I'm reliably informed its quite capeable as he lives up a very steep rutted mud track; I've driven it up there to deliver it back and I can understand why he has the X/T tyres.

Its the only BMW SUV I've seen with tyres remotely suitable for non-tarmac use. Doesn't seem to affect the handling too much, but then I find the handling of most SUVs a bit crap anyway.

Anyhoo point being - road tyres (even M+S tyres) on a muddy/grassy surface and a trailer could well leave you stuck. Regardless of it being an off roader and having the worlds smartest AWD system.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 February 2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 20 February 2014, 06:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

@ AliB, My point exactly, you don't buy a Soft Roader to do the work of an Off Roader, right tool for the job and all that.

I think it may be ok ish on it's own with the right tyres, but with a horse box with a horse inside with the best will in the world it's going to get messy, speaking as someone who has done a fair bit of off roading, shooting and horse riding, I wouldn't be looking at BMW's to be filling that position.
Old 20 February 2014, 06:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't know about BMWs not being up to it.

My uncle's partner uses a SWB Suzuki Grand Vitara (irnoic name LOL ) 1.6 petrol to tow her horse box. Which OK it is an off-roader and is rated to tow 1600kg, but in all seriousness its very pathetic, and I'd say the BM has a far better towing ability
Old 20 February 2014, 08:27 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Its all about compromise. This car will be mostly used on the road with the very occasional need for towing and most of that will be between yards rather than extreme off road.

And no doubt with decent O/R tyres an X3 would be as capable as we need but would not be worth the negatives for normal road usage.