Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Family cars

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2014, 06:32 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Family cars

Mrs G has a meriva, which we're starting to think about replacing. Unfortunately finances restrict us from buying what we ( I ) would like, so we're thinking sensible...

The Meriva has done what it's supposed to, cost effectively and with minimal fuss over the last 11yrs/78,000 miles from new. It's never been exciting to drive, but it gets the job done and we've been to France, Belgium, Germany, Holland over the years with kids, luggage, more luggage (beer) etc etc and it's been reasonably comfortable for us and the kids during those journeys.

We have no real idea what would be a half decent replacement but the choices that spring to mind of the sort of size/style Mrs G would prefer are nissan quashqai, Kia sportage, another meriva, dacia sandero stepway, Citroen something or other, similar Peugeot etc...

Has anyone looked at anything like this recently, and if so what did you conclude? Any views on the above would be appreciated, or suggestions for alternatives. We'd like to avoid spending too much and the way Vauxhall/gmac offered finance for the meriva, it made no sense paying cash for it (took their interest free loan to get more money off, then paid it all off 2 days before expiry of interest free period as suggested by the sales bloke).

Also wondering of Dacia are likely to gain more credibility in this country like skoda have over the years...
Old 12 January 2014, 06:26 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

For those who may be interested (and I don't expect there will be any/many...) the sandero stepway was pretty much as expected today - as soon as i opened the door it felt cheap, which of course it is. A reasonable level of equipment on the highest spec one, but it vibrates through the steering wheel, first gear was really short, it doesn't feel like an environment you'd want to do too many miles in, not really enough leg room in the back and it rolls too much for my liking. I'd be interested to see how their values hold up in 3yrs' time when there are so many other manufacturers out their with more market presence and longer warranties to compete with
Old 12 January 2014, 08:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

TBH, we just went with a new Insignia Sports Tourer. (VX-Line with Nav 2L diesel).

Not experienced much of the "cheaper" stuff. I thought the Scoob was cheap enough inside, but saw the light after having a load of German cars.

ETTO