Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW 428i

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2013, 07:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 428i

Had a test drive (24 hours) of the new 428i M Sport Coupe.

First impressions? Engine (245bhp) was very good. Felt stronger than the power figure would suggest. Traction was a bit of an issue on wet slippery back roads, but nothing a lighter prod of the throttle pedal couldn't sort. Was supprised how quickly the rear tyres gave in.

Steering was a bit numb for me. Never really felt what the front end was doing.

Ride was very good. Much better than I thought it would be. Smoothed out most of the rough from some bad roads I know.

Gearbox (Auto) was a bit disapointing. Flappy paddles were a waste of time, and triptronic gearstick was better, but having to shuffle 8 gears!!! I was losing track of what gear I was in. I can see why people like these Auto boxes, but for me it was just boring.

The car made more sense on the way home late last night. Select 'D', set comfort mode, and cruise back home after a night out.

Overall, a nice car. Comfortable, but more cruiser than sports car. You can get a manual version (the one I'd go for) but then I don't think the engine would feel as good, or the car as quick, as it's just a 6 speed, rather then the Auto's 8 gears.

Pleased I drove it, but I don't think I "want" one.
Old 17 November 2013, 07:39 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

I'm still not a fan of the looks of this car in standard guise, the M4 however looks very smart!
Old 17 November 2013, 09:21 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They aren't quite doing it for me either. Nice enough but just not that exciting.
Old 18 November 2013, 06:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Sound like what I expected after driving a few new 5series anf 3 series; the switch to electric steering has made them feel numb in feedback.

The autobox is great....but only as a auto. Using paddles or the gearshifter doesn't really add any extra benefit to the way the car performs as in DS mode its usually in the right gear every time anyway; The only time I use manual mode in our 530dgt is to pull away in 2nd gear in the snow/ice and to hold a low gear on steep declines (although there isn't much engine braking anyway, but it helps give the brakes a rest on the 3mile mountain declines). Oh and sometimes to force it into 8th gear, as on the rare occasion it doesn't want to.

Manual for a sports car is what they should always be - but I gues you'd be right that it'd be slower. Being a turbo'd 4pot engine the manual box will cause a bit of turbo lag between gearshifts. Autos can allow for full throttle shifts (although the ECU does back it off a little, but only enough for a smooth change).

Ride good? Did it have runflats, and did it have the adaptive suspension?
Old 19 November 2013, 08:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sound like what I expected after driving a few new 5series anf 3 series; the switch to electric steering has made them feel numb in feedback.

The autobox is great....but only as a auto. Using paddles or the gearshifter doesn't really add any extra benefit to the way the car performs as in DS mode its usually in the right gear every time anyway; The only time I use manual mode in our 530dgt is to pull away in 2nd gear in the snow/ice and to hold a low gear on steep declines (although there isn't much engine braking anyway, but it helps give the brakes a rest on the 3mile mountain declines). Oh and sometimes to force it into 8th gear, as on the rare occasion it doesn't want to.

Manual for a sports car is what they should always be - but I gues you'd be right that it'd be slower. Being a turbo'd 4pot engine the manual box will cause a bit of turbo lag between gearshifts. Autos can allow for full throttle shifts (although the ECU does back it off a little, but only enough for a smooth change).

Ride good? Did it have runflats, and did it have the adaptive suspension?
No run flats, and no adaptive damping. TBH I'm not a fan of trick damping. Tried a Golf GTI without, and that's how I'd order one. Same with the Audi S3.

Why should a sporty car need a button to become sporty?

From most reviews anyway, these switchable dampers, are too soft in comfort, just right in Normal, and too harsh in Sport. Just don't bother and give us a taught but supple ride on passive dampers.
Old 20 November 2013, 07:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The idea of adaptive suspension on Bmw is the shocks are softer. But can stiffen up if requested.

This can counteract the tooth-chipping ride that run flats give. But if the car doesn't have run flats then it doesn't matter, unless the roads you drive are extremely poor ( like where I live).

That's why I asked as I'm certain you wouldn't have said the ride was smooth if there were RFTs fitted with standard or sports suspension

The rosds near me are that bad that our Bm has three bent alloys - only found out when I changed the tyres ( explained the 70mph vibration ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 November 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 20 November 2013, 05:19 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just been sorting an issue with ours and ended up getting a rather appealing price to change for an M135i...

Looked at a few BMs; the 4 is quite nice looking but massive. I like the new X5 a lot.