Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

going to look at this mondeo tdci tommorow advise

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2013, 08:24 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to look at this mondeo tdci tommorow advise

i know they have issues regarding injecters etc and dmfs and clutches out else to listen for the car
http://www.redbrookmotors.co.uk/used...01309128760625
Old 15 September 2013, 08:28 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

When I had mine it ate tyres , injectors , but other than that was great
Old 15 September 2013, 08:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by nick172sport
i know they have issues regarding injecters etc and dmfs and clutches out else to listen for the car
http://www.redbrookmotors.co.uk/used...01309128760625
i really wouldnt bother mate,my pal has just spent £350 sorting his fuelling problem out on his mondeo (injectors) and last week his dmf/clutch failed leaving him with a bill of £1100

not bad considering the car cost him £1200 4 weeks ago
Old 15 September 2013, 08:35 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i really wouldnt bother mate,my pal has just spent £350 sorting his fuelling problem out on his mondeo (injectors) and last week his dmf/clutch failed leaving him with a bill of £1100

not bad considering the car cost him £1200 4 weeks ago

thats bad what other car would you recomend around 1k
Old 15 September 2013, 11:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

But tbh this could happen to any old diesel.

Get AA / else to rag it, and check for the big expenditure,

Mines cost me 6k over the 5 years basically Inc buying it, except MOT work - bit high this year cos let garage do some work which I could have done, but left mot to last minute so couldn't

The rear brakes are a windup, bit of a design fault.

Mines starting to rust now, being near the sea. And is quite ruf /smoky on start up first maybe a minute. On 148k now

Last edited by dpb; 15 September 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 15 September 2013, 11:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Also afaik the real bad injector problem cars were pre 2004, Mines 2004
Old 16 September 2013, 07:51 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

well went today and soon as i started it up i could here the dmf made a right noise lol anyways bought a ghia x petrol one safer bet fully loaded

Trending Topics

Old 16 September 2013, 08:40 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I was just going to say, if you're only spending £1000, buy a petrol one.

..and you did.

You need an awful lot of fuel savings to pay for the problems that cheap diesel cars suffer from.
Old 16 September 2013, 08:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

The petrol ones may have dmf as well
Old 16 September 2013, 09:08 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
The petrol ones may have dmf as well
well its done a lot off miles lst lady owner 5 years going picking it up tomorrow so we will see what year on petrols does it affect btw
Old 16 September 2013, 10:42 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
well went today and soon as i started it up i could here the dmf made a right noise lol
Sure it was the dmf you could hear?

Most of the mondeo tdci's (and the same engines in the jag x-types too) suffer from a problem where the aux belt tensioner fails and rattles like a good'un when idling. It should quieten right down when you put a few revs on. Lot of people just leave them like that, as even Ford mechanics say they're just noisy and not to worry until it gets really loud....
Old 17 September 2013, 12:01 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

1700 overpriced for that mileage and spec although irrelevant now.
DMF, Injectors, Pump, Wheel bearings (will affect petrol) are common, along with tyres (although this can be caused by the bearings) this applies to all mk3 (diesel except bearings)
Engines though are generally reliable, its just their ancillaries
Old 18 September 2013, 06:59 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
1700 overpriced for that mileage and spec although irrelevant now.
DMF, Injectors, Pump, Wheel bearings (will affect petrol) are common, along with tyres (although this can be caused by the bearings) this applies to all mk3 (diesel except bearings)
Engines though are generally reliable, its just their ancillaries
yep it was a grand when i looked at it anyways bought the high miler ghia x fully loaded im in heaven whith all the toys lol so much more comfortable than a clio
Old 18 September 2013, 07:58 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

my wife has the tdci ST - its a great car only issue weve had is new EGR valve and the backbox broke just hit 50k replaced the st wheels with genuine ford RS wheels as the originals pitted (common fault) sold them for more then I paid for the RS wheels lol

Old 18 September 2013, 08:12 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
my wife has the tdci ST - its a great car only issue weve had is new EGR valve and the backbox broke just hit 50k replaced the st wheels with genuine ford RS wheels as the originals pitted (common fault) sold them for more then I paid for the RS wheels lol

nice car that looked at them aswell dogs bollocks neil on here sold his scoob and bought the same car he realy liked it till one off the injectors went got the injector done then sold it once one goes they all go andcan be costly luck off the draw in my mind as with any car
Old 18 September 2013, 09:21 PM
scoobyverysoon

true we use decent diesel to try and prevent it. the boots are great with 2 kids in tow. now winter is looming heated seats

all i have in the scoob is a bright button
Old 18 September 2013, 09:26 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

true we use decent diesel to try and prevent it. the boots are great with 2 kids in tow. now winter is looming heated seats

all i have in the scoob is a bright button

well id have bought another scoob but the missus goes on and on maybe i should off traded her in lol she has a new fiesta know fully loaded and ive got a mondeo with heated seats lol
Old 18 September 2013, 10:43 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to seeing it... Mike lol
Old 18 September 2013, 10:51 PM
Noris8322
Scooby Regular

Run for the hills!!! The company I used to work for bad them as company cars. They were fine till about 50-60k but then they all seemed to spend more time sitting on the ramps in a main dealer than out on the road.
I know lots of people have no probs with them, but from my experiences with them, I would look at something different.
Have you thought about a Mazda 6? They kick the Mondeo's back side in almost all
respects.
Old 19 September 2013, 09:21 AM
scoobyverysoon

heated front screen they dont

all cars should have them IMO
Old 19 September 2013, 09:58 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Noris8322
Run for the hills!!! The company I used to work for bad them as company cars. They were fine till about 50-60k but then they all seemed to spend more time sitting on the ramps in a main dealer than out on the road.
I know lots of people have no probs with them, but from my experiences with them, I would look at something different.
Have you thought about a Mazda 6? They kick the Mondeo's back side in almost all
respects.
my st tdci is going strong still. Done over 217k miles now, ex cop car as well so had a hard life. I have changed all injectors though and fuel pump
Old 19 September 2013, 01:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the ones driven hard are the ones to go for. Injectors and pump is something to be expected - there is a TSB from Ford to check the size of metal particles in the fuel filter to assess if the pump is failing.

Most of the Mondeo/X-type TDCis I've seen with engine problems are ones generally driven "normally" or sedately. They clag up with soot giving EGR and turbo issues, and also MOT problems requiring "Italian Tune-ups" to pass. The varients with electronic turbo actuators are expensive when they fail as usually its the variable vanes in teh turbo sticking and wrecking the actuator. Its pointless fitting a reconditioned actuator as it'll just fail again - and they companies repairing them won't warranty it as its fitted to a faulty turbo. Versions with the vacuum actuator are less troublesome, vanes in the turbo can still stick though.

It would be a plausible explaination as to why the Transits with the same engine give less issues...because the engine works harder to push a heavier van and the shorter gearing keeps it revving so it doesn't clag up with soot.

Oh and as already mentioned tensioner and crank pulley noise is expected on these (pretty much every one that goes into our workshop makes this noise). Sounds awful, but replace them and they can do it again in a little over 12months, so my advice is to live with it.

Oh, and the rear brake calipers are crap.

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 September 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 19 September 2013, 06:23 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Nice, like the wheels too. This is my ST TDCI as a daily driver Last owner had the wheels fully refurbed as the factory finish is terrible after a few years.

Its a 2007 car and done about 80k - i've had it 9 months and only had an EGR valve fail in that time. Only £140 to get the part from a Jag dealer though and easy to fit yourself. Hopefully injector problems stay away!

I also had the rear bumper sag that you've got - jack the rear bumper with a block of wood, remove the plastic grill in the bumper and then drill through and bolt it up to the crash bar. Replace plastic grill and the big gap under the rear lights is gone forever
Old 19 September 2013, 06:58 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Razorwrx1
Looking forward to seeing it... Mike lol

ha ha you will mate
Old 19 September 2013, 09:05 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also had the rear bumper sag that you've got - jack the rear bumper with a block of wood, remove the plastic grill in the bumper and then drill through and bolt it up to the crash bar. Replace plastic grill and the big gap under the rear lights is gone forever [/QUOTE]

Nice bit of info there steve I have a 2.2 ST diesel as a runabout gets it head kicked in all the time done 97,000 miles and has the bumper sag so thats a job for me to sort out at the weekend the only thing I have had to replace is the clutch did that myself not cheap and the egr valve which I bought from jaguar much cheaper than ford other than that nothing (touch wood) the car is serving me well
Old 20 September 2013, 09:08 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Nice bit of info there steve I have a 2.2 ST diesel as a runabout gets it head kicked in all the time done 97,000 miles and has the bumper sag so thats a job for me to sort out at the weekend the only thing I have had to replace is the clutch did that myself not cheap and the egr valve which I bought from jaguar much cheaper than ford other than that nothing (touch wood) the car is serving me well
Its an easy job as long as the bumper hasn't deformed over time. Jack it slowly and keep an eye on the bumper corners above the rear wheels as if its deformed they have been known to pop out of their clips there.

And use a sharp drill bit and some good self tappers with a washer, the crash bar is a pretty heavy bit of metal to drill and then screw into. Also be careful you don't crush any wires when you bolt the bumper to the metal bar if you've got reversing sensors fitted
Old 07 October 2013, 06:35 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Nice, like the wheels too. This is my ST TDCI as a daily driver Last owner had the wheels fully refurbed as the factory finish is terrible after a few years.

Its a 2007 car and done about 80k - i've had it 9 months and only had an EGR valve fail in that time. Only £140 to get the part from a Jag dealer though and easy to fit yourself. Hopefully injector problems stay away!

I also had the rear bumper sag that you've got - jack the rear bumper with a block of wood, remove the plastic grill in the bumper and then drill through and bolt it up to the crash bar. Replace plastic grill and the big gap under the rear lights is gone forever
very nice - must admit love the standard wheels but the cost of diamond cutting is a joke for them to corrode again soon as you scuff them

seen that bumper tip on the mondeo st forums but never got round to doing it after the bumper got scraped both sides by vans after i wetsanded the damn thing to get mint - the car just seems to get door dinged im sick of it - I had it perfect too some ****** keyed it too but managed to get that out.
Old 07 October 2013, 06:56 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i have a 2007 mondeo estate ghia tdci its the 130 bhp six speed model and to be honest it has totally surprised me as to how good it is! i only bought it as a friend was selling it cheap due to getting a new car, it certainly wouldnt of been my first choice of car but i have to say i love it had no probs whatsoever with it