Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Renault sport clio 200

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2013, 10:22 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renault sport clio 200

Anyone got or had one of these, really like the look on these in white with the lovely recaro seats. I know they aren't the fastest cars out there bit are they as fun as the earlier clio 182's? Any advice would be gratefully received
Old 07 September 2013, 11:08 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

try the search button
Old 09 September 2013, 12:02 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Loved mine!! Wife got one following a lead on here (Lookers were doing them for £200/m on a PCH over 24 months). I had the Cup chassis and it was a big-boys go-kart!

Felt very connected, like you could tell when the car was going and where!
Old 09 September 2013, 01:34 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran one for 18 months, was my daily driver and a cracking little car. It was a 200 Cup with air con and the rear wing. I didn't have the optional recaros because truth be told I don't think they're that good.

A quick blast on a few motorway slip roads would have you wondering what the fuss is all about... a Golf GTi or Cooper S feels faster in a straight line and anyone who has read my opinion of the car before on here will groan at reading the story of the Mondeo diesel on the motorway, but to cut a long story short I got fed up of being rinsed by entry level diesel saloons on the motorway in a car that was supposed to be an out and out sports hatch.

For all the excellent balance, steering and impressive grip it was just massively lacking in punch compared to the average car. Only when you really wind one of these things up, usually down a country lane do you get the best out of them. It is difficult to extract much more power out of one of these reliably but an Akrapovic exhaust, remap and cam upgrade from a well known tuner in Bournemouth can get an extra 20-30bhp out of one. But it's expensive!

My sister summed the car up very well once by saying something to the effect of "that Subaru of yours was very fast and quite scary but it felt secure, that Clio is bloody terrifying because you always feel like you're going to fly into a tree but the car somehow manages to get through to the other side".

Other cons include terrible ride for rear passengers, poorer fuel economy than you'd expect (think 30 rather than 40) and quickly fading brakes. I got through pads very quickly I think they were made of spreadable cheese.

Old 09 September 2013, 04:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My eldest has the 197 Sport in bright red, and loves it, not much can stay with him on twisty roads.

Points to look for: he will soon be on his THIRD windscreen-wiper motor, and they ain't cheap.

Gearboxes chew up fifth to fourth syncro, not a cheap fix, but a brand new box can now be had for £350.

Brakes are/can be a bind to do, the pins corrode in place, Renault dealers carry spares, not dear, but a PITA.

His has the Renault sport seats which he preferred and still does.
Old 10 September 2013, 08:33 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep mine came with the branded Renaultsport seats too, they are very comfortable.

You mention the clutch, yes they are prone to that but a big annoyance for me is the bug where they kangaroo in first gear sometimes for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. You pull off slowly or quickly and sometimes hop away like the L-badge fell off the back of the car.

I forgot to mention another thing and that's Renault build quality. Mine had nothing in it to go wrong but still managed to rattle after 11,000 miles and by 30,000 when I sold it sounded like I'd dropped a bag of marbles behind the dash. Oh the air con failed too and the stereo sometimes used to randomly make everyone sound like a dalek. And for some reason the brakes would squeak terribly sometimes and nothing would sort it. I even took the front wheels and discs off and put them back and they still did it again a week later.

What you say about you son on country lanes though, I totally concur. It's not the fastest car in a straight line but through bends they are just magnificent and the steering is brilliant. Just a shame I think that it didn't have another 50bhp and lb ft of torque.