Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

C63 AMG saloon - anyone had one?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2013, 06:00 PM
whiper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C63 AMG saloon - anyone had one?

Quite fancy one of these, a 2010 model is around £35k now.

Any pitfalls?

450bhp and 440 torque from 2000rpm, 0-100mph in 10 seconds. Suppose to be a cracking car
Old 04 May 2013, 06:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine has one and he loves it. A lot of people slag Mercs off on forums like this so be prepared for the negative brigade to turn up any second telling you why you should buy an M car instead

Try MB Club Forums. loads of good advice from owners on there
Old 04 May 2013, 07:26 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm a recent MB convert and I use this site for info, however I don't own what you're considering. Mine is a measly C220 cdi amg sport plus

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/

Nik
Old 04 May 2013, 08:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My mate also had one - new rear tyres required at around 4k miles...

I'd never been a fan of any Merc up until he got his - brilliant car, and I'd certainly have the coupe version myself.
Old 04 May 2013, 09:36 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I do love the sound of them....... DIRTY!!!! In all the right ways!!!

However, a good friend had a CL63 AMG and had a lot of issues with parts wearing very quickly and the service from Mercedes was crap, but I would still have C63 over a BMW

Just be prepared for high fuel and tyre bills.
Old 04 May 2013, 09:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Lovely cars to look at IMO, awful lot of power tbh for the car to handle, I hired one. Nice inside too, but only downfalls for me was the handling wasn't that good for a car with that much power, and expensive running costs inc rear tyres everytime your happy. And yes Mercedes after sales is one of the worst!
For a cruiser, lovely but for a drivers car I would buy something else with better capabilities and less power like m3 etc.
I'm more into a handling of a car than power, power to me is not much without the capabilities.
Old 05 May 2013, 08:12 AM
Scooby Senior

We have one https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...this-week.html LOVE it..a VERY quick car and fuel isn't too bad for what it is either, returns around 23mpg on the commute from Manchester-North Wales for Jen.

The motoring journalists say that it is a bit feisty on the limit but we have not seen that on the road obviously, time will tell when it goes on the track.

The sound, well, that beats pretty much everything on the road!

Tyres will last longer than 4k unless you have a lead foot and the traction off all the time

Get one bought and enjoy
Old 05 May 2013, 09:47 PM
whiper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
We have one https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...this-week.html LOVE it..a VERY quick car and fuel isn't too bad for what it is either, returns around 23mpg on the commute from Manchester-North Wales for Jen.

The motoring journalists say that it is a bit feisty on the limit but we have not seen that on the road obviously, time will tell when it goes on the track.

The sound, well, that beats pretty much everything on the road!

Tyres will last longer than 4k unless you have a lead foot and the traction off all the time

Get one bought and enjoy
Thats helpful - cheers

I wouldn't normally consider an AMG car - as the others - bar the new E63 don't have great reviews.

Not too bothered about MPG - but low to mid 20's sounds reasonable - I have had several cars which do worse - and my current cayman s does similar.

How long can you extend the warranty for? - I guess big bills on a car like this outside of warranty...
Old 05 May 2013, 10:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by whiper
Thats helpful - cheers

I wouldn't normally consider an AMG car - as the others - bar the new E63 don't have great reviews.

Not too bothered about MPG - but low to mid 20's sounds reasonable - I have had several cars which do worse - and my current cayman s does similar.

How long can you extend the warranty for? - I guess big bills on a car like this outside of warranty...
I wouldn't take much notice of the reviews, have a drive of one and if YOU like it that's all that matters. To be honest it would need a BMW or Porsche badge for anyone in the motoring press to say anything positive about it!
Old 06 May 2013, 05:37 AM
Scooby Senior

It's easier to extend the warranty if the car is already in warranty Merc have told us.

From what I can gather, so long as the mileage is sub 100k then you can extend.
Old 06 May 2013, 10:01 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Awesome car (a mate has one) but horrendous thirst and comedy fuel range.

One of the best sounding cars on the road and unlike the RS4 and M3, oodles of torque.
Old 07 May 2013, 07:13 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I test drove one of these last year. Nice car, but spoiled by the very slow 7 speed automatic gearbox, IMHO.
Old 07 May 2013, 04:18 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remap = 500+ also.

E60 M5. more power, cheaper, v10, half the price?
Old 07 May 2013, 06:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

What is the obsession with remapping? It's hardly lacking in power. Whatever the numbers, someone will always waffle on about remapping.

A mates lovely 335d (2010) is currently buggered a month after being remapped by one of the best known outfits.

I say bollox to remapping.
Old 07 May 2013, 10:08 PM
craigmk2crx
Scooby Regular

Location: nice quiet village just outside Huddersfield surrounded by lovely A & B roads

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
What is the obsession with remapping? It's hardly lacking in power. Whatever the numbers, someone will always waffle on about remapping.

A mates lovely 335d (2010) is currently buggered a month after being remapped by one of the best known outfits.

I say bollox to remapping.
why is it buggered? anything directly to do with the remap? my mate had his 335 remapped 2 years ago & hasn't had any issues. Most problems after a remap are usually down to the owner thrashing the crap out of the car all the time

Anyways, back to what the thread is actually about, another mate had a C63 AMG & he loved it although he did say it was a bit of a handful in the wet. Prior to the Merc he had Aston's, an R8. He sold the Merc a few months ago & has now got a brand new Range Rover V8
Old 07 May 2013, 10:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

What is the obsession with remapping?
Because you can. Why have 500bhp when you can have 600?
Old 07 May 2013, 10:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

In an N/A engine?

No.
Old 08 May 2013, 09:25 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

One of these is on my 'to test drive' list. Won't be until later in the year, but it's a choice (on paper with no actual experience of them), C63 AMG, M3 or what is currently my dream choice but £5k-£10k more than the others, GTR.
I want to feel involved with the drive, something the M3 and Merc will offer in spades, but from I've read/watched reviews of the GTR which say unless you are driving 8/10ths+ it's not that rewarding.
Old 08 May 2013, 09:41 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

In an N/A engine?

No.
You asked why people re-map. I gave you an answer that's all.
Old 08 May 2013, 02:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
You asked why people re-map. I gave you an answer that's all.
I'm not keen on any remap but my comments were in reply to someone suggesting the OP remaps an N/A C63. Even more daft than remapping a forced induction engine. I remember in my R32 days that people would throw a few grand at squeezing about 20 extra bhp out. It's cheaper now but when yet ANOTHER person asks me if I've remapped our 335d, I either sigh and ignore them or when in the mood, bite their heads off...

I would never buy a car that had been remapped and the practise of doing so then "hiding" it to dealers and potential buyers is scandalous IMO.

It's a bit like some spod buying a Halfords bike, getting Chris Hoy to hammer it then said spod taking it back claiming it broke for no reason...

And I'm hearing far too many remapping horror stories. If you want 600bhp, buy a 600bhp car in the first place.
Old 08 May 2013, 04:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I'm not keen on any remap but my comments were in reply to someone suggesting the OP remaps an N/A C63. Even more daft than remapping a forced induction engine. I remember in my R32 days that people would throw a few grand at squeezing about 20 extra bhp out. It's cheaper now but when yet ANOTHER person asks me if I've remapped our 335d, I either sigh and ignore them or when in the mood, bite their heads off...

I would never buy a car that had been remapped and the practise of doing so then "hiding" it to dealers and potential buyers is scandalous IMO.

It's a bit like some spod buying a Halfords bike, getting Chris Hoy to hammer it then said spod taking it back claiming it broke for no reason...

And I'm hearing far too many remapping horror stories. If you want 600bhp, buy a 600bhp car in the first place.
I think you're on the wrong site if you are that critical of remaps

Depends on the engine to be honest. Some can take it, some can't. For instance most of the AMG V8 engines are running well within their limits in standard trim as are the gearboxes on most models. Perfect upgrade material if that's your bag. Horses for courses... look how many Scoobs are remapped... it's not a sin you know
Old 09 May 2013, 03:50 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Chillout mate. The C63 engine is the same as in the E63 and can easily handle and is designed to handle 520 bhp +. The throttle is limited in the C63 leaving it at around 450 bhp. Remap remove the throttle limited and allows engine to work at full throttle. thus 500 bhp.

No bad can come from a remap unless its done badly.

Another 50-60 bhp for the price of a few tanks of petrol. Yes please
Old 09 May 2013, 03:56 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Back on topic. Been in a few *63 and they are breathtakingly awesome. Love it. Def on my list of toys to have, even if just for the noise alone.

If you like driving go for the performance pack. That will bring ceramic brakes and LSD with stiffer springs , rims, alcantara wheel on early modles. or just LSD (others optional) on later models. PP also brings MERC remap to 485 bhp i believe. Further remap will unleash the full 500. (i use the term remap loosely)
Old 09 May 2013, 10:05 PM
whiper
Scooby Regular

Went for a spin in a C63 saloon on Wednesday - brutal car - epic engine.

Great steering , very nice ride too.

Put down a deposit
Old 09 May 2013, 10:11 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Put down a deposit
Old 11 May 2013, 06:55 AM
Scooby Senior

Put down a deposit
Good Choice!, Pics when it arrives please
Old 11 May 2013, 02:10 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

awesome. totally jealous