Vauxhall zafira

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2013, 05:13 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vauxhall zafira

Hi all
Recently had our third child, so looks like the scoob is going to be my weekend toy now.
The boss/wife really wants a zafira now, and judging by prices, we could prob get a 53 plate at a push with our £1500, maybe tad more budget.
Anyone had any experience or know which is the best bet out of the 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 dti?
Mpg figures on paper dont all look that bad, but i suppose sometimes the figures lie.
The 3 point seatbelt would be a big bonus on middle seat but not sure when they started them?
Is there any known issues with any of the different models, and how do the higher mileage ones hold up.
Any help would be brilliant as want to start looking asap
Thanks
Old 27 March 2013, 07:53 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

My parents have had 2 that they buy from new or nearly new. They like them but to be honest Im not sure why as both have had lots of little problems. For a Zafira of that price I would be nervous and probable look at buying something like this which should fair better.

My neighbour has one and says its the most reliable car he has ever had.

Mazda MPV

or a bit more if you looking for a diesel

Diesel Mazda
Old 27 March 2013, 10:08 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

My parents have had 2 too.

First was a 53 plate and it was brilliant. 1.8 as the 1.6 is completely gutless, avoid at all costs. My mum is in no way into sporty cars and even she thought it was slow. Only issue we found over a number of years is that the rear brakes would sometimes bind in the really cold weather.

Second one was a 57 plate. This time went for the 2.0 Diesel SRI. This thing is brilliant! Amazing economy and a shed load of torque considering it's an MPV. No issues whatsoever so far with this one.

I will say the seating arrangement is great. The back seats won't fit much more than a 16 year old unless they don't mind having their knees up. The space in the back with the seats down is massive, I've moved house with it and never needed a van. Both cars are quite low mileage (<80,000) so can't comment on what high mileage ones are like.
Old 29 March 2013, 08:01 AM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys
Aslong as there isnt a massive difference in insurance/tax i think ill rule the 1.6 out and get the best example of the other 2 i can find
Old 29 March 2013, 10:17 AM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if there is a massive difference between the 1.8 petrol and 2.0 dti for economy and performance?
I know the diesel will probably have a few more mpg and more torque, but is it marginal?
Old 29 March 2013, 10:41 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Try this comparison.

Surprisingly similar but it doesn't tell you the torque figures which are 110lbft in the petrol and 170lbft in the diesel. So the diesel is a little bit better in all areas but not as much as I would have thought. I think the most significant factor is the style of driving. Long distance get the diesel, short journeys definitely get the petrol...or a Mazda
Old 01 April 2013, 10:02 PM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

Haha, the mazda does look good, but the wife has got her heart set on a zafira and i value me buts too much to dissapoint her :-)
Is there anyone with or had experience with a 1.8 zafira to see what the real world mpg is on them compared to my impreza. Roughly 90-100 mile out of £25 petrol?
Im really torn between the 1.8 and dti. 70% of my journeys are 10 miles or less which the petrol should be ok, but when i do 100 miles or more the diesel would be superior, unless it wouldnt do too much harm to the diesel motor putting up with short journeys?
After driving imprezas for last 8 years, i just have no concept of economical petrol cars and really dont want to make wrong choice.

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2013, 10:15 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

My Dad had the 1.8 Vectra and switched to the diesel. I remember he was impressed with the economy gains, although I cant say what they are exactly. The diesel has been less reliable though but covered under the 3 year warranty at the time. For under 10 mile I cant recommend the diesel, as there are too many thing to go wrong from not letting it run at optimal temps for long enough.

As far as economical petrols go, I cant work it out either. My 2.0 Impreza did between 19-34mpg, my V6 Cougar did 25-33mpg, and my Turbocharged 2.0 Mercedes which has the most power out of all of them does. 25-40mpg, which I am very happy with. The Polo 1.2 small engine eco warrior I had before only managed 36-44mpg!
Old 02 April 2013, 11:56 AM
Harty2000
Scooby Regular

For the short journeys, I know there would probably be not too much to seperate the 1.8 and dti, aswell as you say the petrol would be the logical choice due to short comings of diesels and short trips.
It would just be nice to know, even though the zafira 1.8 aint exactly aerodynamically brilliant it would still return more than 90-100 mile from £25 for longer journeys, which would probably make my mind up on the petrol version
Thanks again for all your help