lancer?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2013, 10:25 AM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lancer?

Looking at buying a 08 09 lancer 2.0di d with the vw engine. In saloon styl
Are these a good car and are they reliable. I love the look and stil jap so can take to the japfest etc.

Not much info on these and seem v rare
Old 23 March 2013, 10:31 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Lancer was rated the most reliable car in the last 5 years so if anything went wrong it would be incredibly unlucky. Perhaps the only concerning thing would be the fact that the engine is from VW who aren't exactly renowned for making reliable cars.
Old 23 March 2013, 10:47 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends if its the one with dpf, the 130/140 is great the 170/180 stay we'll away from.

Injector faults, tandem pump faults, dpf fails. Even heard of one cracking a piston under 20k miles.
Old 23 March 2013, 10:57 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I think they use the 138bhp engine. I cant imagine Mitsubishi would be stupid enough to throw away their reputation by using the substantial VW parts.
Old 23 March 2013, 12:07 PM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

Ye its the 140 engine i would like to remap it after aswell. Thats if i get on
I did hear the new vw engines are not so reliable but hopefully the one in the lancer is ok
Old 23 March 2013, 12:09 PM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

You can remove the dpf right?
Old 23 March 2013, 12:11 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You can but they then need to be mapped.

Depending on the way you do it the cost can be anywhere from £250 -£1000 if you buying the miltek kit and a stage two map

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2013, 12:19 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

So is the 140 engine reliable as that could be a very good combination. Japanese reliability with fuel efficiency that the German cars offer.

Ive been thinking about a Ralliart myself but the fuel consumption puts me off a bit. I drove my Merc 2.0 petrol Turbo from Kent to Yorkshire yesterday and it averaged 39.5mpg - impossible in any other 2.0 forced induction Japanese petrol car.
Old 23 March 2013, 06:51 PM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
So is the 140 engine reliable as that could be a very good combination. Japanese reliability with fuel efficiency that the German cars offer.

Ive been thinking about a Ralliart myself but the fuel consumption puts me off a bit. I drove my Merc 2.0 petrol Turbo from Kent to Yorkshire yesterday and it averaged 39.5mpg - impossible in any other 2.0 forced induction Japanese petrol car.
ralliart is only the sport back 5 door i dont like the back to me its all about the saloon that does it for me but if you do then its also a good idea but fuel could still be bad i know the 140 can be mapped to about 175 180
Old 23 March 2013, 07:21 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

The Ralliart saloon

Old 23 March 2013, 07:28 PM
k9l3
Scooby Regular

i sure in the uk its only the hatchback does look nice tho but too be honest the diesel is similar looking but without the vented bonnet etc
Old 23 March 2013, 07:38 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

They might not have come to the UK but I thought I had seen one on autotrader a few months back. Maybe it was an import as I cant find any info on them in the UK at all.
For most who do the miles a diesel would be a very good choice.
Old 23 March 2013, 07:40 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a lancer ralliart hatch, its a great car and reliable too.
better built and better equiped interior than a wrx hatch and easily mapped to around 300 bhp

Last edited by tubbytommy; 23 March 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 23 March 2013, 07:43 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I know you arent looking at a Ralliart but this is an interesting comparison between two cars in the range.

Old 25 March 2013, 01:16 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Is it because you work as a Chauffeur and you have to drive slowly

What's that like..........

Last edited by jpor; 25 March 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 25 March 2013, 01:20 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by jpor

And the ralliart is 4wd
Old 25 March 2013, 05:01 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor

Lol, that was a while ago. I really need to update my profile page but as you were asking being a chauffeur was good fun. I met many interesting, high profile people and over heard many conversations that would make the tabloids weep.

(Well done for editing that daft Turbo question)
Old 25 March 2013, 05:23 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Lol, that was a while ago. I really need to update my profile page but as you were asking being a chauffeur was good fun. I met many interesting, high profile people and over heard many conversations that would make the tabloids weep.

(Well done for editing that daft Turbo question)
No worries. Was going to add in that Mercs rust faster than a turbo but didn't want to embarrass you any further as you already own a Subaru Impreza Sport without a turbo
Old 25 March 2013, 05:37 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Used to own one and it was a very good car, not embarrassing. Admittedly the WRX would have been better given the small additional outlay in insurance and petrol but I couldn't stretch that far at the time because I wanted a 2 year old car.

Im fully aware of how Mercedes rust. They are not the marque people think when it comes to reliability. All 4 doors have been replaced and one is showing signs of rust again! Thats a new door every 2 years! The tailgate is also showing rust but I have repaired but myself. On top of this I have repaired or replaced the; Harmon Kardon stereo, starter motor, front shocks x2, front springs x2, front ARB (the whole thing), steering rack, bump stops, front left calliper, rear ARB bushes and all 4 drop links all done within the first 5 years of its life. At the present time its fine and has been for the last 6 months but there is no way I would buy another Mercedes until they stop producing such junk.

However, it saves me a packet in fuel and insurance over the Impreza. Not quite enough to cover the repair bills though.
Old 25 March 2013, 05:41 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Used to own one and it was a very good car, not embarrassing. Admittedly the WRX would have been better given the small additional outlay in insurance and petrol but I couldn't stretch that far at the time because I wanted a 2 year old car.

Im fully aware of how Mercedes rust. They are not the marque people think when it comes to reliability. All 4 doors have been replaced and one is showing signs of rust again! Thats a new door every 2 years! The tailgate is also showing rust but I have repaired but myself. On top of this I have repaired or replaced the; Harmon Kardon stereo, starter motor, front shocks x2, front springs x2, front ARB (the whole thing), steering rack, bump stops, front left calliper, rear ARB bushes and all 4 drop links all done within the first 5 years of its life. At the present time its fine and has been for the last 6 months but there is no way I would buy another Mercedes until they stop producing such junk.

However, it saves me a packet in fuel and insurance over the Impreza. Not quite enough to cover the repair bills though.
So apart from rebuilding it. Its cheap to run. Martin lewis has nothing on you when it comes to money saving tips.
Old 25 March 2013, 05:44 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Most was done under warranty but I believe it would have cost around £12,000! This is one of the main reasons I would prefer to buy Japanese next time as non of the German marques know how to build cars properly any more, but the rising petrol costs make me hesitant. A bit like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Old 25 March 2013, 05:57 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Most was done under warranty but I believe it would have cost around £12,000! This is one of the main reasons I would prefer to buy Japanese next time as non of the German marques know how to build cars properly any more, but the rising petrol costs make me hesitant. A bit like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
but you have a sport impreza that has all of the downsides but none of the upsides like performance.

the sport may be cheaper to insure but its still crap mpg and running costs.

sorry i dont get your logic at all about money saving.
Old 25 March 2013, 06:07 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Sorry, what logic about money saving? I dont have the R sport any more. I sold it ages ago. When I bought it petrol was equivalent to 65p/litre where I was living in Spain and it was very reliable. Im not really sure where the R sport comes into it at all. I think jpor mentioned it as a dig but its not really relevant to anything we are talking about.

The only logic about money saving I offered was regarding the fuel efficiency of German cars against the reliability of Japanese cars but I dont think I made any conclusions.
Old 25 March 2013, 06:07 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Sorry, what logic about money saving? I dont have the R sport any more. I sold it ages ago. When I bought it petrol was equivalent to 65p/litre where I was living in Spain. The only logic about money saving I offered was regarding the fuel efficiency of German cars against the reliability of Japanese cars but I dont think I made any conclusions.
sorry then i misunderstood, but if you buy a 4wd turbocharged petrol engined car you expect the running costs to be high surely??
Old 25 March 2013, 06:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Yes but potentially cheaper than the repair bills that would accompany a similar priced German alternative.