Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes E320 cdi

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2013, 10:06 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Mercedes E320 cdi

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Avantgarde & Sport?

I'm talking 2005 roughly.

I quite like the idea of one of these but unlike the BMW 5 series I can't see a difference between the Avantgarde and the Sport. Well, only wheels. The body kit looks the same, seats look the same.

I have googled it and it seems the avantgarde even has 'sport' suspension over the elegance. So is there any point getting a sport? Essentially they are a lot more expensive and look the same.

Last edited by jameswrx; 22 February 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 22 February 2013, 05:56 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Avantgarde & Sport?

I'm talking 2005 roughly.

I quite like the idea of one of these but unlike the BMW 5 series I can't see a difference between the Avantgarde and the Sport. Well, only wheels. The body kit looks the same, seats look the same.

I have googled it and it seems the avantgarde even has 'sport' suspension over the elegance. So is there any point getting a sport? Essentially they are a lot more expensive and look the same.
Iam pretty sure the Avantgarde comes with standard leather and i know on the later models, you got sat nav command as standard.

Be careful with a 2005 model, as this was still Mercedes poor period for quality. Between the late nineties and 2007, there quality went right downhill. I was a member of the Mercedes Benz club for a couple years and iwas always hearing about this black period in the marques history. Probably not as bad as the scare stories i heard but i have seen early 2000 S class Mercs with rusty arches and dodgy electrics on mid 2000's on all models.
Old 23 February 2013, 09:57 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Post 2004 are galvanized , i have a 2006 c320 cdi cracking car its avantgarde with sports pack fitted larger discs and calipers and sports suspension , only prob i have had is stepper motor in inlet manifold failed it controls the air flaps , shows up as loss of power and gear change probs common fault on diesels , easily remapped to 260bhp ! 42mpg on motorway 35 combined for me as most is on a rds , and that is being driven hard most of the time . Once rolling quite a quick car .
Old 23 February 2013, 09:59 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Sport has different wheels and rear spoiler , i preferred avantegarde look .
Old 23 February 2013, 12:36 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
Be careful with a 2005 model, as this was still Mercedes poor period for quality. Between the late nineties and 2007, there quality went right downhill.
Never came back really!
Old 24 February 2013, 01:03 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

Hi, pal just wanna share some experience with my w211 e55 amg, which basically the same car. Engine and gearbox wise on the amg is amazing which I bleieve the same story goes on the rest of the model.

But so far into 7 months of ownership I have been having 'few issue' with it.

Mechanically
Driver side air suspension replaced 800 pounds parts and 300 labour with Indy (common issue)
Air suspension pump 400 part&labour (very common issue)
Supercharger pump 160pounds DIY

Other electrical bits
Parktronic fault
Electric headrest stopped working
Keyless and go driver & driver side rear door handle failures (ongoing)
Keyless and go won't start(ongoing)
AC fault.

I must have miss loads other tiny bit and bobs even tho the cdi doesn't shared too much on mechnical wise with the amg, but realibility of amg which supposed to be at the top of its range, reflects the quality of the product!! This car electrical side is just a joke. .. so make up your own mind mate. (Hope I say enough to put you off)
Old 25 February 2013, 10:15 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok, thanks gents.

I'm being given an s type jag at the end of the month (for as long as I want) by my grandad so this should tide me over now. Might be a bit of a shock as currently got his Mercedes c class, it's only a baby 180 kompressor but it's a 2008 sport with all the amg wheels & stuff in dark grey so looks the part. Only done 6k miles too.

After having this merc it just got me looking for one but the previous c class is awful looking after driving this around, I'd actually rather drive one of the 1998 shape ones than the 01-07 shape.

What a waste of time the steering wheel paddle shift stuff seems though, is it just me? Maybe on an SMG box, but on an auto? Doesn't do anything for me! I also think the 'sport' mode on the box is shockingly done.