Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Megane Sport dCi 175?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2013, 03:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Megane Sport dCi 175?

Widened my search and am now considering one of these. My eldest has a Clio 197 Sport and loves it, and it's been reliable. I enjoy driving it too, but the lack of any power below 4000rpm isn't good.

The Megane has 175 bhp with over 350 kN torque from as low as 2000rpm, and is quite nippy, or so it would seem.

Anyone any comments, or know the cars?
Apart from the usual "It's french...etc" comments, that is
Old 04 January 2013, 07:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well I knew they were rare, but
Old 04 January 2013, 07:43 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could never drive one due to the demented rump on it, sorry.
Old 04 January 2013, 09:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Fir enough, it's a like it or loathe it thing. I wasn't keen when I first saw it, but in red they look amazing...
Old 04 January 2013, 11:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Never driven a 170...but we have a Megane II 1.9Dci 110 as a pool car/runabout/shed so have a little insight of living with a Megane II....

Bought it for a few hundred quid as a none runner/MOT fail as the owner got fed up with all the problems/faults/bills. Only 60,000miles. Its like something Clarkson would have on a Top-gear challenge:

It went mad on us just before christmas as the fusebox got water logged (headlamp access cover was missing ). Wipers on, headlamps on indicators flashing, won't start. Can't turn off the ignition either (had to disconnect the battery in the end and let it dry out). Its now been waterproofed with duct tape

Before that the passenger window fell into the door cavity when I shut the driver's door. Renault delivered three different window mechanisms...all clearly for a Megane II; but none would fit.

Offside front indicator randomly stops working....this side does still have a access cover which "should" gives access to the back of teh headlamp through teh wheel arch....but only if you are double jointed. I'm not, so I just hit it until it starts working again.

It says "injection problem" and "service now" on the dash constantly. Only becuase the glow plugs don't work (starts perfectly though, even when freezing)....the wiring loom on the nearside front has corroded, the two signal wires from the ECU to the glowplug unit shorted out the glowplug unit and the ECU, which in turn held on the glowplugs on constantly until they failed. ECU is also goosed, as I've fixed the wiring and replaced the control unit and plugs, but I'm getting no signal out the two relevent pins on the ECU. ECU is potted into its casing so I can't inspect it properly to see if I can effect a repair (doubt I could...eyesight's a bit wonky for SMD soldering these days).

It developed a wiered thumping sensation (once per wheel revolution) through the brake pedal and steering that felt like the nearside front disc/hub had run-out/warped. Long story short (and lots of headscratching); it was a reluctor ring on the offside REAR wheel causing the problem!!

Airbags don't work either...wiring under seats has stretched and broken - this is what happens when a women uses it and sets the seat height to maximum.

The handbrake broke; literally, the lever/mechanism just fell apart.

Keycard broke, so it wouldn't start...had to crack it open to repair the transponder (common fault)

Switch in the keycard holder also broke...again wouldn't start (common fault).

Other than that, when it is running it goes alright and always returns over 40mpg even though we all constantly thrash the hell out of it....that is if the trip computer can be trusted.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 January 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05 January 2013, 12:11 AM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got a privilege 120 dci (sport tourer ) and quite like it, had it years, its totally battered and starting to go wrong - back windows stopped working, one mirror elec folds in but not out, exterior lock buttons work now and again but apart from that id have another, the 175 would be pretty good

you dont need to do anything
unlocks on the handle touch
starts with key in pocket
auto stereo volume
auto dim mirror
auto lights etc
tyre sensors (make sure they are stick on weights)

Mine could easily do 50-55mpg but I always avg 45

I get an ABS light occasionally but thats since I changed all discs/bearings

passed the last 4 MOTs without any advisories
never had any major issues with it, one of them that leaves the factory right I suppose but looking at it you wouldnt think so

might look for a 175 myself next

oh, the passenger door pocket is a fish tank

Last edited by LeeMac; 05 January 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05 January 2013, 12:30 AM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

I have a Megane DCi 120 Dymonique or however the **** you spell it. A 2005 bought it for £300 with the clutch goosed, cost £800 to fix it, I also have the clunk on the front & through the brake pedal, interesting to hear about the rear reluctor ring as the ABS light has just decided to come on & stay there. It's also got an injector fault that makes it feel like it's missing when sat at junctions, also fuel has gone down from 55 to 44mpg. The driving position is horrible, it feels like your sat on it rather than in it, but I hated the Civic type-R for the same reason. Basically a bag of **** which I wish I could get rid of.

I had the 120 DCi Sports Tourer before this for 2 years & that was a totally different nice car.

Alan...
Old 05 January 2013, 12:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The reluctor rings are a common issue....on the rear its part of the brake disc (and wheel bearing).

Even a brand new disc can be delivered damaged. You only have to put the discs reluctor side down on the ground can damage it. And any rust/debris around the hub can get trapped between the reluctor and the sensor and damage it (the latter is what happned on ours).

What threw me on our car was that the ABS was playing up....but the ABS light never came on...usually they do
Old 05 January 2013, 03:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Typical French car then
Old 06 January 2013, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmm. Doesn't sound too good, but the Renault Sport models are said to be made on a separate production line, more handbuilt, like the OLD RS Fords used to be.

They are rare too: only THREE of these beasts on Autotrader.
Old 06 January 2013, 12:56 PM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The reluctor rings are a common issue....on the rear its part of the brake disc (and wheel bearing).

Even a brand new disc can be delivered damaged. You only have to put the discs reluctor side down on the ground can damage it. And any rust/debris around the hub can get trapped between the reluctor and the sensor and damage it (the latter is what happned on ours).

What threw me on our car was that the ABS was playing up....but the ABS light never came on...usually they do
Yeah my ABS light is constantly on, just decided one day to come on as I was driving down the road, got next weekend off so will have a look, is the reluctor actually part of the disc, so new disc, new reluctor?

OP sorry for the high-jack but the Renault forums have not come up with an answer in the knocking in 6 months.

Alan...
Old 06 January 2013, 06:24 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeff

From personal experience with Renault Megane Sport must admit we are been impressed,although fuel economy on Petrol 2.0L T has been poor,very similar to the Impreza

Interior is really nice and everything worked as should,those electrical gremlins above mentioned we are never have,just problem in our case someone has wired one headlight to the fuse(later on we are replaced headlight loom which has been easy to buy and cheap too)

Jura
Old 06 January 2013, 11:27 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

i had the R26 Megane renaultsport for over a year and nothing ever went wrong with it, pretty fast but tramlined and torque steered like a bugger.

the deisel ones are quite sought after, especially if you can get a light blue one(monte carlo i think).

the rumours about what was going to go wrong made me more nervous about driving it but nothing ever went wrong and i ragged that car,lol

the old owner even wanted to buy it back from me but couldnt sell his M3 in time, go figure!!

Mac
Old 07 January 2013, 10:24 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Just hear so many horror stories about Renaults that I steer well clear.
Old 07 January 2013, 12:34 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Pistonheads like them and there is a link to a nice blue one for sale in the article too.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/de...?storyId=26641

Steve
Old 07 January 2013, 12:55 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I am seriously thinking about one a 3 door Renaltsport DCi for my next car, I like the look of them. Either that or a Skoda Fabia VRS diesel.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:13 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, won't this have the same engine as those Laguna DCI's that are dirt, dirt cheap because of turbo woes? (some sort of oil starvation problem if I recall)