Good Mpv people carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2012, 11:10 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Good Mpv people carrier

Deciding what car to get next
Narrowed it down to two, for the wife and me.

Ford s-max or vw touran these two are my favourite ATM, 2.0tdi engines but the road tax is about £170 a year, which is not a major issue I suppose.

Budget will be around £10k, under the better.

Has to be 7 seater option, good mpg, reliable, bit punchy if possible for when car is full of family etc.
Cheap to run. And good to drive.

Anymore recomendations.

Thanks
Old 06 October 2012, 12:01 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Deciding what car to get next
Narrowed it down to two, for the wife and me.

Ford s-max or vw touran these two are my favourite ATM, 2.0tdi engines but the road tax is about £170 a year, which is not a major issue I suppose.

Budget will be around £10k, under the better.

Has to be 7 seater option, good mpg, reliable, bit punchy if possible for when car is full of family etc.
Cheap to run. And good to drive.

Anymore recomendations.

Thanks
Only one winner then and it aint the VW.

The Ford should be a better drive as well with most other things are equal.
Old 06 October 2012, 12:21 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Lol, personally I like the look of the vw but like the inside in smax
Old 06 October 2012, 12:28 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I guess the VW has a more desirable badge...Heaven only knows how. I think its all about perceived quality, something that German manufacturers are masters at.
Old 06 October 2012, 12:32 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grand Scenic - decent 1.5TDi (although there is a 1.9 version) with a good slug of torque. Tax for the 1.5 is only £100 per year and they appear to be quite solid these days - none of the old Renault 5 style flimsiness about them
Old 06 October 2012, 12:33 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the kids going to trash it ? Football for us today and the C4 grand Picaso has half a football pitch in it !!

Shaun
Old 06 October 2012, 12:36 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Grand Scenic - decent 1.5TDi (although there is a 1.9 version) with a good slug of torque. Tax for the 1.5 is only £100 per year and they appear to be quite solid these days - none of the old Renault 5 style flimsiness about them
Never been a fan of French cars, prefer German or jap. But I'll have a look,see if the wife likes it but dont think im set on it tbh, Image is important too,
Old 06 October 2012, 01:16 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I dont have much experience with French cars but my brother in law had a grande scenic. He said it was brilliant for the first 3 years and then as if by magic it fell to pieces. The windscreen leaked, the electrics failed and something to do with the steering rack. he got rid straight away as he felt as thought it was designed to fail after 36 months. A bit like the German cars...I'd stick with the Japanese or Ford.
Old 06 October 2012, 01:38 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine has owned both the 'C' & 'S' Max fords. Must admit the last one he had which was the 'S' max had all the gadgets and went like the clappers. But the cost of ownership was the biggest pit fall for him. It was costing him around £100 a week to fill up :-(
Old 06 October 2012, 01:45 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Mate of mine has owned both the 'C' & 'S' Max fords. Must admit the last one he had which was the 'S' max had all the gadgets and went like the clappers. But the cost of ownership was the biggest pit fall for him. It was costing him around £100 a week to fill up :-(
Was it petrol or diesel? There a few engine options, and what amount of miles was he doing weekly?
Old 06 October 2012, 06:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Was it petrol or diesel? There a few engine options, and what amount of miles was he doing weekly?

It was a TDCI Titanium. He was managing around 300 Miles on average :-(
Old 06 October 2012, 06:45 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Was there something wrong with it?...after harping on about buying Japanese or Ford due to their superior reliability.

My inlaws 1.8l petrol Cmax does around 300 average and most of it is around town.
Old 06 October 2012, 07:20 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

After reading a few owners reviews on both cars on parkers, the s-max has mixed reviews in going back to dealers regularly for faults, but is that from new I wonder.
And vw seem similar too, but just minor issues, egv, smoke in engine on cold mornings etc.

So still a bit stuck on this tbh, looked at the Mazda 5 and wow even worser (avoid) high running costs.

This car needs to last us for at least 5 years.
Old 06 October 2012, 07:22 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
It was a TDCI Titanium. He was managing around 300 Miles on average :-(
Hm that's not right, are you sure it wasn't a 2.5 titanium x
Old 06 October 2012, 08:03 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Any good? Hondas beat Mazdas in my opinion.

Honda FR-V options
Old 06 October 2012, 09:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Any good? Hondas beat Mazdas in my opinion.

Honda FR-V options
I agree but don't really like it.
Think the s-max is a winner so far as I can't find anything as good with all the gadgets etc, do love the titanium with x pack on, st wheels, half leather, DVD screen etc. the s-max looks like a nice place to be in tbh and can't find anything similar. Will just have to make sure I thoroughly check it's a good un, and stay away from dealers
Old 07 October 2012, 07:02 AM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Chevrolet transport full 7seater with way better boot space than the other 2, all options you could want.
Old 07 October 2012, 12:44 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sweden
Chevrolet transport full 7seater with way better boot space than the other 2, all options you could want.
Don't think I would touch a Chevrolet for obvious reasons (parts) and the boot dosent bother me as the back 2 seats will be down, only used for occasions.
Old 07 October 2012, 12:50 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

Never had problem with parts very cheap easy to work on but if you don't need boot space then it'll be to big for you
Old 07 October 2012, 12:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you don't need a boot whilst all the seven seats are in use, then a current shape Zaf or Touran are both good. Never driven a S-max so can't comment on those.

If you need a boot AND seven seats you need to look at a Galaxy/Sharan. I'd avoid the Alhambra though as although mechanically identical, the parts specfic to the Seat version are more pricey (body parts, interior trim etc).

If you don't care about driving, then a Kia Sedona will do the job. Not bad, but utterly boring though. Same goes for the chrysler grand voyager, apart from they are a bit thristy on fuel.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 October 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07 October 2012, 12:58 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
If you don't need a boot whilst all the seven seats are in use, then a current shape Zaf or Touran are both good. Never driven a S-max so can't comment on those.

If you need a boot AND seven seats you need to look at a Galaxy/Sharan. I'd avoid the Alhambra though as although mechanically identical, the parts specfic to the Seat version are more pricey (body parts, interior trim etc).

If you don't care about driving, then a Kia Sedona will do the job. Not bad, but utterly boring though. Same goes for the chrysler grand voyager, apart from they are a bit thristy...even the diesel!
Yes Ali, it will be used as a 5 seater primarily inc dog in back, but need 7 for the family occasions with 3 child seats and 3 adults etc.
The touran is one of my favorarites as they don't look too long etc, but I can't ignore the luxury in the smax, nice place to be
Old 07 October 2012, 01:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have the newer shape Galaxy, have had it four years and it has been great, so much better than the Sharan it replaced, even manages to be quite good fun to drive (for an MPV), does 35 - 50 mpg depending on what its being used for.
Old 07 October 2012, 02:23 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
We have the newer shape Galaxy, have had it four years and it has been great, so much better than the Sharan it replaced, even manages to be quite good fun to drive (for an MPV), does 35 - 50 mpg depending on what its being used for.
Is it the 11on model? What engine? Is it a good drive?
Old 07 October 2012, 07:02 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Never been a fan of French cars, prefer German or jap. But I'll have a look,see if the wife likes it but dont think im set on it tbh, Image is important too,
IMO Citroen's are damn good cars, I have had quite a few and never had an issue with any of them. Whereas every ford, VW and Vauxhall I have owned have been a nightmare of faults and general unreliabilty.

We are going to have to replace the Forester with a seven seater by January as we have child number four on the way

Probably look at a Grand Picasso or possibly a Scenic, cheap to buy and cheap to run but far more stylish than anything German or Jap
Old 07 October 2012, 07:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the 11on model? What engine? Is it a good drive?
Ours is a 2007, they have revised it since then but not a complete new model, it does drive really well for an MPV, the handling is great for the size of it and it has enough power to not be too embarrassing, the 2.2 would be better, it is comfy, well equipped and has been reliable, image wise it isnt cool but looks smart enough, we looked at SUV's but couldnt see the point, I think a lot of people avoid them and buy something less suitable to get the right badge.
Old 07 October 2012, 09:16 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Yes Ali, it will be used as a 5 seater primarily inc dog in back, but need 7 for the family occasions with 3 child seats and 3 adults etc.
The touran is one of my favorarites as they don't look too long etc, but I can't ignore the luxury in the smax, nice place to be
Arent Fords S Maxs part of the Royal fleet? Im sure that I remember seeing them being used in Royal precessions. If its good enough for them etc.
Old 07 October 2012, 09:36 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
IMO Citroen's are damn good cars, I have had quite a few and never had an issue with any of them. Whereas every ford, VW and Vauxhall I have owned have been a nightmare of faults and general unreliabilty.

We are going to have to replace the Forester with a seven seater by January as we have child number four on the way

Probably look at a Grand Picasso or possibly a Scenic, cheap to buy and cheap to run but far more stylish than anything German or Jap
Sorry mate but IMO I disagree on the stylish department, everybody has diffrent taste, and driving French cars is a disappointment IMO, they maybe be reliable scince back in the day, Ive looked at a lot of mpvs and no French car looks good tbh, even the Hondas look poor

Originally Posted by SRSport
Arent Fords S Maxs part of the Royal fleet? Im sure that I remember seeing them being used in Royal precessions. If its good enough for them etc.
I hope so lol.
Speaking with missus today and seeing a few of smax's they look very long, so think the touran may win us as it dosent look too long and they still have 7 seats. Just need to make sure it's a sport model with full leather, even though I love the interior on the smax, think its too much of a bus looking.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 07 October 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07 October 2012, 09:44 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate but IMO I disagree on the stylish department, everybody has diffrent taste, and driving French cars is a disappointment IMO, they maybe be reliable scince back in the day, Ive looked at a lot of mpvs and not French car looks good tbh, even the Hondas look poor

I hope so lol.
Speaking with missus today and seeing a few of smax's they look very long, so think the touran may win us as it dosent look too long and they still have 7 seats. Just need to make sure it's a sport model with full leather, even though I love the interior on the smax, think its too much of a bus looking.
No problem mate, each to their own.

I just have too many bad memories of driving dodgy VW's and their pompous dealers.

Good luck with whatever you buy.
Old 07 October 2012, 10:01 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I just have too many bad memories of driving dodgy VW's and their pompous dealers.

I agree entirely only used to jap cars that have been good to me plus a few German ones but no good people carriers, think most of these cars have problems of some sort and then there are some that don't, think its just pot luck that their a good un in the begining.
I'll have to have them thoroughly checked over prior to sale tbh
Just don't want to buy missus a car and constantly worry about things going wrong, I want to just buy her a car and forget about it so I can concentrate in buying my new beast
Old 07 October 2012, 11:46 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Interesting comment. Why do you call them pompous?

Quick Reply: Good Mpv people carrier