Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Original Mini Cooper Sport? After some advice??

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2012, 06:03 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Original Mini Cooper Sport? After some advice??

Evening all....

My mum has been ill for some time now, and her beloved Mini cooper sport has been SORN for 6-8 months and following 2 operations to remove cancerous lumps from her neck, she has been advised not to drive any more (she's proper gutted ).

She's asked me to sell her car on her behalf to save her getting upset, and apart from having driven mini's like this since I was young, I don't actually know to much about them?
I'm sure there are loads of forums to advertise it on, but my question is which one is the 'main' mini forum? Does anybody have a clue?? Looking on the net/autotrader is a mine field to try and price it! Some are priced at 2.5k others 8k...its bonkers!!!

A real gem, that really will be sadly missed

Any advice to aid my approach to sell it would be greatly received
Old 27 June 2012, 06:36 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Pistonheads has a fairly high turnover on classic Minis, might be worth a go.

As for how much to sell it for, I would find a couple of similar ones and use that price plus 10% for haggle room.

Cheers

Ian
Old 27 June 2012, 09:32 PM
ADV.
Scooby Regular

Try theminiforum for advice on price and sale.

Is it full or half leather?

Miles?

The twin point are normally around the £5,000 for decent miles.

Lots of pics and be ready for everyone to ask about the sills, wings, windscreen scuttle, rear subframe etc for rust.
Old 27 June 2012, 10:58 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Thanks for the advice, Ill check out 'theminiforum' and have a look there.

What does 'twin point' mean? How would I tell if it was one or not???

Its full leather BTW, and done 36,500 miles and is in good condition (not mint as it does have a few spots of rust in some of the areas you mentioned). I think a fair price would be around £3/3.5k for it, but don't know if thats low or high really! Seems to be middle of the road given the spec/miles/condition of those I've seen
Old 28 June 2012, 12:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think he means twin injectors. Or twin point injection or to put it better; Multipoint Injection.

All Minis have two inlet ports (i.e twin ports)..They've been like that since the 1950s (sometimes called siamesed inlet ports....one port feeds air to two cylinders).

Early injected Minis had one injector (single point - SPi). Later ones had two (multipoint - MPi )...one in each port. The latter is preferred. Although technically the advantage of two injectors over one is very minimal as its still a simultaneous injected engine (not sequential like that of most injected cars from the 1990's onwards..i.e such as that found on a 1993 Mondeo).

The benefits actually come from the other mods made to the engine during the same period; Namely coilpack ignition (DIS - Distributorless ignition), better cooling (radiator at the front), alternator, emissions, drive belts (ribbed serpentine) etc.

Anyhoo, as for value. To be frank it purely based on condition. These things rust like they were sprayed with saltwater everyday. So if not rustproofed regulaly, will rot - badly. I know a guy with one of the last coopers built off the production line thats only done 10K miles... and as well cared for as it is, its a rot box because it was never waxoyled. I also know of some guys with a pair of Downton sports (the dogs danglies of minis) and these despite having no-expense spared are a struggle to keep rot free .

As a result, a mint rot free SPi Mini or even a Mini City could be worth more than a rotting MPi Cooper. IYSWIM.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 June 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 28 June 2012, 07:21 PM
chris666
Scooby Regular

This belongs to a bloke i used to do some work for
he told me it was the last off the line 0 miles & unregested