Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

vauxhall zafira gsi

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2012, 07:06 AM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vauxhall zafira gsi

as above anyone know much about these good points/bad points etc things to look out for 04 plate in arden blue 80'000 miles
Old 14 June 2012, 02:18 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

We have had one for the past 6 years. in Black 56K miles 03 plate and only now thinking about selling, and only for something a bit better on petrol.

Been a great car to us, and had no issues with it, other than general maintenance and servicing, its cost us nothing in that time apart from a maf sensor for £115. The kids love it as it has a drop down DVD/TV at rear and TV in head unit up front.

Only issue that they seem to suffer from is boost surge, and sometimes can be a little hesitant on light throttle, but it's a case of they all do that sir. MAF sensors are weak and look identical to the MY99 subaru ones. Front drop links need replacing every year or so, but are cheap and easy to do.

Plenty of power as stock but can be stage 1 DIY remapped to about 230bhp with a galletto. I remaped mine, but put back to stock as the extra power was pointless in the family car, and just made traction in first and 2nd worse.

Handling isn't confidence inspiring, and not really up to the spec of even standard performance, and fuel consumption isn't much better than a UK scoob.

I have a box of spares I have accumalted over time, Coil pack, plugs, map sensor, boost control solenoids, but have never needed them, which sais allot about the car. Perhaps I've been lucky, but good cars for what they are

Not much bigger than an astra, yet I can seat 5 of us in comfort with more space than a 5 series in side, and still a big boot for luggage, and the extra 2 fold away seats in the rear have proved useful time and time again.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 14 June 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 14 June 2012, 05:47 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Sold mine last year, loved it to bits for what it was !
Everything as said above, BUT, at the mileage your looking at it could well be coming up on a turbo, and is due a Cambelt, tensioners, water pump @80000.

If you take it for a road test, find a nice long hill, boot it at the top, then coast along in gear until your at the bottom, then boot again, Smoke, the it's due valve stem seals, and possibly guides, they ALL need them around that sort of mileage.

Again as above, their mappable from home, just a case of flashing a new map onto it, but expect a shed load of torque steer.

As its basically an Astra parts are readily available at fair prices, but beware of a couple of really expensive parts that I came across,
Standard exhaust back box is nearly £250, and the little plastic trims that run the length of the car, from bottom of windscreen , across the roof to the tailgate on both sides are £248 per side!

Other than that their not bad, and you can have a little fun in them, the z20 let is a pretty good tuneable motor
Old 14 June 2012, 10:22 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

ok cheers for that guys it's got full stage 1 remap it's had cambelt and water pump replaced at 50000 and 79000 and a sportex 3" twin exhaust will see what it looks like at the weekend
Old 17 June 2012, 04:56 AM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

update
seen it drove it left it there looked nice and clean but that was it really didn't like the handling at all
Old 17 June 2012, 10:41 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzreid1964
update
seen it drove it left it there looked nice and clean but that was it really didn't like the handling at all
Would agree handling is shocking for a 2.0 ltr turbo car. It leans far to much and a standard car would inspire confidence in the corners more. They do have progressive springs, so after a point they do firm up but you loose confidence to push on, long before you reach that point.

I keep meaning to treat myself to some firmer fixed rate springs and possibly Billies, but then keep reminding myself its just the family hack and not a sports cars, and got my car for thrills.