Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

350z 0r s2000?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2012, 07:11 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 350z 0r s2000?

i been thinking about getting rid of my type r for something newer like a s2000 or 350z so what would u guys choose and why?
i know there gonna feel like they dont move compared to my 380 bhp type r but need a change.
cheers rob
Old 24 April 2012, 07:23 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...you'll regret it...

I looked at both, the S2000 while considered a proper sports car, is also a high revver to get anywhere. I owned an Integra Type R for a month - 5.8K to get it going...

The 350 is a heavy, not much fun slouch, especially compared to your Type R
Old 24 April 2012, 08:29 PM
cjquicksilver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 350z drank fuel and cost a fortune to mod and there not easy to mod and work on at all!
s2000 i havnt owned but would love to as i love the vtec engines from when i had my b16a sir2 jdm civic n i loved that engine
Old 24 April 2012, 09:56 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

S2000 for me out of those two. More manic and more fun. 350z is more for lazy cruising.
Old 24 April 2012, 10:37 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

could search out a supercharged s2k......

not had the pleasure personally, but go to be more fun than the 350, wasn't keen personally

read on here a few times that the honda just needed more grunt
Old 25 April 2012, 12:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
i been thinking about getting rid of my type r for something newer like a s2000 or 350z so what would u guys choose and why?
i know there gonna feel like they dont move compared to my 380 bhp type r but need a change.
cheers rob
What's your Budget?

Instead of a 350Z, try a 370Z. Much better car, and faster too. I had a GT spec Coupe.

Faster than my old 2005 STI PPP. Looks better too. Comes fully loaded with climate control, cruise, heated seats, Bose sound etc.

Try getting one with the optional sat-nav.

Good cars, and not many around.

Last edited by stilover; 25 April 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 25 April 2012, 04:39 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

not enough for a 370z would be case of selling my type r and adding money. i like the idea of the comfy cruising car with lots of torque where as the s2000 u gotta really rag the crap out of to get it moving . but ment to be great on track and really good on fuel. i hear the 350z ain t to bad at all and 30 mpg on a run ? i dunno such diff cars really i dont no what i want lol . Mate works at honda and said i wont like the s2k after my type r to slow lol
Old 25 April 2012, 05:27 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

S2000 all the way if it was me. More of a drivers car imo
A supercharger or turbo fitted would be awesome
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-O4oA6egeo
Old 26 April 2012, 08:01 AM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
not enough for a 370z would be case of selling my type r and adding money. i like the idea of the comfy cruising car with lots of torque where as the s2000 u gotta really rag the crap out of to get it moving . but ment to be great on track and really good on fuel. i hear the 350z ain t to bad at all and 30 mpg on a run ? i dunno such diff cars really i dont no what i want lol . Mate works at honda and said i wont like the s2k after my type r to slow lol
You'll get into the 30s on a long motorway run, but around town you'll see low 20s. A mixture of town and A roads has seen an average of 23 mpg.

There's three version of the 350Z, the early DE engines produced 276bhp, the 2006 facelift DE got a couple of minor changes which sees 296bhp as standard but is more free revving and more mid-range torque then the HR engine got 309bhp and an 80% new engine.

The HR's are easy to spot in that they have the bonnet bulge and twin air intakes but both the facelift and HR models are double the tax of the pre-facelifts.

If you want to throw in a charger, there are some good examples of both turbo'd and supercharged 350Z's running some silly power about too...
Old 26 April 2012, 04:22 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

hmm turbo s2000 . Has any one drove both cars?
ilogical have u drove the earlyer one i would prob get 04 plate ?
Old 26 April 2012, 06:13 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

I've got a 55 plate, pre-facelift GT. I did test drive a facelift version but I've never driven a HR engined one.
The difference between the facelift and pre-facelift in terms of real life depends on how you drive really. i.e. round town it'll be barely noticeable (if all) but it is nice to have the extra mid-range on motorways and A/B roads.

I've just noticed you mentioned about the track in a previous post. I'd have to say the 350Z isn't the best choice for a track car - it's heavy so will eat tyres and brakes, neither of which are exactly cheap. The S2000 would be the better of the two for that. The 350Z is more of a quick GT car than an outright sports car as such - even the non-GT spec.

As someone mentioned before, they're not easy to get any extra power from without going forced induction... which isn't cheap. However, you can improve the mid-range on the pre-facelift with a plenum spacer and remap.

If you've got any questions, ask away. There's also plenty of info over here.

I can't help at all on the S2000 front though.
Old 26 April 2012, 06:20 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ilogikal1
A mixture of town and A roads has seen an average of 23 mpg.
There's meant to be a "in mine" at the end of that sentence which I appear to have forgotten to actually type earlier.
Old 26 April 2012, 06:29 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help mate. How it compare to scoob? It wouldnt be all out track car just ocasional sprint
Old 26 April 2012, 06:52 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

No worries. It's a completely differently car to the scoob so it's difficult to compare them directly - that and I had a 2 year gap between the scoob and the Datsun. The power delivery in the Z so much more linear, it's very easy to not notice just how you're actually travelling because it doesn't feel quick. It's one of those cars that you feel like you're doing 50 only to look at the speedo and see you're actually doing 100.

Being ~300bhp and RWD, it's a much more involved drive when pushing on. In the scoob you can get on the power early coming out of a corner, you need to be more subtle with the Z... which brings me to the traction control. Never turn the traction control off when the tyres are cold and the road is wet!!

I find the interior of the Z is a nice place to be, the leather seats in the GT models are obscenely comfortable but the dash is typical Japanese. Long drives aren't an issue, even being sat in the same place for several hours I've never felt uncomfortable at all whereas the scoob I'd start to feel it after a couple of hours.

the clutch is quite heavy, but no more so than the uprated clutch I had in my scoob so that never really bothered me, personally. There's a lot of feel through the peddles and steering wheel though and I feel very connected to the car when driving it.

I'd recommend test driving a couple and see how you get on with them.

If you drive do one and find 2nd gear is a clunky, that's quite normal especially when cold. Fresh oil and molyslip help with that but it never totally goes away.
Old 26 April 2012, 07:43 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

sounds like perfect car see i do like my comfort lol comfort and speed is what i want the s2k sounds like to much effort to get going. anything gonna feel slow now my car is rapid only got mapped to 380 last month and still not use to it lol.
Old 26 April 2012, 08:48 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

For comfort, you definitely want to be looking for a car with the GT pack; electric, heated leather seats, "Bose" stereo, amp and speakers, bluetooth/cruise control on the steering wheel, Brembo brakes, etc. I'm sure the seats in mine are more comfortable than my sofa at home.
Also look out for cars with the RAYS alloys on, the standard 18's (17's on lower spec JDM's) weight a **** load in comparison!

Speaking of the Bose system, which is the epitome of modern technology (it still has a tape player ), it's a 6 disc changer/tape/radio. There's no iPod connection as standard but a popular mod is iPod "hack" from the tape deck (as detailed on the forum mentioned above). The CD is known to skip when ambient temperature's are cold, but there's and easy fix to that - again on the above forum. Or you could just replace the head unit, of course.

The boot is... minimal, to say the least, but there's enough room for two golf bags (and a sticker to show how to get them both in ). If you're not a golfist, there's plenty of room for the weekly shop and there's cubbyholes all over the place. I don't tend to have much more than is needed in my car (unlike my ex who would hoard everything in her car in case there was an apocalypse or something ) so I've never had any problems. And it does provide the opportunity to confuse passengers by asking them to get something out of the glove box for you (you'll understand that when you see where the glove boxes are).

I do miss the scooby burble occasionally, but the V6 soon put paid to that. You might be able to tell, I really quite like the 350Z - I could go on but I feel I've bored you enough for now.

It is a bloody gorgeous car though ;

Old 28 April 2012, 09:02 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

that is very nice z in deed i want blue ,black or maybe orange dont want that grey that everyone has lol. U sure u dont want a nice silver ,teeth shattering type r but it does what its built for rip your face off lol
Old 28 April 2012, 09:36 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I part owned one with the boy for nearly 3years
Fuel consumption very heavy averaged 22-24pmg
80 to fill up tank for 230 miles
Big cost is the rear tyres at £160 each for the back and they only lasted 10-12k miles
Fronts lasted 24k miles and were cheaper at £130 each for pirrellis

Reliability excellent servicing
P1 service £160 basically oil filter change
P2 big service was £300
Had to replace the discs £260 for the fronts and pads were £100 pair
Got them through a 350z group buy
Local dealer wanted £800
Clutch was due for replacement and would of been £650
Diff makes funny noises which was a £300 fix common problems on 350z
Needed to replace window motor on passenger side £250
Front splitter gets really covered with stone chips £100 to repaint and the bonnet and roof was very bad for stone chips due to the shape
Quality of fixture and fittings very good
We ran it from 22k -57k miles over nearly 3years
We had a 54 modle on private plates paid 16k and sold it in march for £7100 and it took 6 months to sell despite it being excellent condition as you would expect by myself think the colour silver was the reason it did not fetch much interest
Black leather interior was top knotch
Performance good but cornering was poor and basically the car was a disaster in the wet I have a regular test route of 14 miles for our er ...spirited runs in the countryside I once left the 350z for dust by a whopping 2minutes over 12 minute blast as it was just no good on the corners although was as fast as my classic on the straights and traffic light grand prix were a waste of time with excessiive wheel spins which was expensive on tyres
So not a lot going for it on the positive side apart from the noise and of course the looks
When you have a car as good looking as this you don't need to drive fast as it does turn heads going slow

Would I recomend it
To be honest NO think the Honda s2000 is a more interesting car or the Mazda mx5 as a better drivers car and it will not keep up with a Subaru but it looks fantastic but is very expensive to run and you can only get one suitcase in the back

Got to admit it looked fantastic though and the boy pulled the birds driving a car like this !

We sold it because the boy has just moved to Australia before Xmas and has allready got a Holden 3.8 muscle car and says it handles better then the 350z

Old 28 April 2012, 09:40 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

350z is a great looking car noise ,the looks it has got it
The silver colour just did not do anything for me if it had been the yellow it the bronze orange colour or eventhe bright blue
You can pick them up for little money now
Old 28 April 2012, 09:45 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

hmm interesting getting slightly put off now i wanted half good handling . hmm the silver or grey s just dont look best on these . i do want more modern car but there s nothing that will handle and deliver like my type r i went out with 2 mates last night and all they kept saying is u wont be happy with anything u get now after my scoob for power .
Old 28 April 2012, 09:50 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

i know what u saying its alot of car for the money compared to a s2000 u dont get alot no brembos,sat nav,heated seats,cruise,bose ect
Im more concerned about how i hear that it has such lil power til u come on cam
Old 28 April 2012, 10:49 AM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

As Lord Harding says, in the wet you have to be more careful in the corners, how much depends largely on the tyres - the standard RE040's truly are useless! I've got Falkens on mine and it's only on really spirited runs in the wet that the car almost succeeds in overtaking itself - the traction control will keep it in check, but at the same time slow you down a fair bit too, and it's only when I've had the TC turned on off in the wet and with cold tyres that it's nearly gone very wrong. In the dry, with the TC switched off, I found it a much more fun, involved drive than my scoob, albeit arriving slightly later. They are absolutely useless in the snow though, winter tyres are a must with these really.
It's certainly not going to keep up with the scoob, especially a fettled classic. As I've said before, the 350Z is quick GT cruiser more than anything else.

Lord Harding's costs are pretty much spot on, the only thing he's not mentioned is a spark plug change which is circa every 50k, with the right contacts and doing it yourself they can be done for ~£50 but a garage will add at least another £100 for doing it for you (and a dealer twice that for the labour and thrice that for the plugs themselves).
Genuine window motors can be obtained for £180, but they often just need cleaning up rather than replacing when they do go wrong. It's supposed to be an easy job but I've not had the issue to do this myself.
P1 services are just oil & filter change and a straight forward DIY if you're not bothered about the stamp.
There's also a P3 service, which is a P2 but costs more. It's not needed on the 350 as the additional items between the P2 and P3 aren't present on that car, but it's in the service manual anyway.
The service schedule pretty much alternates between P1 and P2 with an unnecessary P3 thrown in after every other P2.

I would tend to agree with everything else LH has said though.

The sat nav in the Datsun is an option as well, by the way. The early Birdview nav is supposed to be okay (no postcode search is the only regular gripe) but an update CD (it was DVD later on, I can't remember when it changed though) is nigh on impossible to get hold of (even from dealers) and it'll cost you a pair of tyres IF you can find one! The DVD is easier to find but still expensive. Hardwiring an after-market sat nav into the centre cubby really isn't that big a job though.

To be honest you really need to go an drive both a 350Z and an S2000 to see which, if either, suits you best.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:23 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

S2000 its honda and bulletproof better on fuel i think also