Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Not sure whether I should sell my RS4 or keep..

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2012, 02:01 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure whether I should sell my RS4 or keep..

Guys I'm in a real dilemma here. I know my car isn't a Scooby but I moved on some time ago and hoping for some good advice from this community. After all, we're all petrol heads with a passion for our motors!

My last car was a 350Z, and although it looked good and was fun in the wet around the islands, it lacked power and in the end I sold it after just 2 years...
I've since been driving a B7 RS4 saloon and now coming up to 3 years ownsrhip. The car is an 07 with 45k on the clock. I love this car but just concious on the thing approaching 5 years old.. Wish it was still new
Also If I sell it now, I feel it may simply remain at the same value for the next couple of years, albeit drop slightly but not at the same rate as it did in the last year or so..
So there is a financial thing to consider.
However there are so many other good cars out there that I can't help but scratch my itch..

Cars I've tested so far:

BMW 1M
Amazing car with great steering, power and agility. Rear drive has always felt good to me and I love the power and, surprisingly, the sound these cars make.
Downside is the current values are still high due to low volume. I guess residuals will be pretty solid for a while.
I'm also not 100% sure on the looks but they're certainly different and I favour the driver involvement over looks anyway

Audi TT-RS
Sadly this was a convertable version so I can only comment on how this felt.
The test drive was in the pouring rain but I got no sense of power (as I did from the 1M) and the steering was awful. My RS4 is lots better.
Interior is amazing but this alone does not sell it for me. Shame as I was hoping for more driver involvement.

I now have my eyes on an M3 with Competition pack. I've not yet test drove one but I'm sold on one with a DCT as manuals appear very rare..
Anyone had experience with one?
Will it be much different to my RS? Granted the rear drive is a bonus but I'm not sure it will make the same great noise as mine..

Opinions please.

Thanks

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 19 March 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 19 March 2012, 02:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Both downgrade on your RS4, keep the RS4
Old 19 March 2012, 02:07 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What he said
Old 19 March 2012, 02:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

p.s 45k and 3 yers old is rapidly approaching just about being run in on a german car,,,,,,,

i have an e39 5 series 97 plate with 127k on it and other than odd thing like battery, suspension going soft it is still going like a trooper without showing signs of crying enough, i expect it will crack 200k without too many difficulties.
Old 19 March 2012, 02:42 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the e90 with the evolve backbox. Sounds better than any RS4
Old 19 March 2012, 02:47 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

How about an Audi RS3?
Old 19 March 2012, 02:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the RS4 IMHO. What put me off one was lack of performance (had to rev to the red line to make quick progress, rather than having the option to rev to the red line to make outrageous progress in say an E60 M5, or just tickle the throttle in a GTR to make outrageous performance without trying) and potential FSI disease where the power would diminish with time. However, I loved the chassis, noise, interior etc. OTOH, the performance is probably much better matched to road use in that you can actually hang onto WOT for a reasonable time and enjoy revving it out, and if you don't suffer FSI disease and like the car then keep it, especially compared to those alternatives.

If you like it, consider checking how carbonised the intake valves are, deal with it and make it a keeper?
Old 19 March 2012, 04:24 PM
Graeme_Curley_STI
Scooby Regular

My bro picked up an RS4 cab from Perth Audi only a couple of weeks ago, 07 plate with only 3300 miles on it! What a bit of kit! Once you push that sport button, the purr!! Awesome!! Keep it!! Or sell me it!!

BMW- think its a bit pricey
TT- do you cut hair for a living?
Old 19 March 2012, 05:22 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graeme_Curley_STI
TT- do you cut hair for a living?
You mention that yet in the same paragraph talk about an RS4 cab? Audi 4 series cab’s are one of the campest convertibles out there imho.
Old 19 March 2012, 05:27 PM
hami192
Scooby Newbie

It must be a hard choice! What about the RS6?
Old 19 March 2012, 05:36 PM
Graeme_Curley_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
You mention that yet in the same paragraph talk about an RS4 cab? Audi 4 series cab’s are one of the campest convertibles out there imho.
Lol!! True, but my bros a ***!!
Old 19 March 2012, 05:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Agh that's my next car b7 rs4 avant.
Have u had any problems with the suspension as I've heard of common problems, would it be wise to change to blistering or kws to get rid of problem
Cheers
Old 19 March 2012, 06:20 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The 2 cars you specified would be a step down and not worthwhile IMHO. What do you need from the car? How many seats? 2+2 an option?
Old 19 March 2012, 07:53 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

What am I missing with the fact you guys are saying the newer m3 with the dct box is a step down from an rs4! Please can someone explain why
Old 19 March 2012, 08:11 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Keep the RS4 !!

Don't go for the TT-RS. The RS3 is the better option.

I do like the 1M. And given different circumstances, I might have bought one.

What's your budget?
You could pick up an R8 for about £50k. Maybe a bit less.
Old 19 March 2012, 08:35 PM
Vtec-Abuser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
What am I missing with the fact you guys are saying the newer m3 with the dct box is a step down from an rs4! Please can someone explain why
Ditto

Also, if you he didn't like the TTRS then he certainly won't like the RS3. Far less driver involvement and very numb to drive. A good all-rounder no doubt, but a drivers tool it is not..

Last edited by Vtec-Abuser; 19 March 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 19 March 2012, 09:12 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Keep the RS4 IMHO. What put me off one was lack of performance (had to rev to the red line to make quick progress, rather than having the option to rev to the red line to make outrageous progress in say an E60 M5, or just tickle the throttle in a GTR to make outrageous performance without trying)
John.

The RS4 is a sports Saloon car. Nothing more nothing less. It's aimed at taking 4 people in comfort but at silly speeds if required. Once it's stopped going quickly, it can go to the shops, take Granny to the doctors etc, and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb like a Scooby or Evo would.

It's not aimed at Supercar slaying like the GT-R is.

Why do all your post always compare what the OP is considering buying to the Bl00dy GT-R. We know you've got one, we get it !!

Oh, I'm thinking about buying a Golf for the missus. What do you think? Not as fast as the `MY` GT-R.

Oh, I'm thinking about buying a Ferrari because I've saved enough money and want to treat myself. What do you think to the 458?
Huh, you could buy 3 GT-R's for that !! Or buy one and tune it to 1Million BHP and beat the 458 into submission. You can even bore the local bike with witty stories of downloading your last journey to see what G you pulled round the local Tesco roundabout.

Your getting as bad as LeoRS with his bl00dy TT-RS.
Old 19 March 2012, 09:52 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
John.

The RS4 is a sports Saloon car. Nothing more nothing less. It's aimed at taking 4 people in comfort but at silly speeds if required. Once it's stopped going quickly, it can go to the shops, take Granny to the doctors etc, and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb like a Scooby or Evo would.

It's not aimed at Supercar slaying like the GT-R is.

Why do all your post always compare what the OP is considering buying to the Bl00dy GT-R. We know you've got one, we get it !!

Oh, I'm thinking about buying a Golf for the missus. What do you think? Not as fast as the `MY` GT-R.

Oh, I'm thinking about buying a Ferrari because I've saved enough money and want to treat myself. What do you think to the 458?
Huh, you could buy 3 GT-R's for that !! Or buy one and tune it to 1Million BHP and beat the 458 into submission. You can even bore the local bike with witty stories of downloading your last journey to see what G you pulled round the local Tesco roundabout.

Your getting as bad as LeoRS with his bl00dy TT-RS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/...3r_640_360.jpg

Old 19 March 2012, 10:02 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Agh that's my next car b7 rs4 avant.
Have u had any problems with the suspension as I've heard of common problems, would it be wise to change to blistering or kws to get rid of problem
Cheers
I had the DRC renewed about 18 months ago. No problems since, although I will be getting it checked before the extended 5 year warranty is up. Blimey that's just reminded me.. Warranty expires 22 May

I am also aware of the coking up problem with the valves. I will consider having her opened up for inspection/clean later in the year if I decide to keep.

Keep them coming. Need more info on the E92 M3 if anyone has experience?

thanks

Nick
Old 19 March 2012, 10:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A bit excitable aren't we stilover? You honestly have me totally wrong, I'm perhaps a little enthusiastic about some cars, but in no way wedded to one brand or think my choices should be forced on others.

GTRs always put lesser machines in their place. (that seriously is not my opinion). I'm pleased to have one, but it is no way a source of showing off, it is not special enough for that as it is a working man's achievable giant slayer, a bit of a grown up Subaru or Mitsubishi for me. Most people think it is a 350Z and consider it nowhere near as special as a 3 series BMW and I like the reverse snobbery of that.

It is other marques and I had an opinion about some of the other marques mentioned and putting it into context with the other options. You quoted me out of context, when I was encouraging him to keep it as I thought it holds up well compared to the other options. Insane performance is not everything and you'll see I don't believe it is when you consider all that I wrote. On many occasions I'd rather have an RS4 than a GTR where I think it would flow better on narrower roads whereas the GTR can be too brutal.

I also don't see the artificial divide between saloons and coupes, or the number of seats, and the original poster seems happy to swap between numbers of doors, body style and number of seats from the cars he's discussing.

Since you asked for an opinion on a Golf, you don't have to look far in my posts to see my opinion on the Mk 5 GTI which we've had for six years, but maybe you're trying to be ironic as a few people think I go on about how unreliable they are, but for balance, nothing has gone wrong with it for about 2-3 years now. The big points for me are the residual values are wonderful, but the ride quality on 18s is too firm for this sort of car. Balancing that, on the right back road it can be more fun than it should be.

And for the record, a 458 or an R8 would be lovely thanks. The looks, the noise, the throttle response would be delicious.

Is that better? Maybe I've got repetitive about other marques as I've not considered buying another car for a while and don't plan to until something breaks. I'll try to make sure I don't mention GTR for a few weeks to stop you frothing at the mouth with excitement at garbage written on the interwebs

I thought I as tightly coiled, it is nice to hear of someone who behaves more uptight than me, you've brought a smile to my face after another crazy day slaving away to pay for...
Old 19 March 2012, 11:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Keep the RS4 and still a Miltek on it. Free the noise!!

I was looking at the same options..... looking at an RS4 or..... a Porsche. This was the only thing I could thing of that is a step-UP from the RS....

As you're already there, keep the RS. Head over to RS246.com - they'll help you spend some money to revive the love-affair!!

Dan
Old 20 March 2012, 08:01 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Get a GT-R - whatever that is
Old 20 March 2012, 08:21 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
A bit excitable aren't we stilover? You honestly have me totally wrong, I'm perhaps a little enthusiastic about some cars, but in no way wedded to one brand or think my choices should be forced on others.

GTRs always put lesser machines in their place. (that seriously is not my opinion). I'm pleased to have one, but it is no way a source of showing off, it is not special enough for that as it is a working man's achievable giant slayer, a bit of a grown up Subaru or Mitsubishi for me. Most people think it is a 350Z and consider it nowhere near as special as a 3 series BMW and I like the reverse snobbery of that.

It is other marques and I had an opinion about some of the other marques mentioned and putting it into context with the other options. You quoted me out of context, when I was encouraging him to keep it as I thought it holds up well compared to the other options. Insane performance is not everything and you'll see I don't believe it is when you consider all that I wrote. On many occasions I'd rather have an RS4 than a GTR where I think it would flow better on narrower roads whereas the GTR can be too brutal.

I also don't see the artificial divide between saloons and coupes, or the number of seats, and the original poster seems happy to swap between numbers of doors, body style and number of seats from the cars he's discussing.

Since you asked for an opinion on a Golf, you don't have to look far in my posts to see my opinion on the Mk 5 GTI which we've had for six years, but maybe you're trying to be ironic as a few people think I go on about how unreliable they are, but for balance, nothing has gone wrong with it for about 2-3 years now. The big points for me are the residual values are wonderful, but the ride quality on 18s is too firm for this sort of car. Balancing that, on the right back road it can be more fun than it should be.

And for the record, a 458 or an R8 would be lovely thanks. The looks, the noise, the throttle response would be delicious.

Is that better? Maybe I've got repetitive about other marques as I've not considered buying another car for a while and don't plan to until something breaks. I'll try to make sure I don't mention GTR for a few weeks to stop you frothing at the mouth with excitement at garbage written on the interwebs

I thought I as tightly coiled, it is nice to hear of someone who behaves more uptight than me, you've brought a smile to my face after another crazy day slaving away to pay for...

The first part of my post was serious. You can't compare the RS4 with the GT-R. Throttle response is going to be less aggressive on the RS4, as it's a family Saloon car at the end of the day, although a sporty one at that. Yet the GT-R was designed & built to do one thing.......... beat the 911 Turbo.
Quick revs and aggressive throttle response are all part of that sporty attitude.

2 different animals, It's like comparing the throttle response and thirst for revs on the RS4 against a Fiesta ST !

As for the rest of the post? Well, maybe just a bit of fishing on my behalf to see if I'd catch a bite

Although you do go on about the GT-R quite a bit....
Old 20 March 2012, 09:36 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover

The first part of my post was serious. You can't compare the RS4 with the GT-R. Throttle response is going to be less aggressive on the RS4, as it's a family Saloon car at the end of the day, although a sporty one at that. Yet the GT-R was designed & built to do one thing.......... beat the 911 Turbo.
Quick revs and aggressive throttle response are all part of that sporty attitude.

2 different animals, It's like comparing the throttle response and thirst for revs on the RS4 against a Fiesta ST !

As for the rest of the post? Well, maybe just a bit of fishing on my behalf to see if I'd catch a bite

Although you do go on about the GT-R quite a bit....
Can you blame him? its a fantastic car!!!

Back to the topic.... budget and requirements are needed before the official "Subaru GTR onwers club" can officially recommend buying a GTR
Old 20 March 2012, 10:05 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
I think they were referring to the 1M and the TTRS.

I've just swapped my 335i for a E92 M3 and also have experience of a RS4 as 2 friends have owned them. The E9* M3 isn't a step down on the RS4 but the E46 is.

Both the RS4 have circa 420bhp and have decent interiors. The dct box is a peach as well
Old 20 March 2012, 10:08 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

If everyone's aim in life was for the quickest car for their budget the majority would all be driving around in a GTR. When I ordered my M3 I didn't even consider the GTR as awesome as the performance is with them.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:44 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
If everyone's aim in life was for the quickest car for their budget the majority would all be driving around in a GTR. When I ordered my M3 I didn't even consider the GTR as awesome as the performance is with them.

Jimpreza

What spec is your M3? Has it got the competition pack?

John B
I am actually a fan of the GT-R so I don't mind the debate on that. However, I'm not ready to step up to that level yet but maybe one day.
Awesome looking cars IMO but not had the pleasure of going in one...
I also like the 997 Porsche having driven a turbo (with autobox which I didn't really like), and a GT3 which was amazing. I'm ultimately aiming for GT3 but there's a few years to go for me just yet..

Nick
Old 20 March 2012, 02:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think the other reason I keep going on about them is that I spent far too much time working on the ECUs in the last few years, and it did fulfil most of the criteria I'd had for a car for years, so I maybe did get a bit obsessed.

If you're going for a GT3 ultimately, then depending on budget you might be best just working towards that and saving the depreciation on changing in the meantime? The right GT3 should be a very good heart and head purchase as well bought they perform really well for keeping value it seems.
Old 20 March 2012, 02:47 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Skoobidude - No competition pack, just DCT,19's, electric folding mirrors, privacy, media pack and heated seats. I don't collect it till next week and I can't wait.
Old 20 March 2012, 04:42 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I had the DRC renewed about 18 months ago. No problems since, although I will be getting it checked before the extended 5 year warranty is up. Blimey that's just reminded me.. Warranty expires 22 May

I am also aware of the coking up problem with the valves. I will consider having her opened up for inspection/clean later in the year if I decide to keep.

Keep them coming. Need more info on the E92 M3 if anyone has experience?

thanks

Nick
cheers for info, is that the exhaust valves, not a problem just spray some quality lube on em, seems to fix instead of forking out loads of cash to audi
yes the new m3 4-litre is an option but rear wheel drive but does good round a track, but depends on what u want? 2dr or 4dr, maybe look at jag xfr 5.0 v8 supercharged it's a beast my mates just bought one again rear wheel drive, he doesn't dare turn tc off it scares him.
But just to clarify what type of car are u lookin 2dr/coupe/5dr etc.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 20 March 2012 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Not sure whether I should sell my RS4 or keep..