Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Toyota IQ

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2012, 09:12 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota IQ

We are planning on changing the wife's Golf GT TDi to something smaller, more economical and hopefully road tax free and the IQ fits the bill in that respect.
Has anyone got one that can comment on what they're like to live with.
The Golf has one occupant 99% of the time so space isn't an issue, plus our other car is quite large and is used for the transporting of the family and dog.

Other than the IQ any other recommendations?
Looking for something a year or so old, gone off buying new.
Budget is the 2006 Golf GT TDi 170 plus a couple of grand or so.

Nik.
Old 21 January 2012, 10:34 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a word with Subarman on South East Scoobies.
Old 21 January 2012, 06:57 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Mate has an 11 plate, its well spec'd and gets great mpg. From memory he got 5 yr warranty n 3 yr services on it. Had the chance to drive it and couldn't fault it other than its a gutless engine but that's not the reason why your buying it. He had a vw fox before which I drove to and had a lot more grunt to it although no toys. Vw are realsing the new UP to replace the fox which might be something to look at
Old 21 January 2012, 09:16 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

The missus wanted one of these last year when she passed her test. We drove the 1 litre which IMO is dangerous. It had no pull on motorways and couldn't accelerate quickly enough to get out of junctions/onto roundabouts. Expensive to buy aswell. She ended up with a Fiat 500.
Old 21 January 2012, 09:30 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sat in one yesterday funnily enough - i am 6'4 and 15 stone and there was plenty of room for me. My Mrs has an Aygo which shares the same engine. Cheap as chips to run and the Aygos been pretty much spot on since weve owned it apart from a the starter motor which was changed. For a 1.0cc 3 cylinder i think its pretty nippy. Not sure of the fuel tank in the IQ but the Aygo cost £45 to fill up and we get around 400 miles to the tank all stop start town driving
Old 22 January 2012, 09:43 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I've read some good reviews on the net so we're off to test drive a couple this afternoon. Got an insurance quote yesterday and it came in at £149 compared to the £300 for the Golf, another saving.
Old 22 January 2012, 11:31 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimpreza
The missus wanted one of these last year when she passed her test. We drove the 1 litre which IMO is dangerous. It had no pull on motorways and couldn't accelerate quickly enough to get out of junctions/onto roundabouts. Expensive to buy aswell. She ended up with a Fiat 500.
Yeah agree but its not fitted with the biggest lump in the world, the fiat 500 is another nice choice, althought they have a bigger lump hence more guts
Old 22 January 2012, 12:22 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My daughter bought one this time last year, and she absolutely loves it

If there's no luggage involved, they can fit four in reasonably well, much better than some supposedly 'better' hatches. Treated as a two seater, there is plenty of room in the back for a week's worth of camping luggage

I would disagree with most of that to be honest, I've driven my daughters a few times. It's very nimble, and thanks to the gearing I find it easily gets itself up to 30-40mph from junctions and roundabouts, and seems to be able to hold the pace of traffic on NSL dual carriageways. Driving at anything over 55mph does reflect in the economy though. Their short wheelbase and square sides do make them a bit twitchy in crosswinds, but not to the point of being scary.

If you buy one at list price they probably are expensive, but as with any other Toyota, massive discounts are available if you haggle, and buy at the right time, you definitely can't say that about the 500
Old 22 January 2012, 03:58 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Just bought a white 10 plate with 8k miles and 3 years and 4 months warranty(remainder of the 5 year).
Old 23 January 2012, 09:41 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I now challenge you to look at it and not think it looks like a stormtroopers helmet

Got a 59 plate from new, and have been extremely pleased with it for the last 24k miles. Is very happy at speed (80mph cruising), and accelerates well for its displacement, although a heavy foot does take big bites out of the economy.

The manual is IME much more economical than the CVT, and my worst tank in the manual being just under 50mpg and my best being over 70mpg. A fill up is usually around 25l (it only has a 32l tank), and it is very well equipped for its size.

3 adults plus some small luggage (eg overnight bags) are no problem - 4 is a squeeze with a tall driver and leaves no luggage spare. With only 2 a week's shop can be easily swallowed, and we've had some surprisingly large things in the back of ours!

If the rear seats aren't being used often, I would leave them folded down - it improves rear visibility, and you can store the headrests under the passenger and rear seats in case you do need to make use of them while out and about.

No such thing as a blind spot - you can see cars out of the side window while they're still visible in the mirror! Turning radius is so small a black cab would be envious (yes, it is tighter than the taxi), and steering is very light.

They're meant to be very safe with loads of airbags, and I have to say I think they'd be an excellent choice for a new driver or a general family runabout.
Old 23 January 2012, 10:26 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
My daughter bought one this time last year, and she absolutely loves it

If there's no luggage involved, they can fit four in reasonably well, much better than some supposedly 'better' hatches. Treated as a two seater, there is plenty of room in the back for a week's worth of camping luggage

I would disagree with most of that to be honest, I've driven my daughters a few times. It's very nimble, and thanks to the gearing I find it easily gets itself up to 30-40mph from junctions and roundabouts, and seems to be able to hold the pace of traffic on NSL dual carriageways. Driving at anything over 55mph does reflect in the economy though. Their short wheelbase and square sides do make them a bit twitchy in crosswinds, but not to the point of being scary.

If you buy one at list price they probably are expensive, but as with any other Toyota, massive discounts are available if you haggle, and buy at the right time, you definitely can't say that about the 500
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, not worth argiung about really as they are both **** cars that are just for A-B driving. When flooring them at any thing above 60 the needle goes as quickly as the minute hand on my watch . I couldn't get past a lorry coming up a sliproad on the test drive.

You can get discounts on the Fiat 500 and the wifes 1.2 worked out a lot cheaper than the equivalet IQ, has more space and didn't rattle as much inside. The wife isn't the best driver so the main requisite was that she could drive it without stalling all the time .
Old 23 January 2012, 01:37 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

You did well then, ask a Fiat dealer round here if there are any discounts available and they just laugh at you

They're both pretty good wimmins cars, I wouldn't fancy a long journey in either, I like a bit more steel around me
Old 23 January 2012, 02:04 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

We'll agree on the long journeys . If she does go on a dual carriage way run the mpg drops, she gets miles better mpg around town doing 5 miles a day then doing 80mph.
Old 23 January 2012, 05:39 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The one we bought pulls out of junctions and roundabouts ok, we must be lighter

Old 23 January 2012, 06:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
I now challenge you to look at it and not think it looks like a stormtroopers helmet

Thought it reminded me of something.

Got a 59 plate from new, and have been extremely pleased with it for the last 24k miles. Is very happy at speed (80mph cruising), and accelerates well for its displacement, although a heavy foot does take big bites out of
the economy.

Our's will mainly be used around town so it will be mainly 30-40mph journeys.

The manual is IME much more economical than the CVT, and my worst tank in the manual being just under 50mpg and my best being over 70mpg. A fill up is usually around 25l (it only has a 32l tank), and it is very well equipped for its size.

Ours is a manual. Your worst mpg is nearly ten mpg better than the Golf gets, usually hovers around 42.

3 adults plus some small luggage (eg overnight bags) are no problem - 4 is a squeeze with a tall driver and leaves no luggage spare. With only 2 a week's shop can be easily swallowed, and we've had some surprisingly large things in the back of ours!

If the rear seats aren't being used often, I would leave them folded down - it improves rear visibility, and you can store the headrests under the passenger and rear seats in case you do need to make use of them while out and about.

The majority of journeys will solo occupant thaerefore space isn't a problem but good point about leaving the rear seats down for shopping etc.

No such thing as a blind spot - you can see cars out of the side window while they're still visible in the mirror! Turning radius is so small a black cab would be envious (yes, it is tighter than the taxi), and steering is very light.

They're meant to be very safe with loads of airbags, and I have to say I think they'd be an excellent choice for a new driver or a general family runabout.
They have an NCAP 5 star rating so i don't see a problem with regards to safety, not many cars have nine airbags.

We paid 7900 for a July 2010 IQ2 with 8k miles and over 3 years of warrany which i don't think is too bad for the money.

Nik
Old 23 January 2012, 06:47 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
The one we bought pulls out of junctions and roundabouts ok, we must be lighter
The wife only weighs 8.5 stone, me however ...........................

Yeh u probably are lighter
Old 23 January 2012, 06:55 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Hey mate, im a toyota technician so spend a fair bit of time working on them and driving them...anything specific you wanna know drop me a PM
Old 23 January 2012, 07:51 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Pick it up on Thursday so when/if anything crops up i might drop you a line.
Thanks
Nik

Originally Posted by djandyg
Hey mate, im a toyota technician so spend a fair bit of time working on them and driving them...anything specific you wanna know drop me a PM
Old 27 January 2012, 07:43 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

PM sent.

Originally Posted by djandyg
Old 28 January 2012, 09:31 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Picked the car up on Thursday night and the wife is very happy with it however i'm not 100%.
I took it for a quick spin lastnight and the first thing i noticed was the high bite point on the clutch to the point where the pedal is almost completely released, this made me think badly worn clutch.
I've called RMB this morning and was advised this was normal on an IQ, i wasn't convinced so they've agreed to take a look at it.
Can anyone who's driven one comment about bite the bite point?
I'm assuming my consumer rights etc will result in a free replacement if its found to be badly worn bearing in mind we've only had the car 2 days.
Nik.
Old 28 January 2012, 04:36 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Picked the car up on Thursday night and the wife is very happy with it however i'm not 100%.
I took it for a quick spin lastnight and the first thing i noticed was the high bite point on the clutch to the point where the pedal is almost completely released, this made me think badly worn clutch.
I've called RMB this morning and was advised this was normal on an IQ, i wasn't convinced so they've agreed to take a look at it.
I'm assuming my consumer rights etc will result in a free replacement if its found to be badly worn bearing in mind we've only had the car 2 days.
Nik.
My Missus found it very hard to feel the biting point and kept stalling on her test drive.
Old 30 January 2012, 10:02 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Nik.
What you could do is take another manual IQ out from a dealer and see if that's the same?
Old 30 January 2012, 10:04 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Beef
What you could do is take another manual IQ out from a dealer and see if that's the same?
Yup, my thoughts exactly.
Old 30 January 2012, 12:50 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The bite point on my wifes Peugeot 107(same as the aygo) is very high, both on the old and new clutch that we recently had fitted. Seems to be a common issue with these cars.

Personally, I hate the 107. You sit 'on' it rather than 'in' it, the steering has no feel whatsoever and the wind noise is, in my opinion, is unacceptable when comparing it to other new cars. Ok, the IQ may be different, but C1/Aygo/107/IQ all share very similar under-pinnings. My wife loves it, as it only costs her £20 to tax and will always return at least 50mpg.

That still isn't enough to make me like it. I would rather pay extra for some comfort.

Old 30 January 2012, 12:54 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Ok, the IQ may be different, but C1/Aygo/107/IQ all share very similar under-pinnings. :
djandyg will probably correct me, but while the C1/Aygo/107 are indeed all basically the same car, the IQ is significantly different inside and out.