Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Citroen C3 hdi

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2011, 11:38 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Citroen C3 hdi

I've got a brand new one (vtr+) as a courtesy car for a while and I couldn't believe the fuel consumption figures on the trip computer so thought i'd look them up.

70mpg or there abouts combined That's outrageous!

I've just cheched and didn't even know these had been around since 2002 and can be had for a couple of grand. Even those have combined of just shy of 70mpg.

I've always said i'd never have a French car but with that mpg i'm very interested. How do the older ones, say 2004 stack up? Are they still French pieces of cr4p or are they actually more reliable now and decent little motors?
Old 09 November 2011, 01:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a C4 VTR for 2 days whilst my Civic Type R was in the garage getting some warranty work done. It was a 2006 with 25k on the clock iirc. I could not believe what a crock of sh!te it was. Interior was a joke with cheap metallic effect plastic. Everything felt cheap. Id always slated french cars but thought they would have come on in the last 10 years. Ok my example was still 5 yrs old so not the best comparison but still.

My brother had a megane sport turbo and had nothing but problems with it before he wrote it off. Nothing engine wise just electric window motors, power steering amongst others.
Old 10 November 2011, 03:56 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply. I haven't driven it properly yet but inside even being the top of the range model it is fairly simple and plasticy. However i'm more interested in the mechanical reliabilty of the older ones as if good would make an ideal school run car. These do twice the mpg of the current school run car, an MGZR.

Got to use it tonight so will see what the real World figures are as got about a 40 mile round trip to do.
Old 10 November 2011, 04:42 PM
Masswithclass
Scooby Regular

It you drive 50/50 your looking around 60mpg, mine is getting 64.1mpg at the moment with Sensible driving, no problems as such as long as your getting them serviced when needed, then again I work for citroën so have to say that!!!! It is a decent car.
Old 10 November 2011, 10:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mate has a new C4 vtr+ 1.6 HDI 90, loves it nice car all in all, gets high 60's most of the time on a motorway cruise, in the 50's around town, he prefers it to the volvo he had before which as a 1.8 petrol didnt see much over 30mpg!

Reliability is alot better than it use to be with citroen, resale value still sucks though.

Tony
Old 11 November 2011, 01:12 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I had a 2003 70hp HDI, one of the best cars I had. The ride and handling are not that great I'll admit, but I'm 6'2" and over 20 stone, so comfort was my big thing and it had plenty of room.

I averaged 53-55mpg in London, 65mpg on the motorway. Best I ever got was 78mpg for a full tank when I really tried, worst was 43mpg when I ran as fast as the car would go down the M1 for 200 miles.

It was totally reliable for the 18 months/25k miles I had it. It needed a couple of services but that was it.
Old 11 November 2011, 08:32 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. Finally got to have a play with it last night, didn't realise it had a pull back roof lining exposing a massive windscreen that goes back over your head. Anyway that kept the kids amused looking at the moon/stars. It seemed it was about 60mpg most of the time on the motorway but I have no idea what the average was as I don't know how to make it display the overall trip mpg instead of real time mpg - there is no manual in the car and I pressed every button going!

Also the middle seat in the back is not big enough for a car seat to the wife had to sit there and my 6 year old in the front. But as a school run car that wouldn't really be an issue.

And yes handling is shocking, rolls like a 2CV compared to the MG which feels like it's on rails.

Trending Topics

Old 11 November 2011, 10:21 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

A bit of roll isn't too bad as long as there's some tautness to it.
Old 11 November 2011, 10:45 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

we had one for 2 weeks as a courtesy car in August this yr.

brand new, high spec etc.

it truely was one of the worse cars I've ever driven in every single aspect whatsoever.

mpg was great, but everything else was vile.

a tiny, grotty, badly put together, vile handling, guttless pile of poo.

I think it was about a £15k car too!!!!!!!!
Old 11 November 2011, 11:01 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

The wife had a c3 hdi for a while. fuel economy was excellent but we both hated driving it.
Even the visibility out of the thing was crap.