Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Number plate transfer ??

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2011, 12:12 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number plate transfer ??

Okay guys got a number plate retention certificate here which has been filled in by previous owner and just requires my own name and a cheque for £25 sent to DVLA to have me added as a Nominee, a bit confused about a couple off things ?

1/ Once received back will I receive a copy off this certificate as well as the Grantee ??guess not as when filling in my details to be added there is no request for my address ??

2/ anyone sent one off these V778 forms away to DVLA lately to have a nominee added, just wondering how long you waitted ??

3/ On the back off the certificate is says " the nominee shown where appropriiatte has no rights to this vehicle registration number " even when on my car whats to stop the grantee from registering it again on a vehicle off his / or once registered on my car does that mean that cant happen ??

lastly - the certificate runs out on the 1st off december which only gives 4 weeks for the dvla to process the paperwork, send it back to the original owner and then he send me the new certificate, going to be a bit tight ! do you think if I put a covering letter explaning this situation in with the certificate that DVLA will send directly to me the nominee ??

thats it !!

cheers
Old 30 October 2011, 12:27 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Why add yourself as a nominee, just get it on the car if paperwork is all signed?

TX.
Old 30 October 2011, 12:46 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thats where I am confused ? do I not have to get my name added to the certificate before I can legally get it assigned to my car ??
by signed I just mean the Grantee has signed his signature on the certificate prior to sending it to me for me to fill in my name and send off to have my own name added.

so you saying with this certificate I should be able get it put on my car straight away even thou my own name is not on this certificate as a nominee ?
Old 30 October 2011, 12:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Yes, you have to send it away, get your name added and then it will go back to the other guy, you will have to get it back off him and then go and put it on your car. Get it sent off today!
Old 30 October 2011, 01:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Why do you say that fella? I'm in the same boat (sold car with my plate, now have it back on reg certificate with new owners name albeit signed) & don't see why I can't just go do the DVLA & get it put back on my car ...

TX.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:08 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks I thought this would be the case as I could not see how you could get a plate which was not in your name registered on your car.

yep will get it sent today will try a covering letter explaning the time situation and see what happens.
Old 30 October 2011, 01:12 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I don't think they'll even notice fella. Why not just trot down to the DVLA local office & try to get it transferred to your car ... nowt to lose.

TX.

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2011, 03:42 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Terminator X
^^ Why do you say that fella? I'm in the same boat (sold car with my plate, now have it back on reg certificate with new owners name albeit signed) & don't see why I can't just go do the DVLA & get it put back on my car ...

TX.
Because it's a government office and t's need crossing and I's dotting, what you should have done is put it on retention before you sent him the v5, now you will need to send it off with £25 to get your name added as a nominee, and printed on, not writen, then it will go back to him and then it can go on your car

I don't make the rules!

In the middle of having a nightmare with mine as the vehicle it's on hasn't been taked in the last 12 months
Old 30 October 2011, 06:50 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Take it once my name has been added to this certificate as a nominee I can just take it along with the rest off my paperwork along to my local dvla office and get the plate assigned to my car there and then ??

the actual certificate does not have to be sent away yet again to do this ??
Old 30 October 2011, 08:29 PM
Scooby Senior

Yep, straight forward when your name is printed on the retention doc
Old 30 October 2011, 08:55 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks again, its been filled out and now posted along with the cheque for £25 so hopefully things will work out okay in the end !!
Old 30 October 2011, 10:13 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

For what it's worth I'll take mine there as is & let you know if they'll let it happen or not.

TX.
Old 30 October 2011, 11:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I've just done this.

Had a reg no. on retention in my name, bought a winter hack and had it registered in the wife's name.

As I wanted to use the retained reg I had to fill in her name on the retention certificate as the nominee, sign it myself as the Grantee and then give DVLA another £25. (retention fee was already paid).
The dealer I bought the car off went along to his local DVLA office and had the reg transferred there and then.

So yes, you've done it right.
Don't forget that you'll need either the V5C or the new owner slip to get your new plates!