Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Astra / corsa VXR

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2011, 10:40 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astra / corsa VXR

Got friends with both of these and managed to get a ride and drive in both. The Astra is running 260bhp, the corsa is an arctic running 230bhp. I was expecting the cars to be roughly the same sort of thing, just a different size. How wrong could I have been!!!!!

First I went in the Astra, then, a couple of nights later, the corsa. I was totally dissapointed with the Astra. The car felt sluggish, there was no real urge in the power delivery (even with the 'sport' button on) and the excitement of driving it was on par with trying to **** a hedgehog. The seats were quite comfy and I liked the driving position, but I didn't raise a smile once.

The corsa, on the other hand, was, well, amazing!!! Even just to look at it, its a pretty thing!! Got into it and loved the recaro's! The interior was better quality, the dash better laid out and the standard stereo was 10 times better. The drive was also in a different league. The car seemed a lot more urgent when coming on boost, although I think this gave me a slightly false sense of it actually being quicker than the astra! It handles bumps / dips and potholes better than the astra and, all in all, felt a hell of a lot 'nicer' than the astra.

Was wondering what you guys thought of the corsa and astra VXR and whether anyone agrees or disagrees with me??!!
Old 06 October 2011, 11:02 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.performance-car-guide.co....ra-GTE-Mk1.jpg

I had a red one of the above..... loved it until it was stolen, replaced by another which was stolen another 3 times (you guys don't remember the 80's)

Vauxhall have always produced a range of very "hit and miss" cars which is why private buyers go for them

Shaun
Old 07 October 2011, 12:57 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Corsa all the way buddy. Better looking, decent power as you know, not as many about nicer interior!
Old 07 October 2011, 08:16 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
http://www.performance-car-guide.co....ra-GTE-Mk1.jpg

I had a red one of the above..... loved it until it was stolen, replaced by another which was stolen another 3 times (you guys don't remember the 80's)

Vauxhall have always produced a range of very "hit and miss" cars which is why private buyers go for them

Shaun

now that I really like.

couldn't care less about new astra's or corsa's- just young lads cars !!

ah the 80's- when a cavalier sri 130bhp was seen as a really fast and powerful car !!! which it was compared to everything else.
Old 07 October 2011, 08:48 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
now that I really like.

couldn't care less about new astra's or corsa's- just young lads cars !!

ah the 80's- when a cavalier sri 130bhp was seen as a really fast and powerful car !!! which it was compared to everything else.
Thanks for the input mate, but if you coulden't care less about the subject matter of this thread, don't bother commenting. I'm asking people what their opinions are of vauxhall astra and corsa VXR's, which is, funnily enough, the title of this thread!!!!
Old 07 October 2011, 09:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the astra felt sluggish then it wasnt running right or anywhere near 260bhp, that engine is quite a peach really, think it has a problem and you should get your mate to get it checked out

The Corsa VXR is a quick little car though, and running 40+bhp over standard I hope it does feel quick

Tony
Old 07 October 2011, 09:31 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine bought a Corsa VXR, nice car but what a price! I thought there were not so many about, but four more appeared just on Brize camp! He was not impressed!

As I said, a nice car, nicer and rarer than the Astra.

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2011, 03:52 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Astra VXR with the Dreamscience remap - supposed to be around 285bhp?
It was a handful but rapid, heavy steering, suspension coped, brakes ok, gears precise, approx 23mpg around town and with it being the later 2007my had a better feel to the interior with PB start and piano black trim - enjoyed the car and wish i'd kept it

I've heard a lot about the Corsa VXRs and problem pistons when remapped which is why i wouldn't want 1 (couldn't afford the repair bills) and not liking the indiglo dials - a bit too tacky, the bodykit doesn't really help either as it doesn't look factory?
Old 07 October 2011, 04:24 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

my bosses boy has the artic corsa vxr it has a remus full decat pops and bangs all day long really fun to drive apart from when it rains just spins
Old 07 October 2011, 04:34 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Good to hear some mixed reviews on both!

I too have heard of problems with the 4th piston when remapped? I liked the corsa that much that I think I'm gonna get one when the scob finally sells, hopefully soon. I love the scoob, but fuel costs are doing my head in. I seem to put £25 in, get 3 miles down the road and need to stop at the petrol station again. On the computer in the arctic, it was reading up to 44 on the dual carriageway, cruising along at 65 - 70mph. Standard they are apparantly 36mpg, but the regal remap has helped it get slightly better figures.

Might sound strange, but the corsa felt 'special' when I was driving it. The Astra felt like I was driving any other car.
Old 07 October 2011, 05:06 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

my sister has an 1.6t SRi corsa (de-tuned VXr) and thats a hoot to drive, so the VXR corsa must be pretty fun.
Ive recently got back in touch with a mate, and he has a nurburgring astra vxr and im looking forward to seeing what thats like!
Old 09 October 2011, 08:11 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Don't mind either but prefer the insignia vxr myself
Old 09 October 2011, 09:43 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the astra and it did make me smile but it was tight inside so I got a scooby and it's a diff world

The wrx-s was same bhp but totally diff no lag great, obviously now I've got an sti saloon and that's even nicer

I have just bought the wife a meriva turbo se fully loaded I hope to mess with it at somepoinrt hehe should be good for 160

But that new corsa is 23k that's a lot for a roller-skate
Old 13 October 2011, 10:18 PM
triggster
Scooby Regular

I used to have an Astra vxr with a remus exhuast, really capable cars, could easily get 30mpg and more when driven steady, less than half the ins for any of my scoobys, and really unless your going for it off the lights you need to be near 300bhp in an impreza to see it off easily, had an evo 8 gsr 260 too, that was neck and neck with the astra until it was stage 1 tuned. I think they are great cars just dont forget to hold on tightly to the steering wheel ! lol