Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Watchdog vs French Cars

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2011, 09:09 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Watchdog vs French Cars

Anyone watch it or have experienced the brake problem?
Old 27 May 2011, 09:46 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I missed it but was told it was good.

Something to do with the floor flexing causing the brakes to come on.

Hunting for a copy of it as we speak.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13566999

Last edited by Rescue Dude; 27 May 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 27 May 2011, 10:09 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Aside from a couple of the Renault Sport models I don't think I'd ever want to own a car from a French manufacturer. Cheap designs and shoddily constructed. Any friends of ours that have had them (Xsara Picasso seemed to be the favourite) always seem to have problems. Think I'll stick to German or Japanese
Old 27 May 2011, 11:07 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
No I missed it but was told it was good.

Something to do with the floor flexing causing the brakes to come on.

Hunting for a copy of it as we speak.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13566999
The brake master cylinder is on the left for the LHD but was not transferred over for RHD. A connecting bar is fitted instead. You can put your foot under the glove box and apply the brake.

It was pointed out after someones passenger turned round to do something in the back of the car, their foot caught the bar and applied the brakes, not good when your wazzing down the motorway!
Old 27 May 2011, 03:15 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Aside from a couple of the Renault Sport models I don't think I'd ever want to own a car from a French manufacturer. Cheap designs and shoddily constructed. Any friends of ours that have had them (Xsara Picasso seemed to be the favourite) always seem to have problems. Think I'll stick to German or Japanese
I think the French car design is up to the highest standard with innovative features and engineering excellence. Mostly great to drive and thoughtful features make ownership great if it wasn't for the dodgy electric, cheap components and some trim bits, and dealers are among the worst. As I’m sure you’ve gathered we have a French car as a family car. Buttons to buy, service, insure etc but often costly to put right. I have a £18 a month warranty from warranty direct.

German car’s are as problematic, better build, better residuals, more expensive to buy and on a par with the French for running costs, dealers are 10000% better. The Honda we had was good but bland, bland, bland very expensive to insure and fuel and dealers were savagely expensive although I think when referring to normal cars that Toyota cars are cheaper to buy and run.

To conclude I would like a German quality French car with Jap running gear and a value for money Porsche dealership looking after it – perfect.
Old 27 May 2011, 03:50 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I think the French car design is up to the highest standard with innovative features and engineering excellence. Mostly great to drive and thoughtful features make ownership great if it wasn't for the dodgy electric, cheap components and some trim bits, and dealers are among the worst. As I’m sure you’ve gathered we have a French car as a family car. Buttons to buy, service, insure etc but often costly to put right. I have a £18 a month warranty from warranty direct.

German car’s are as problematic, better build, better residuals, more expensive to buy and on a par with the French for running costs, dealers are 10000% better. The Honda we had was good but bland, bland, bland very expensive to insure and fuel and dealers were savagely expensive although I think when referring to normal cars that Toyota cars are cheaper to buy and run.

To conclude I would like a German quality French car with Jap running gear and a value for money Porsche dealership looking after it – perfect.

Dont run down Honda's or you'll have PSLewis on ya back! pmsl