Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MGF ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2002, 09:08 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Summer is on it's way and the Mrs wants an MGF, looking to buy a V reg (ish) MGF, are there any known problems I need to know about.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 20 April 2002, 10:36 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Check out the car-by-car breakdown on www.honestjohn.co.uk then maybe you'll see sense and get an mx5 instead
Old 20 April 2002, 04:22 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

I have friends with a Rover 218vvc coupe, the engine is a nice lightweight and reasonably pokey unit, akin to the Vtec, but not so highly tuned. Not a bad little motor though
Old 20 April 2002, 06:14 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

well apart from the leaks from the top of the window to roof area, when the door is opened in the rain because of it having no gutters the water runs onto the seat or you leg.
Mechanically there not too bad, suspension can leak (hydrogas) so the car drops at one corner, this will need pumping up at a dealer. The worst prob is HGF (head gasket failure) which seems to be quite common, dealers say its because with the engine being mid mount it doesnt get enough cooling. At the moment there are a lot of Mgs and Rovers off the road because of a parts shortage as rover have changed suppliers, the dealers have run out of parts such as head gaskets, heads, etc
Just make sure if you do decide to buy one you dont mind the rattle that are standard to them

Old 21 April 2002, 10:19 AM
Andy-P
Scooby Regular

I was an MGF technician for 3 years, before moving on to better things, and the best advise I can give you is to walk away.

They are terrible cars...... headgaskets, rattles, collapsing suspension, rattles, water ingress, shock absorbers, tyre wear, doors not opening, in fact you name it and I've probably had to fix it at some point.

What do you expect really from a car made up of parts from other cars..... Metro subframes front and rear, metro steering rack, Maestro brake discs, Gearbox first seen in Montego, etc, etc.

Brand new ones are not to bad to drive, but they seem to age very quickly and after a couple of years are crap, you would think the car was 10 years old and not 2.

Walk away.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:43 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks very much guy's, I heard some rumours that they where a bit **** and this has confirmed what I'd heard. An MGF is off the list.

Again Cheers guy's.

And guess what, she'd changed her mind anyway!!

Leigh