Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Almera GTi

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 11:03 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I know it's ugly or plain (depending on your point of view) but have been considering upgrading my Citroen ZX Volcane (8v).

The Almera Gti has 143 bhp, is supposed to be pretty decent for ride, handling and of course reliability... Can pick up something decent (P reg onwards) for about 4K which is within the price range.

Anyone driven one, have any opinions on this motor?
Old 20 April 2002, 12:09 AM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

They are suppossed to handle superbly and be quite quick, butm look a bit, well lame...

They are in the Autocar Top 10 used hot hatch list and by all accounts are a great car.

Only ever driven a non GTi Almera, from work and it wasn't great!

Old 20 April 2002, 01:01 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

The share the same basic chassis from the P11 Primera!

That, incase you didn't know, is a very good start! The handling in the Primera SRi is superb, and I wouldn't imagine the Almera GTi would be that far behind! The SR20DE engine is very solid and reliable, and can be tuned fairly easily. Slap a turbo on it and you have the same engine as the Sunny GTiR or the 200SX!
Old 20 April 2002, 08:30 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

tallsteve
I had an Almera GTI for about 2 years from new it was an S reg one so it had a sightly different body kit than say a P reg one, different aerial location, might be a few differances not too sure now.
I had it from new and could not fault the car overall. Not the best looking car in the world by any stretch of the imagination but very well built (especilly the latter ones). They certainly go better than the 143 or so bhp suggests. Handling is very good, prorbably aided by the stut braces front and rear, and the excellent chassis. I found that tyre wear could be fairly heavy, but that was prprobly due to my driving style. Tuning the engine is very easy. Good car overall in my opinion, I imagine an excellent second hand buy,
ps try and get a dark colured one with full Nissan body kit if you can
Richard
Old 21 April 2002, 03:46 AM
Blitz_Boy
Scooby Regular

Cool

The Almera GTi is an excellent car. I would rather own one of those than a brand new Golf GTi.
The SR20DE block sounds brilliant after 4000RPM with K&N induction kit.
My cousin owns the later model with a 5" DP motorsport exhaust and K&N induction and from what I can remember he can beat A4s, most A3s inc. 1.8turbos and Mondeo ST24.
The handling and build quality is excellent too and for £4k is an excellent price depending on the mileage.
Also try and get the full bodykit too.