Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone know anything about Shoguns?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2011, 11:52 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about Shoguns?

A mate is looking for a shogun to tow his catering trailer. He doesn't have lots to play about £4K max.

Most seem to be either big miles or shadey looking JDM imports. Theres one local-ish thats £2.5K but it's a bit old on a 1996 (P) but it's only done 64K. It is petrol though so it's going to drink the fuel a bit.

I suggested that he should offer £2.2K for the Shogun then look into getting it converted to LPG. The conversion will be £1400 for a V6 petrol.

I think going this route (assuming the Shogun doesn't throw up a massive bill) is going to be the most cost effective. He won't get the conversion costs back on the Shogun but the mileage he will be doing - and the type of miles as it's all twisty roads and hills everywhere round here means that the LPG conversion will pay for itself in short time.

If anyone has previous experience with Shoguns I'd appreciate any opinions or issues they may have.
Old 11 May 2011, 01:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are thirsty beasts even with a LPG conversion. I had a lpg converted 3.5 V6 model, and it struggled to do 15 mpg. At that price and age I would be looking for one that has already had the LPG conversion done. Be aware there are some good LPG conversion and some bad ones.
Unless your mate is set on a shogun (and I would only consider a diesel shogun, then quite a bit of choice out there for 4K, would personally aviod the LR products and stick to either Japanese or Korean , ie Nissan, (terrano or patrol), Toyota (landcruiser), Kia Sorento, Isuzu trooper, Ssangyong.

Richard
Old 11 May 2011, 05:46 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I used to have Pajero 2.8 diesel Exceed lwb. Far better than a Shogun. Loads better equipped and for 4k he should get a fairly good one. Dodgy imports
I bought mine from the jap import auctions at Donington.

Last edited by MMT WRX; 11 May 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:16 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Isuzu trooper all the way,i had one for shooting,had 300,000 on the same engine,bombproof.
Old 11 May 2011, 06:17 PM
jta
Scooby Regular

He would be better off with a king cab pick up you can carry stock and generators in the back without unhooking trailor lol
Old 12 May 2011, 12:18 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
I used to have Pajero 2.8 diesel Exceed lwb. Far better than a Shogun. Loads better equipped and for 4k he should get a fairly good one. Dodgy imports
I bought mine from the jap import auctions at Donington.
I thought the Pajero was named Shogun cos it meant w@nker in Spanish.
Old 12 May 2011, 12:23 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
A mate is looking for a shogun to tow his catering trailer. He doesn't have lots to play about £4K max.

Most seem to be either big miles or shadey looking JDM imports. Theres one local-ish thats £2.5K but it's a bit old on a 1996 (P) but it's only done 64K. It is petrol though so it's going to drink the fuel a bit.

I suggested that he should offer £2.2K for the Shogun then look into getting it converted to LPG. The conversion will be £1400 for a V6 petrol.

I think going this route (assuming the Shogun doesn't throw up a massive bill) is going to be the most cost effective. He won't get the conversion costs back on the Shogun but the mileage he will be doing - and the type of miles as it's all twisty roads and hills everywhere round here means that the LPG conversion will pay for itself in short time.

If anyone has previous experience with Shoguns I'd appreciate any opinions or issues they may have.
I'm taking that it's a LWB and 3.0 or 3.5. They're thirsty but reliable. My MY1999 with 220,000km's on the clock has been brilliant. Have to say to date I replaced the water pump at 210,000km's but other than that nothing. I've thrown it around a lot too.

Great cars and you can get 7 in it

Recommend it but look for the JDM's they're not too bad.

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2011, 01:05 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Roo
I thought the Pajero was named Shogun cos it meant w@nker in Spanish.
It is.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:14 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Got an 2002 Shogun 4 Work (clubsport ) short wheel base, had it from new.

It's fantastic. Spends half of it's time with a 16ft Ifor Williams and anything up to around 2 tonnes of oak/woodwork machine/rally car on the back. And we can't seem to break it.

Problems in 9 years? One battery, one exhaust back box, one interior light bulb. That's it. Our old Defender would have snapped in half by now.

It actually goes like stink, drives like a car, comfortable, quiet, and even handles pretty well.

In last years snow and ice it was unstoppable, especially with locking centre and rear diffs.

And with RWD, a LSD rear axle, bags of torque, Russian Ditchfinder tyres and SWB, it makes a very unlikely but highly effective drift machine.
Old 12 May 2011, 05:11 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

a friends shogun did 280,000 miles. still looked/went great. can't recall him every complaining about it. very slow though.
Old 14 May 2011, 06:54 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Sister had one for about 10 years for carting her brood around.

Loved it with a passion.Can't remember her ever chuntering about it.Just sad when it had to go

The Japanese are just so good at all sorts of cars
Old 14 May 2011, 07:05 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
a friends shogun did 280,000 miles. still looked/went great. can't recall him every complaining about it. very slow though.
The Pajero 2.8 lwb turbo diesel auto I had would shock most cars in a drag from the lights and would cruise at a ton all day if you wanted. Separate climate control in the back, super select 4 wheel drive can be selected at whilst traveling, low box, 7 seats. I would choose the Pajero over the shogun every time.
Old 14 May 2011, 07:43 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
The Pajero 2.8 lwb turbo diesel auto I had would shock most cars in a drag from the lights and would cruise at a ton all day if you wanted. Separate climate control in the back, super select 4 wheel drive can be selected at whilst traveling, low box, 7 seats. I would choose the Pajero over the shogun every time.

You,d be doing very well to cruise " at a ton all day" , seeing as the offiicial tested top speed is 94mph! Maybe the speedo was still in km so a ton would be 62mph-more like it!! And 0-60 in 16.8 secs so you might "shock" the occasional cyclist
Old 15 May 2011, 10:55 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
You,d be doing very well to cruise " at a ton all day" , seeing as the offiicial tested top speed is 94mph! Maybe the speedo was still in km so a ton would be 62mph-more like it!! And 0-60 in 16.8 secs so you might "shock" the occasional cyclist
Maybe not so great 0 - 60 but what I meant was that they're quite quick off the mark for biggish auto truck, I think perhaps the 0 - 30 would surprise a lot of people. I took mine greenlaning in the Yorkshire moors with the POCUK and then a trip around Windermere and back. I have a Tom Tom satnav and it confirmed the speedo was accurate.
Anyway my real point was that the Pajero is a better bet than the Shogun.