Range Rover Evoque

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2011, 04:36 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Range Rover Evoque

http://www.totallymotor.co.uk/new-ca...evoque-sub-28k

One was parked on our company car park at the weekend with an 11 plate on it.

Thought it was just a concept so was rather amazed!!! Did some research and seems meant to be out in the summer...obviously not!its out now then

Not big but,well,interesting.Looks like you have to be 5'4'' or smaller though to get in the back.Looks like very small windows
Old 17 April 2011, 06:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the point of this car?
Old 17 April 2011, 06:57 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

No idea! just thought it was a concept...clearly not!
Old 17 April 2011, 07:24 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Don't mind it myself.

Give it a decent TDI motor, and it'd be ideal as an everyday car. Come the winter, and it'll be the ideal car for not getting stuck.

EDIT.
Overpriced though.

Last edited by stilover; 17 April 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 17 April 2011, 08:13 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Don't mind it myself.

Give it a decent TDI motor, and it'd be ideal as an everyday car. Come the winter, and it'll be the ideal car for not getting stuck.

EDIT.
Overpriced though.
I think there will be thousands on the waiting list for one of these - the ultimate fashion accessory for those who have the money, even if it's basically a Freelander underneath, with the 2.2 Ford TDCI or the new 2 litre turbo petrol that's in the new Focus. And because of the demand I think it will depreciate very little initially. I'd pay the extra £800 to have the 4WD version - 2WD products out of 'Solihull' are just wrong and demages the brand.

It's not as overpriced as a top spec Mini Countryman though. And who would ever have thought that a (Germand) Mini would compete against an (Indian) Range Rover?
Old 17 April 2011, 08:23 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
What is the point of this car?
To get from A to B like all others.
Old 17 April 2011, 08:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
I think there will be thousands on the waiting list for one of these - the ultimate fashion accessory for those who have the money, even if it's basically a Freelander underneath, with the 2.2 Ford TDCI or the new 2 litre turbo petrol that's in the new Focus. And because of the demand I think it will depreciate very little initially. I'd pay the extra £800 to have the 4WD version - 2WD products out of 'Solihull' are just wrong and demages the brand.

It's not as overpriced as a top spec Mini Countryman though. And who would ever have thought that a (Germand) Mini would compete against an (Indian) Range Rover?
Exactly. It's a freelander with a new more fashionable coupe body. It's not even a proper off roader though, like a more effeminate BMW X6.

I really cannot see the point in these cars, and I think in a few years time we will laugh about 'em.
Old 17 April 2011, 09:51 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

It is due out in late summer, prices start at 28k up to 37k, it will be launched with a 2.2td also has a 2ltr diesel as well as a turbo petrol, 4x4 or 2wd take your choice, over 50mpg!!!! not bad for a 4wd.

Oh and whats wrong with using the freelander chassis? its the best off roader in its class!!!!!!!

There is already a massive waiting list for the cars and the car you would of seen is a test model as there are a lot out there now.

I have sat in the rear of a 5 door and im 5ft 11 and there was plenty of room.

You could say whats the point in a scoob as a focus is just as quick.

Oh and one last thing, its built in Halewood

Last edited by moneys; 17 April 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 17 April 2011, 10:29 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys

There is already a massive waiting list for the cars and the car you would of seen is a test model as there are a lot out there now.
Cheers moneys

What's a test model and what is it doing on a normal plate and not disguised?

If anyone is good with technology,PM me your mobile number and I will forward the pics I took and you can put them up on here (hiding the plate of course!!)...I'd like to see them myself!!
Old 18 April 2011, 08:54 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Actually quite like the styling of this car...
Old 18 April 2011, 09:26 AM
subby
Scooby Newbie

And I quote:-
The new 'baby Range Rover' Evoque will be the smallest and most fuel-efficient SUV ever launched by the British brand - and its birth has also created 2,500 British jobs. UK companies have also been awarded £2 billion in contracts to build it at the British Halewood plant.
Nuff Said.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:33 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

It's going to sell mostly as a 2WD dressed like a 4WD.

Nuff said.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Looks like a mini on steroids
Old 18 April 2011, 11:10 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by subby
The new 'baby Range Rover' Evoque will be the smallest and most fuel-efficient SUV ever launched by the British brand - and its birth has also created 2,500 British jobs. UK companies have also been awarded £2 billion in contracts to build it at the British Halewood plant.
Nuff Said.
But all the profit will go abroad.

We all know the fuel efficiency is not done in the real world but in a test bay and people struggle to get near the quoted figure.

As said most will be 2WD Chelsea Tractors for school runs and the shops. Come the winter and they will all be static car displays or fish tailing to the shops near you
Old 18 April 2011, 04:10 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Cheers moneys

What's a test model and what is it doing on a normal plate and not disguised?

If anyone is good with technology,PM me your mobile number and I will forward the pics I took and you can put them up on here (hiding the plate of course!!)...I'd like to see them myself!!

the test models are fully functioning cars that are simply put out there in every day motoring conditions, the driver will fill in a sheet of paper with any issues or glitches, basically he is doing fault finding and also making the car more suitable for the public, there will be silly things that you dont notice thats up with a brand new model like simply the air con button is in the wrong position or wind noise from somewhere or a ride issue.

They put them on a proper plate as its a fully road legal car, your cant drive round using a car all the time like this on trade plates.
Old 18 April 2011, 04:12 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
But all the profit will go abroad.

We all know the fuel efficiency is not done in the real world but in a test bay and people struggle to get near the quoted figure.

As said most will be 2WD Chelsea Tractors for school runs and the shops. Come the winter and they will all be static car displays or fish tailing to the shops near you

why will all the profit go abroad? come on lets see where your getting your info from and then ill tell you some of the truth
Old 18 April 2011, 05:08 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

why will all the profit go abroad? come on lets see where your getting your info from and then ill tell you some of the truth
TATA that famous UK Company own's Range Rover.
Old 18 April 2011, 05:28 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Freelander is also available as 2WD now. It's cack.
Old 18 April 2011, 06:28 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

loads of them down south I saw 3 on one stretch of the m1 about 3-4 miles of driving.
Old 18 April 2011, 08:46 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
TATA that famous UK Company own's Range Rover.

So their taking ALL the profits back to India then? Nope dont think so, do your research and come back to me
Old 18 April 2011, 08:51 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Freelander is also available as 2WD now. It's cack.

Matteeboy, am i right or wrong that even in 2wd form the Freelander is best in its class for driving ability both on and off the road? miles better than a so called 4wd scoob would be off road as well.

I dont understand some people in this country, why dont you support British made products?????? Dont bring the owners into it, Land rover and Range rover are ALL made here in the UK. you may of heard about factorys being opened abroad, companies have done this for years as it allows them to get by the import duties as we then make the cars in kit form (known as KD) and then we ship them out and they are put together in a small factory abroad, this means a RR can be sold for a reasonable amount instead of having to pay extortinate amount of import duty.

get behind the products instead of putting them down
Old 18 April 2011, 09:12 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I think to a lot of people the Evoque lost a lot of credibility when that skinny bint Beckham got involved with the interior 'design'.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:13 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Moneys - get off your high horse. We bought a 57 reg 110XS Defender four months ago and love it.

I just don't like "pretend" off roaders. The 2WD Freelander is cack compared to the 4WD version and even then some off road tracks state they are fine for all but the Freelander...

Oh and just to let you know why many don't support UK cars - a NEW Defender is often rusty on delivery and has pretty much no corrosion proofing (they need annual Waxoylng) The Disco is HORRENDOUSLY unreliable. The RR is also very prone to breakdowns.

However they do the jobs they are built for very well so owners like me just take it as a given that to look after these BRITISH cars, you need to invest a lot more time and money caring for them than almost any other nations cars. That doesn't sit well with many owners shelling out big money for their vehicles.

Land Rover have always made kick **** 4x4 but they have always been unreliable - my wife took her test in a new 90 pickup (a while back) that had all sorts of issues. That on top of a new RR (classic now) that broke down weekly. And me doing two years Geotech engineering - only Defenders could tow our drilling rigs but boy did they need a LOT of tlc to keep them going.

Hell I'm so anti LR and UK that if you squint, you could even call my Defender a form of British Racing Green...

Yes they are doing 2WD cars to keep "green" but it's a bit like Ferrari doing a diesel shopping hatchback...
Old 18 April 2011, 09:14 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Oops - double post...

Last edited by Matteeboy; 18 April 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subby
Nuff Said.
Surely at some point a car becomes too small to be an SUV?

I still ask what is the point of a car like this that rides high mimicking an off road car and has pretty coupe styling?
Old 18 April 2011, 09:27 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

The point of a car like this is that the manufacturers know that lots of people will buy them.

Whether it's a $hite ride and is crap off-road or not, it will sell.

In bucket loads.
Old 19 April 2011, 04:26 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I think to a lot of people the Evoque lost a lot of credibility when that skinny bint Beckham got involved with the interior 'design'.

the reason behind using her was the simple fact that she is in the top 5 of the most recognised woman in the world, did you see the media coverage they got when they announced she was involved???? i had the same head scratching moment when it was announced but it does make sense
Old 19 April 2011, 04:33 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Moneys - get off your high horse. We bought a 57 reg 110XS Defender four months ago and love it.

I just don't like "pretend" off roaders. The 2WD Freelander is cack compared to the 4WD version and even then some off road tracks state they are fine for all but the Freelander...

Oh and just to let you know why many don't support UK cars - a NEW Defender is often rusty on delivery and has pretty much no corrosion proofing (they need annual Waxoylng) The Disco is HORRENDOUSLY unreliable. The RR is also very prone to breakdowns.

However they do the jobs they are built for very well so owners like me just take it as a given that to look after these BRITISH cars, you need to invest a lot more time and money caring for them than almost any other nations cars. That doesn't sit well with many owners shelling out big money for their vehicles.

Land Rover have always made kick **** 4x4 but they have always been unreliable - my wife took her test in a new 90 pickup (a while back) that had all sorts of issues. That on top of a new RR (classic now) that broke down weekly. And me doing two years Geotech engineering - only Defenders could tow our drilling rigs but boy did they need a LOT of tlc to keep them going.

Hell I'm so anti LR and UK that if you squint, you could even call my Defender a form of British Racing Green...

Yes they are doing 2WD cars to keep "green" but it's a bit like Ferrari doing a diesel shopping hatchback...
the reason they say the freelander cant do some of the off road courses is purely cos of ground clearance, yes the lr's and rr's have reliability issues but they are sorting this, compared to land rover under ford they have made massive leaps forward. my wife has a lexus 4x4 (if you can call it that) and thats part of the once famous best brand ever, well its just had 4k's worth of warranty work on it.

Oh and havent Ferrari just made a 4x4 fast back car that looks like a bmw?
Old 19 April 2011, 07:19 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A £230k V12 4wd car isn't really a shopping hatch!

Annoying about the Lexus. What happened?
Old 19 April 2011, 08:37 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

So their taking ALL the profits back to India then? Nope dont think so, do your research and come back to me
Obviously you work there, won't take any critical comment and have not done your history on the industrial business plans of companies.

One sniff of a down turn and they'll run like **** back home. Don't forget we send billions in aid to India and TATA have received government subsidies to stay here and build. Win Win!

Quick Reply: Range Rover Evoque